Block Gear Changes

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby RobC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Who does them both up and down the gearbox?
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby akirk » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Absolutely - where possible
- manual Kuga, yes
- auto Z3, in theory no with a sequential auto box - but in reality yes, because even when you tell it to change it is not always immediate, meaning that it sometimes catches up by jumping from e.g. 4 - 2. The car will also do it automatically when coming to a stop - if you are in 3 / 4 / 5 when stopping the car puts you into 2nd.
- Series 2a - who knows, generally random which gear you end up in!

Alasdair
Last edited by akirk on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akirk

Postby revian » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Me...
Wirral
revian

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 pm

+1
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:31 pm

+ another
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Sometimes on the car, but never on the bike*.

* Because it's sequential changes :lol: Nearest that can be achieved is keeping the clutch in and clicking through.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby discov8 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:09 pm

And me
discov8

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Only on downshifts. I don't give a stuff about economy but, then, I'm from a bygone age.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby waremark » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:41 pm

Why might you not?
waremark

Postby RobC » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:54 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Only on downshifts. I don't give a stuff about economy but, then, I'm from a bygone age.

When I learnt to drive in the 1970's you couldn't block gear change up the box as you only had 4 gears and engines weren't as flexible. Today 6 gears are common and I often miss out 3rd and 5th.

Its not just for economy, block gear changes reduces wear & tear thorough not using that gear & clutch, and also keeping both hands on the wheel more, which is one reason why a lot of buses are automatic.

I'm not saying you're wrong for not block gear changing, I was just wondering which groups taught it.
If you read Roadcraft there is surprisingly no mention of block gear changes. All Roadcraft says is to be in the right gear at the right time.
Last edited by RobC on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobC

Postby RobC » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:00 am

waremark wrote:Why might you not?

There is no mention of block gear changing in Roadcraft, correct me if Im wrong!

Thais is what our examiner says

The issue of block changing was mentioned and xxxx said that this is never taught to Police drivers. He was
particularly scathing about the use of block changing whilst changing up – saying that this can
never be justified as it would mean over revving in a lower gear.
RobC

Postby true blue » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:08 am

Frequently.

Downchanges to suit the original and target speed. Upchanges to suit the gear ratios and engine characteristics of the car I'm in, as well as my desire for continued acceleration.

I very rarely miss more than one gear on upchanges. I have found 3-6 to be a genuinely applicable gear change on slip roads, otherwise 1-4 or 2-5 are things that I know are possible in one of my cars but with no commonplace application.
true blue

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:25 am

RobC wrote:All Roadcraft says is to be in the right gear at the right time.

Says it all, upshifts are about progress, so, take all gears, downshifts approaching a hazard, brake or lift, select the appropriate gear to negotiate the hazard,whilst ensuring that gear will enable progress from that hazard. Really simple, if we're talking Roadcraft.
WhoseGeneration

Postby true blue » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:29 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:

Says it all, upshifts are about progress, so, take all gears, downshifts approaching a hazard, brake or lift, select the appropriate gear to negotiate the hazard,whilst ensuring that gear will enable progress from that hazard. Really simple, if we're talking Roadcraft.

At some point, you don't need any more 'progress' and just want a sensible cruising gear.

I'm coming to the end of a 30mph village, in 3rd gear. I pass the NSL sign, and accelerate briskly up to 60mph in 3rd gear, nowhere near the redline. 5th is a sensible gear for a 60mph road with no twisties. Why would I go via 4th?
true blue

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:48 am

true blue wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:

At some point, you don't need any more 'progress' and just want a sensible cruising gear.

I'm coming to the end of a 30mph village, in 3rd gear. I pass the NSL sign, and accelerate briskly up to 60mph in 3rd gear, nowhere near the redline. 5th is a sensible gear for a 60mph road with no twisties. Why would I go via 4th?

Remember for whom Roadcraft is written and I did say, "if we're talking Roadcraft".
So, any other is free to do what suits them.
WhoseGeneration

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum