New IAM standards

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:25 pm

For those not active within the IAM you may be interested to see their latest thinking on new driving and riding standards. This is a wide-ranging review of what the IAM should be coaching and testing and will result in new guidance and documentation to Observers and Associates and Examiners. Nothing is finalised yet but the bits that caught my eye were (their writing not mine):

Less emphasis on inputs and more on outputs
•Steering (if its not broken don’t fix it)
•Gear Changes (overlap allowed at low speed)
•Move from ‘Police Commentary’ to ‘Spoken Thoughts’
•Inclusion of ‘Human Factors Competency

Interesting huh?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby gannet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:31 pm

how on earth do they quanticise 'broken' for steering... might have well as said dont bother looking at their steering.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby martine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:00 pm

gannet wrote:how on earth do they quanticise 'broken' for steering... might have well as said dont bother looking at their steering.

Not smooth or accurate I'd have thought?

It's been a criticism of insistence on pull/push that it doesn't matter what method is used if the 'output' is consistently good.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby gannet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:10 pm

oh Im aware of the arguments for ditching the pull-push and back it entirely - I rarely do it myself now...

Conversely I've seen variously methods used in people's driving without much consistancy - but all done in a good manner and accurately.

I can see lack of accuracy and don't want another multi-page thread on steering so I'll leave it there :mrgreen:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Carbon Based » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:29 pm

martine wrote:•Inclusion of ‘Human Factors Competency[/i]

How do you interpret this one?

Do you think the intention is to cover the topic in general or to encourage feedback on personality?
Carbon Based

Postby triquet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:39 pm

I wish they would write in English. It would help. :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby martine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Carbon Based wrote:
martine wrote:•Inclusion of ‘Human Factors Competency[/i]

How do you interpret this one?

Do you think the intention is to cover the topic in general or to encourage feedback on personality?

I don't think this will be tested but it's a topic as part of the 'Skill for Life' course - and quite an important one I'd have thought. It's in the GDE matrix and drivers should be aware of how it impacts their and others driving.
martine

Postby martine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm

triquet wrote:I wish they would write in English. It would help. :mrgreen:

The bit I quoted is from a PowerPoint presentation given to the NRG and posted along with draft minutes on the IAM website.
martine

Postby Silk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:55 pm

martine wrote:
gannet wrote:how on earth do they quanticise 'broken' for steering... might have well as said dont bother looking at their steering.

It's been a criticism of insistence on pull/push that it doesn't matter what method is used if the 'output' is consistently good.

It's a bit like the church that, in the face of falling numbers, decides to make worship of God optional (after all, most people seem to get along just fine without God). In the end, you just end up with a church full of non-believers until everyone gets fed up and leaves because there's no longer any point in going to church.

It seems to me, although I could be wrong, that the IAM has allowed itself to be dictated to by a few loud-mouths and self-proclaimed driving "experts".
Silk

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Silk wrote:
martine wrote:

It's a bit like the church that, in the face of falling numbers, decides to make worship of God optional (after all, most people seem to get along just fine without God). In the end, you just end up with a church full of non-believers until everyone gets fed up and leaves because there's no longer any point in going to church.

It seems to me, although I could be wrong, that the IAM has allowed itself to be dictated to by a few loud-mouths and self-proclaimed driving "experts".

Whilst others might say, although they could be wrong, that it's no longer going to allow itself to be dictated to by a few loud-mouths and self-proclaimed driving 'experts'.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:34 pm

I can only applaud their efforts and congratulate them for this.

Where is that damn popcorn wallah when you need him?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby TripleS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Silk wrote:It seems to me, although I could be wrong, that the IAM has allowed itself to be dictated to by a few loud-mouths and self-proclaimed driving "experts".

I think you probably are wrong in this case, but you can't be right all the time, Steve.

It is a bit tough for the IAM though: when they stick to their traditional line they're considered to be wrong, and now that they've seemingly taken on board a changed climate of opinion, they're still wrong - according to you.

If I may say so, I think they've done the right thing.
TripleS

Postby hir » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Silk wrote:It seems to me, although I could be wrong, that the IAM has allowed itself to be dictated to by a few loud-mouths and self-proclaimed driving "experts".

And about time too! :D :D :D :D :D
hir

Postby hir » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:37 pm

This concerns me too.

We have an examiner who is unbelievably hung-up on the need for PP steering. He tells anyone who'll listen, which is hardly anyone nowadays, that... "it's the preferred method". He quotes chapter and verse of HTBABD on PP steering. And yet, he appears never to have read Roadcraft as he insists on referring to "fixed grip" steering as "rotational" in all his associate debrief notes.

So, for someone of his mindset the steering will be "broken" if it's not PP and will need to be fixed! :( :( :(
hir

Postby Silk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:40 pm

hir wrote:

And about time too! :D :D :D :D :D

So the upshot of this is, there are no standards and people can do what they like as long as they don't crash (or should crashing be allowed as well now?)
Silk

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum