Coping with bright sunlight & deep shadows?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Holu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:22 pm

After recently starting my new commute (Knighton (Powys) to Craven Arms, using the A4113 & B4367), I've noticed that quite often, there can be extremely deep shadows extending from the nearside hedgerows, taking up about half a lane's width. Combined with the remainder of the road being in bright sunlight, it makes it seem almost impossible to see into many of the darker shadows, even when slowed right down!

Sunglasses (polarized) seem to help some - they cut out the windscreen reflections from the interior being lit up by the sunlight and reduce the intensity of the brightly lit part of the road, but they don't seem to help much with the deep shadows.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you found any good ways of coping with, or reacting to it?

Cheers :)
Holu

Postby akirk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:44 pm

it can be a huge issue and the 'solutions' may vary by section of road... e.g.:
- tracking a bend by looking at a section of road you can see (the edge / the center line) and using that to take you around...
- looking further ahead so that the contrasty section is a smaller part of your vision and you know what is in it before arriving there
- if necessary slowing down further...
- being aware that you may round a corner and find it difficult to see
- and esp. being aware that depending on your direction of travel, you may have no issue but those coming towards you may have more of an issue

not sure there is any simple answer

Alasdair
akirk

Postby RobC » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Glare from the sun and not usually much a problem in Wales and the UK but a common problem in other countries.
In addition to wearing sunglasses when driving with the sun in your eyes, use your car's sun visors to block the sun, keep your windscreen clean, inside and out, increase your following distances and reduce speed as necessary.
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby TripleS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:59 am

Holu wrote:After recently starting my new commute (Knighton (Powys) to Craven Arms, using the A4113 & B4367), I've noticed that quite often, there can be extremely deep shadows extending from the nearside hedgerows, taking up about half a lane's width. Combined with the remainder of the road being in bright sunlight, it makes it seem almost impossible to see into many of the darker shadows, even when slowed right down!

Sunglasses (polarized) seem to help some - they cut out the windscreen reflections from the interior being lit up by the sunlight and reduce the intensity of the brightly lit part of the road, but they don't seem to help much with the deep shadows.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you found any good ways of coping with, or reacting to it?

Cheers :)

I didn't used to have much trouble with this until this last year or two, but I'm now in the early stages of cataract problems, so things are now more difficult for me. The optician tells me that I'm not yet at a stage where it would be appropriate to have them dealt with, but I have been assured that I'm still OK to be driving. Even so, it's a nuisance and I am finding things more difficult in certain lighting conditions.
TripleS

Postby RobC » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:57 am

StressedDave wrote:
RobC wrote:Glare from the sun and not usually much a problem in Wales and the UK but a common problem in other countries.
In addition to wearing sunglasses when driving with the sun in your eyes, use your car's sun visors to block the sun, keep your windscreen clean, inside and out, increase your following distances and reduce speed as necessary.

I'm not sure that advice really has much to do with the particular problem.

Hi Dave,

By all means do the opposite :)

Rob
RobC

Postby Ancient » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:20 am

Low sun and glare certainly can be a problem in UK. The primary responsibility of a driver is to ensure that (s)he does not drive into anyone else; so slow down and be prepared to stop.

On the other hand, you will if unfortunate enough to kill someone, be judged by your peers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-25949342
Ancient

Postby jont » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:26 am

Ancient wrote:Low sun and glare certainly can be a problem in UK. The primary responsibility of a driver is to ensure that (s)he does not drive into anyone else; so slow down and be prepared to stop.

On the other hand, you will if unfortunate enough to kill someone, be judged by your peers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-25949342

It's not just low sun that lets you off
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Woman-cleared-causing-death/story-20456758-detail/story.html although in this case I can't help but think that had the victim and driver been reversed (ie male driver killing a young female) the verdict would also have been guilty :roll:
jont

Postby Astraist » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:33 am

RobC wrote:Glare from the sun and not usually much a problem in Wales and the UK but a common problem in other countries.

Indeed it is.

Other than previous advice (namely, using good sunglasses and slowing down), it is likely that other drivers will be just as heavily affected.

The solution for that is either daytime running lights or (if the car is not equipped) the use of the low beam to mimic it.
Astraist

Postby martine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:46 am

StressedDave wrote:...Darker sunglasses may help a little by shrinking the pupil down so there's less adjustment to make.

Other way round isn't it? Darker sunglasses will allow the pupil to expand won't they?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby onlinegenie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 am

jont wrote:
Ancient wrote:Low sun and glare certainly can be a problem in UK. The primary responsibility of a driver is to ensure that (s)he does not drive into anyone else; so slow down and be prepared to stop.

It's not just low sun that lets you off
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Woman-cleared-causing-death/story-20456758-detail/story.html although in this case I can't help but think that had the victim and driver been reversed (ie male driver killing a young female) the verdict would also have been guilty :roll:

Right at the bottom it said that he was not wearing a seat belt. Maybe the jury considered her guilty of the lesser charge of dangerous driving (which is not actually referred to) but not guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.
onlinegenie

Postby RobC » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:26 am

Astraist wrote:

Indeed it is.

Other than previous advice (namely, using good sunglasses and slowing down), it is likely that other drivers will be just as heavily affected.

The solution for that is either daytime running lights or (if the car is not equipped) the use of the low beam to mimic it.

Hi Astralist

I agree that the sun, (particularly low sun) can be a problem in the UK. But Wales is not known for its hot sunny climate and the hazards you would be more likely to encounter would be wet roads and sheep, where the reverse would be the case in Arizona for example :wink:

Agree that lights could be appropriate.

Rob
RobC

Postby Ancient » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:09 pm

RobC wrote: But Wales is not known for its hot sunny climate and the hazards you would be more likely to encounter would be wet roads and sheep, where the reverse would be the case in Arizona for example :wink:

Agree that lights could be appropriate.

Rob

I can categorically refute that, living as I do in Wales, which does not have a permanent cloud cover: Low sun, as well as deep shade under trees is a common phenomenon here (happens twice daily) and glare can be an issue both in summer and winter.

Ripped headlights or DRLs do not help you see the pedestrian, cyclist or sheep in your vehicle's path. Slowing down to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear is the only useful technique. I did this just last weekend, fully expecting the blinding sun as I turned the bend on an otherwise 60mph road and I appreciate it when drivers do so when I am cycling - just like I appreciate drivers who hold back on blind bends. The same principle applies in both cases and DRLs do not help either.
Ancient

Postby cliftonite » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:57 pm

People should be driving on dipped headlights in such conditions. This would help you, but most are not. The advent of daytime running lights (DRLs) does mean , however, that more of the numpties are more easily visible.
cliftonite

Postby Gareth » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:56 pm

cliftonite wrote:People should be driving on dipped headlights in such conditions. This would help you, but most are not. The advent of daytime running lights (DRLs) does mean , however, that more of the numpties are more easily visible.

Neither of these help you to spot cyclists or walkers.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby gannet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Gareth wrote:
cliftonite wrote:People should be driving on dipped headlights in such conditions. This would help you, but most are not. The advent of daytime running lights (DRLs) does mean , however, that more of the numpties are more easily visible.

Neither of these help you to spot cyclists or walkers.

or horses...

all road users could mitigate things by always using lights... I'm often asked why I run lights on my bike during the day... this thread is one of the reasons.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum