Coping with bright sunlight & deep shadows?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Pontoneer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:31 am

cliftonite wrote:People should be driving on dipped headlights in such conditions. This would help you, but most are not. The advent of daytime running lights (DRLs) does mean , however, that more of the numpties are more easily visible.

While DRL's can be quite beneficial in daytime , the flip side is that those same numpties now forget to light up when darkness falls and end up showing no rear lights at all - why DRL's don't include tail lights for this very reason beats me - I'm sure they used to when first implemented by SAAB and Volvo back in the 70's .

I wonder how many others besides myself also find the intensity of these bright LED DRL's somewhat dazzling after dark , in a way that properly adjusted dipped headlamps are not ?
Pontoneer

Postby TripleS » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:33 am

Pontoneer wrote:
cliftonite wrote:People should be driving on dipped headlights in such conditions. This would help you, but most are not. The advent of daytime running lights (DRLs) does mean , however, that more of the numpties are more easily visible.

While DRL's can be quite beneficial in daytime , the flip side is that those same numpties now forget to light up when darkness falls and end up showing no rear lights at all - why DRL's don't include tail lights for this very reason beats me - I'm sure they used to when first implemented by SAAB and Volvo back in the 70's .

I wonder how many others besides myself also find the intensity of these bright LED DRL's somewhat dazzling after dark , in a way that properly adjusted dipped headlamps are not ?

I find that some DRLs, even if not actually dazzling, are too bright for comfort even in other lighting conditions, and not just in the dark. It also seems wrong to me that DRLs at the front are not accompanied by some lighting at the rear. Incidentally, I thought that DRLs were supposed to go off when normal light are switched on, but they don't appear to be arranged this way: we seem to get the whole lot!

Vehicle lighting systems stupidly arranged by designers, and widely misused by drivers, are often noted and can be a source of distraction, and, unless we discipline ourselves to avoid it, irritation.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:21 am

Pontoneer wrote:I wonder how many others [...] find the intensity of these bright LED DRL's somewhat dazzling after dark , in a way that properly adjusted dipped headlamps are not ?

I sometimes find them annoying (not exactly dazzling) during daylight, more often than not when they are on a following SUV. When this happens I dip the rear view mirror.

My conjecture is that while dipped headlights have a horizontal cut-off to reduce glare to people being illuminated by the light, this probably doesn't apply to LED DRLs. When I look in the rear view mirror, DRLs often stand out above (i.e. are brighter than) dipped beams from the same following vehicle.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:37 am

Gareth wrote:
Pontoneer wrote:I wonder how many others [...] find the intensity of these bright LED DRL's somewhat dazzling after dark , in a way that properly adjusted dipped headlamps are not ?

I sometimes find them annoying (not exactly dazzling) during daylight, more often than not when they are on a following SUV. When this happens I dip the rear view mirror.

My conjecture is that while dipped headlights have a horizontal cut-off to reduce glare to people being illuminated by the light, this probably doesn't apply to LED DRLs. When I look in the rear view mirror, DRLs often stand out above (i.e. are brighter than) dipped beams from the same following vehicle.

DRLs appear to be quite intense light sources with a wide spread. I suppose this makes sense: it would limit their effectiveness if they were only able to be seen from a narrow viewing angle - if you see what I mean. On the other hand I suppose DRLs are mainly of benefit to other road users who are some considerable distance away, in which case a fairly narrow spread of light may not be much of a limitation. Hmm, I think I might be waffling there. :lol:

What could be helpful would be to have the brightness of DRLs automatically adjustable to suit varying ambient lighting situations. I don't know if any of them do have this facility, but I certainly haven't noticed it.
TripleS

Postby Pontoneer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:49 am

I may be wrong , but I think some dim when other lights activate . Since , apart from aftermarket ones , they tend to be fitted to newer vehicles which often have auto-lights and hence some sort of light sensor , it isn't too much of a stretch to expect that they should dim when ambient light falls below a certain level .

In such a case , further 'dumbing down' could also be incorporated for the least aware so that some form of all round lighting always comes on when it gets dark ( much as newer motorcycles now can't be driven without lights ) . Part of the problem with people forgetting to light up , I'm sure , is that a lot of newer cars have the instruments/controls permanently illuminated ( which to some extent must negate the energy saving of not having a couple of tail lamps ( which could be low energy LED ) lit along with the front DRL's . If the instruments stayed unlit until lights were put on , perhaps fewer would drive around unlit , as it is now I see quite a few 'stealth vehicles' every time I drive after dark .
Pontoneer

Postby gannet » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:22 am

my DRLs actually turn OFF when the headlamps come on for the very reason that they are too bright for night use. Some however hack into the car and override that setting because it looks 'cool' to have them all on :roll:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:33 am

The Skoda has DRLs which are quite bright, but they don't tend to upset others because they're filament lights, so produce a softer colour.

The other thing is, I'm not sure this applies to most cars, but the Yeti also has an permanently illuminated dashboard, but only when the DRLs are on (you can turn the DRLs off using the settings menu in the car). However, Skoda clearly noticed the possible issue of having the permanently illuminated dash, because they've put a light sensor into the car which means when it gets dark, the dashboard lighting for the rev counter/speedometer will dim/turn off depending on how dark it is, unless you've switched on the sidelights/dipped beam

Not sure that makes sense to me, hope it makes sense to you guys :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby akirk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:07 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:The Skoda has DRLs which are quite bright, but they don't tend to upset others because they're filament lights, so produce a softer colour.

The other thing is, I'm not sure this applies to most cars, but the Yeti also has an permanently illuminated dashboard, but only when the DRLs are on (you can turn the DRLs off using the settings menu in the car). However, Skoda clearly noticed the possible issue of having the permanently illuminated dash, because they've put a light sensor into the car which means when it gets dark, the dashboard lighting for the rev counter/speedometer will dim/turn off depending on how dark it is, unless you've switched on the sidelights/dipped beam

if they have that sensor / that computer logic, why not just turn on the headlights when it gets dark :) or is that because auto lights is an additional function they charge you for?!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:15 pm

akirk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:The Skoda has DRLs which are quite bright, but they don't tend to upset others because they're filament lights, so produce a softer colour.

if they have that sensor / that computer logic, why not just turn on the headlights when it gets dark :) or is that because auto lights is an additional function they charge you for?!

Alasdair

Because it's a specific sensor for the dashboard lights alone, if it had auto lights it would need a totally separate unit which is up behind the rear view mirror.
There aren't auto lights because that option wasn't chosen when the car was ordered by the previous owner, but it doesn't matter as I think my parents wouldn't have bothered using the auto option, they prefer controlling the lights themselves, and honestly? So do I.
TheInsanity1234

Postby akirk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:09 pm

no - my point was, if there is a sensor for any purpose which knows when it is dark enough outside to make any change (e.g. dashboard lighting) then it has the knowledge to switch the main lights on - it takes the same logic steps and no extra hardware, the point being that cars are built to make money - not always to do what is most logical - everything is in that car to provide auto lights, but it is not an option because they know that they can make more money out of charging for that as an extra, even though arguably auto lights with DRLs make a lot of sense and would stop the issue of drivers running around in the dark with DRLs and no headlights

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:10 pm

akirk wrote:no - my point was, if there is a sensor for any purpose which knows when it is dark enough outside to make any change (e.g. dashboard lighting) then it has the knowledge to switch the main lights on - it takes the same logic steps and no extra hardware, the point being that cars are built to make money - not always to do what is most logical - everything is in that car to provide auto lights, but it is not an option because they know that they can make more money out of charging for that as an extra, even though arguably auto lights with DRLs make a lot of sense and would stop the issue of drivers running around in the dark with DRLs and no headlights

Alasdair

No, the trouble is the sensor for the dashboard lights aren't connected in any way to the lights, so would require additional wiring and programming for the internal computer.

Also, when you spec up auto lights, there's a big sensor which comes fitted to the windscreen in the usual place behind the rearview mirror. The sensor for the dashboard lights is somewhere in the central part of the instrument cluster, which isn't a good place to put something that controls the headlight activation :mrgreen:

I have to admit, I'm surprised auto lights are still an cost option, as are Xenon lights, as they can contribute to the safety of driving at night, but hey.

We're not bothered about keeping people safe, are we? :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:37 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:We're not bothered about keeping people safe, are we? :mrgreen:

Of course we are, but all our money's on speed limits, and the lowering thereof, to take care of that. :wink:

I'm in a good mood this morning so I'd better clear off outside before I read something that winds me up. It happens so easily.... :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:00 pm

TripleS wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:We're not bothered about keeping people safe, are we? :mrgreen:

Of course we are, but all our money's on speed limits, and the lowering thereof, to take care of that. :wink:

I'm in a good mood this morning so I'd better clear off outside before I read something that winds me up. It happens so easily.... :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

:mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum