Block Gear Changes

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby akirk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:29 pm

RobC wrote:Roadcraft doesn't teach you advanced driving since that is a practical skill. To be an advanced driver you also need to be able to think for yourself.

That might depend on your definition of Advanced Driving :) on the basis that the learner test is primarily car control with associated observation, it doesn't take much further depth of learning to be more advanced, certainly someone driving to the Roadcraft suggestions would be an advanced driver - though I agree there is still much further to go

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Gareth » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 pm

RobC wrote:Roadcraft is only a reference book and not a very comprehensive one on some aspects its seems.

It requires the reader to think about the implications of what is written. Some might see that as one of its good points.

For example, my 2004 copy (yellow cover) says "engage a chosen gear without going through an intermediate gear first" but then rather spoils it (compared to my 1989 copy - blue cover) by explaining some quite basic stuff about gears.

For comparison, the blue book says "The first class driver should aim always ... To be capable of engaging a particular gear without first using an intermediate gear."

By the by, it is possible that your examiner friend is exceptionally old? I only ask because I've noticed that my 1961 copy says that care must be taken not to over-rev an intermediate gear when accelerating :shock: Anyway, it goes on to use the exact same words as the blue book, quoted above.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby RobC » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Gareth wrote:
RobC wrote:Roadcraft is only a reference book and not a very comprehensive one on some aspects its seems.

It requires the reader to think about the implications of what is written. Some might see that as one of its good points.

For example, my 2004 copy (yellow cover) says "engage a chosen gear without going through an intermediate gear first" but then rather spoils it (compared to my 1989 copy - blue cover) by explaining some quite basic stuff about gears.

For comparison, the blue book says "The first class driver should aim always ... To be capable of engaging a particular gear without first using an intermediate gear."

By the by, it is possible that your examiner friend is exceptionally old? I only ask because I've noticed that my 1961 copy says that care must be taken not to over-rev an intermediate gear when accelerating :shock: Anyway, it goes on to use the exact same words as the blue book, quoted above.

Hi Gareth

The examiner isn't old at all and his comment that 'block changing whilst changing up is never taught to Police drivers and that it can never be justified as it would mean over revving in a lower gear' was said in one of his talks to the group about what to expect on the IAM test and recorded in the group newsletter. I agree its 1960's and 70's thinking relevant when cars had 4 speed gearboxes. Maybe his Police instructor was old :?

The local group accepted this statement since it came from an examiner, however for me credibility was lost and I stopped going to meetings.

Rob
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:26 pm

Our local examiner came to talk to us and told us he didn't want to see DDC on a test because it was an old-fashioned technique and no longer necessary. I'm sure I sneaked a couple under his nose last Friday ... :lol:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby RobC » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Our local examiner came to talk to us and told us he didn't want to see DDC on a test because it was an old-fashioned technique and no longer necessary. I'm sure I sneaked a couple under his nose last Friday ... :lol:

Maybe the examiner was out of the car cranking the starting handle at the time and didn't see you Nick :D
RobC

Postby waremark » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:14 am

RobC wrote:
waremark wrote:Why might you not?

There is no mention of block gear changing in Roadcraft, correct me if Im wrong!

[quote]

I should be delighted! Roadcraft 2013 Page 97: "Engage a chosen gear without going through an intermediate gear first".

Incidentally, I do not know if Roadcraft uses the term 'block changing'. The IAM publication HTBABD does use that term (Page 45).

I don't think you can generalise about what gear sequence is suitable without knowing the specific characteristics of a particular car. In my powerful car which is also very flexible, I cannot imagine ever changing 1-2-3-4-5-6. Most commonly I use only one intermediate gear between first and 6th, either 1-2-6 or 1-4-6. That enables me to keep up with, or ahead of, the traffic in a smooth, efficient and mechanically sympathetic fashion. I have previously commented that I do not like to use high revs unless looking for a high level of acceleration. Similarly, it would seem fussy to go through all the gears unless extending the car to a very high speed.
waremark

Postby RobC » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 am

waremark wrote:
RobC wrote:
waremark wrote:Why might you not?

There is no mention of block gear changing in Roadcraft, correct me if Im wrong!

I should be delighted! Roadcraft 2013 Page 97: "Engage a chosen gear without going through an intermediate gear first".

Incidentally, I do not know if Roadcraft uses the term 'block changing'. The IAM publication HTBABD does use that term (Page 45).

I don't think you can generalise about what gear sequence is suitable without knowing the specific characteristics of a particular car. In my powerful car which is also very flexible, I cannot imagine ever changing 1-2-3-4-5-6. Most commonly I use only one intermediate gear between first and 6th, either 1-2-6 or 1-4-6. That enables me to keep up with, or ahead of, the traffic in a smooth, efficient and mechanically sympathetic fashion. I have previously commented that I do not like to use high revs unless looking for a high level of acceleration. Similarly, it would seem fussy to go through all the gears unless extending the car to a very high speed.

Hi Mark

The brief comment in Roadcraft about missing out an intermediate gear has been pointed out, however Roadcraft doesn't put a name to this technique nor gives a reason for using it namely as you say mechanical sympathy and also economy and safety. I agree fully with your comments but also add that you can block gearchange even in small engine cars these days.
Roadcraft doesn't state that you can miss out an intermediate gear both changing down and up and at a talk our examiner said that the Police never block change changing up, saying it would over rev the engine and my local group accepted that :cry:
I haven't seen the other IAM publication you mention, and presumably neither have the Police!

Rob
RobC

Postby vonhosen » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:51 am

RobC wrote:Hi Mark

The brief comment in Roadcraft about missing out an intermediate gear has been pointed out, however Roadcraft doesn't put a name to this technique nor gives a reason for using it namely as you say mechanical sympathy and also economy and safety. I agree fully with your comments but also add that you can block gearchange even in small engine cars these days.
Roadcraft doesn't state that you can miss out an intermediate gear both changing down and up and at a talk our examiner said that the Police never block change changing up, saying it would over rev the engine and my local group accepted that :cry:
I haven't seen the other IAM publication you mention, and presumably neither have the Police!

Rob

That might be what your examiner said but it's not true of 'the Police' (as in all Police schools).
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby RobC » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 am

vonhosen wrote:
RobC wrote:Hi Mark

Rob

That might be what your examiner said but it's not true of 'the Police' (as in all Police schools).

I know, I assess a lot of ex class 1 drivers for a contract I have. That's when all credibility was lost as far as I was concerned.
RobC

Postby fengpo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:39 am

Is RobC, Silk in disguise? Always looking to start a debate.
fengpo

Postby martine » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:03 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Our local examiner came to talk to us and told us he didn't want to see DDC on a test because it was an old-fashioned technique and no longer necessary. I'm sure I sneaked a couple under his nose last Friday ... :lol:

Oooo you're just an AD renegade aren't you? :wink:

There's 2 techniques (at least :roll: ) I need to familiarise myself with: DDC and H&T - I guess they are not essential in the scale of things but I can see they could be useful in some circumstances.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby RobC » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:18 am

fengpo wrote:Is RobC, Silk in disguise? Always looking to start a debate.

I don't know who this Silk fellow is but I like the sound of him. Debate discussion and opinions, isn't that what forums are about?
Last edited by RobC on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobC

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:26 am

martine wrote:

Oooo you're just an AD renegade aren't you? :wink:

There's 2 techniques (at least :roll: ) I need to familiarise myself with: DDC and H&T - I guess they are not essential in the scale of things but I can see they could be useful in some circumstances.

Come over for a drive some time, then!

There was a classic example during the test when H&T would have been perfect, but I didn't dare go that far :lol:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby kfae8959 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 am

StressedDave wrote:It isn't but neither the IAM nor RoSPA seem particularly bothered with the idea of consistency or even ensuring that the examiners are singing from the same hymn sheet. Persumably this costs money that they don't really have.

The IAM is currently working for greater consistency, because it recognises that its survival is dependent on it. But, as parts of this discussion show, local examiners are the key links in the chain: some have huge influence over local groups, but limited understanding. One thought is to start allocating tests in each area to a variety of examiners from further afield so that groups can no longer teach to the preferences of an individual.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby waremark » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 am

kfae8959 wrote:The IAM is currently working for greater consistency, because it recognises that its survival is dependent on it.
David

Is that true? If so, is it a good thing? Selection of technique is so much less important than Concentration Observation and Anticipation to support Safe, Smooth, progressive driving. Police advanced drivers from different schools use different techniques but all seem to achieve the C O A bit. They have been a cheaply and widely available resource to the IAM to help a large number of people drive more safely and enjoy their driving more.
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote markers
waremark

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum