Driving plans, improving observation, and scanning

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby dvenman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:07 am

I wanted the hive mind's thoughts on a few topics - these are based on feedback from a half day with Clive Jones earlier this year, and as I'm planning to do the two day followup in August I wanted to get thinking about them early.

I'm after advice on some of the things Clive picked up on. Firstly - a driving plan - never heard of it before the day, and still haven't got a clear idea of what it is. Any pointers (other than the most obvious thought which is rigorous application of the system) and how to develop ways of developing one (if you know what I mean) are gratefully accepted.

Second - extending forward and lateral observation. I'm happy with that in that it means looking as far forward as possible, including to the side (duh!) but I find that I'm still missing stuff. What's the most effective way you've found to get your observation up to scratch ? And as a followup, at what point does looking to the side become irrelevant? I'm thinking here of the point at which you consider a potential hazard (side junction, parked car) no longer a hazard and can consign it to the dustbin of observation.

Lastly - effective scanning. What's the most appropriate technique ? Is there a "one size fits all", or does the type of scan (not the frequency, speed or resolution) change with environment ? In urban environments, scanning hugely far ahead adds to the mental list of things to consider as hazards and I sometimes find far-reaching observation in such circumstances detracts from the ones closer to you which need more immediate attention. I'm thinking along the lines of say traffic lights or a pedestrian crossing the far side of a roundabout - I know they're there but I need to negotiate the roundabout safely but with the lights in mind.
dvenman

Postby ROG » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:17 am

Driving plan - really means thinking about alternative options
A = I am going to do this that and then that
B = If the above is not possible/safe then I am going to do this instead
C = If A and B not poss then I am going to do this

To do any of the options I am going to use the system as laid down in roadcraft

To do all of that requires me to have good observations by scanning all areas near and far to the front, back & to the sides taking in what is and what may happen

Have I said that about right folks :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby hir » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:19 am

dvenman wrote:
I'm after advice on some of the things Clive picked up on. Firstly - a driving plan - never heard of it before the day, and still haven't got a clear idea of what it is. Any pointers (other than the most obvious thought which is rigorous application of the system) and how to develop ways of developing one (if you know what I mean) are gratefully accepted.

Read the current edition of Roadcraft, pages 48-52 incl. This, in conjunction with Stressed Dave's comments, will explain all that you need to know about the driving plan.
hir

Postby hir » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:40 am

dvenman wrote:I wanted the hive mind's thoughts on a few topics -

Second - extending forward and lateral observation. I'm happy with that in that it means looking as far forward as possible, including to the side (duh!) but I find that I'm still missing stuff. What's the most effective way you've found to get your observation up to scratch ? And as a followup, at what point does looking to the side become irrelevant? I'm thinking here of the point at which you consider a potential hazard (side junction, parked car) no longer a hazard and can consign it to the dustbin of observation.

Lastly - effective scanning. What's the most appropriate technique ? Is there a "one size fits all", or does the type of scan (not the frequency, speed or resolution) change with environment ? In urban environments, scanning hugely far ahead adds to the mental list of things to consider as hazards and I sometimes find far-reaching observation in such circumstances detracts from the ones closer to you which need more immediate attention. I'm thinking along the lines of say traffic lights or a pedestrian crossing the far side of a roundabout - I know they're there but I need to negotiate the roundabout safely but with the lights in mind.

I've hived this off into a separate reply from the driving plan because the concept of a driving plan should be mastered first. Then you can focus on gathering information to include in the driving plan.

Once you've sorted out the purpose, importance and function of the driving plan in your head it will follow that your observation and scanning will focus on those aspects of the environment which are useful, essential and critical to formulating your driving plan.

It often happens that in the early stages one just tries to hoover up each and every detail of what's going on around, with little coherent attempt to prioritise hazards, or do anything much with the information with the consequence that information overload kicks in and things get missed. With the concept of a driving plan in place inside your head you will then start looking for those hazards that have the potential to require inclusion within your driving plan. If it doesn't require inclusion it can be discarded and the search for other hazards continued.

It's all in the book. :D
hir

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:56 am

To précis: Identify the hazard(s), prioritise, decide what to do.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Daft as it may sound, park up and go for a walk :)

It will give you time to really look at what's 'ahead', identify every factor which could affect your likely speed and position (What can be seen, can't be seen, may reasonably be expected, etc.), without the distractions of the driving task. Then drive through, comparing your plan with actual implementation.

Try some of these:
http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/p/d ... ining.html
Although intended for riders, many can be adapted for driving.

Another: yell out (don't just think them in your head) every road sign you see. They're usually there for a reason! Actually saying it out aloud means it's more difficult to ignore them (during bike training I sometimes had trainees pointing - arm waving above head-height - which way the next bend went).
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:55 pm

chriskay wrote:
Horse wrote:Actually saying it out aloud means it's more difficult to ignore them (during bike training I sometimes had trainees pointing - arm waving above head-height - which way the next bend went).

A similar technique is used in Japan, where the driver of a Shinkansen (Bullet Train) is taught to point at every signal.

Yup, that's where I borrowed the idea from! They point a white-gloved hand and say out aloud. There was a documentary about them, based on a curator from the York railway museum going over there to 'collect' the one now on display. About 2001.

According to Filly, it's "Multi-sensory . . . summat or other . . . " Essentially, having pointed and said, it's far more difficult to ignore - and from my training perspective you'd be an absolute divot (technical expression) if you chose to ignore it!

A friend taught her daughter an interesting multi-sensory way or remembering stuff: say it out aloud, and as you do so 'write' it with one finger on the palm of your hand, then touch your forehead to 'put' it into your memory. So visual, aural, physical.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby akirk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Horse wrote:A friend taught her daughter an interesting multi-sensory way or remembering stuff: say it out aloud, and as you do so 'write' it with one finger on the palm of your hand, then touch your forehead to 'put' it into your memory. So visual, aural, physical.

now that would be interesting as a driving technique?! :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:12 pm

If you search hard enough, you'll find the example I posted last time we had this discussion :)

Can't remember if it was this one - see how she uses the pointing technique even in her "pre-flight" checks.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 pm

To extend vision I find it helps to look 8 foot above the furthest limit point rather than at it. Surprising how much more you then actually see.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby WS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:39 am

dvenman wrote:extending forward and lateral observation. I'm happy with that in that it means looking as far forward as possible, including to the side (duh!) but I find that I'm still missing stuff. What's the most effective way you've found to get your observation up to scratch ?

Lastly - effective scanning. What's the most appropriate technique ?

I would point to three aspects of driving which might seem obvious, but are not: following distance, speed and suprise.

Firstly, the following distance. I am sure you are aware of most of its benefits. There is one benefit though that is rarely thought of: the larger your forward gap is, the less you need to look at the vehicle in front. If you extend your following distance enough, you will become virtually independent of the vehicle in front and consequently able to focus your attention at very distant objects. Very simple but works wonders. How big should the forward gap be? Try it out and see for yourself.

Secondly, your speed. As you mentioned, sometimes you happen not to notice things on the road. This suggests that you may be going to fast for your current observation skills. Try to slow down to a pace that allows you to notice more. It is surprising how a reduction of speed by a few kilometres per hour changes the amount of time you have to see things and react to them.

Thirdly, surprise. It is useful to treat surprise as a learning tool. Every time something on the road catches you by surprise, it means that there is a gap in your observation skills. Try to draw conclusions so that next time, in a similar situation, you do not get caught by surprise. Such approach helps to speed up the process of gathering experience and learning more effective observation.
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:59 pm

WS wrote:Thirdly, surprise. It is useful to treat surprise as a learning tool. Every time something on the road catches you by surprise, it means that there is a gap in your observation skills. Try to draw conclusions so that next time, in a similar situation, you do not get caught by surprise. Such approach helps to speed up the process of gathering experience and learning more effective observation.

Hence:
http://nosurprise.org.uk/
Horse

Postby Gareth » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:55 pm

WS wrote:It is useful to treat surprise as a learning tool. Every time something on the road catches you by surprise, it means that there is a gap in your observation skills.

I find this to be a very useful self-check. Last time, I realised I wasn't noticing the offside verge as much as I should have been, and consciously started to pay more attention to that area of vision.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Return to Advanced Driving Forum