New IAM standards

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Silk, a further similarity between the IAM and motorsports is that both couldn't function without very many, not paid, volunteers.

Same for the Women's Institute, but I doubt I'll be going to them for driving tips.

Now you're being silly.
We are discussing organisations concerned with driving and riding.
Oh btw, I can confirm that riding a motorcycle to a high standard is harder than the same in a car.
Not that you would of course but go try a CBT course, just a day and not that expensive even with 'bike hire. Your AD knowledge should give you a headstart in terms of roadcraft.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Oh btw, I can confirm that riding a motorcycle to a high standard is harder than the same in a car.

Oh well, I won't be bothering with that then.

I'm still trying to work out how motorcycling ended up in this particular conversation.
Silk

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:08 pm

Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Oh btw, I can confirm that riding a motorcycle to a high standard is harder than the same in a car.

I'm still trying to work out how motorcycling ended up in this particular conversation.

Because you said "drivers in leather onesies", that usually being motorcyclists, remember it's a driving licence, whatever the categories anyone is entitled to. Ain't no riding licence and yes, I was being pedantic.

Car "motorsportists" as you call them, for disciplines that have regulations requiring it, wear flameproof suits, hence my talk of "Nomex", which is the material from which such suits are made. I wont bore you, as you're not interested, with talk about the rest of the clothing.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Silk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:03 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Because you said "drivers in leather onesies", that usually being motorcyclists, remember it's a driving licence, whatever the categories anyone is entitled to. Ain't no riding licence and yes, I was being pedantic.

Ah, I was thinking of that outfit The Stig wears on Top Gear - looks like a leather onesie to me. Most motorcyclists I see wear tee-shirt and jeans with sandals - that doesn't look safe to me.

WhoseGeneration wrote:Car "motorsportists" as you call them, for disciplines that have regulations requiring it, wear flameproof suits, hence my talk of "Nomex", which is the material from which such suits are made. I wont bore you, as you're not interested, with talk about the rest of the clothing.

How am I supposed to know that?
Silk

Postby Astraist » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:39 pm

It is indeed a Nomex overall, which is used for it's fire retardant (rather than fire-proof - it gives you about a minute's time to escape the fiery wreck) properties, not unlike the padding in your road car.

Professional racing drivers wear Nomex from the top of their head (their Balaclava), through their waist (Nomex underwear :lol: ) to their heels.
Astraist

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 pm

Astraist wrote:It is indeed a Nomex overall, which is used for it's fire retardant (rather than fire-proof - it gives you about a minute's time to escape the fiery wreck) properties, not unlike the padding in your road car.

Professional racing drivers wear Nomex from the top of their head (their Balaclava), through their waist (Nomex underwear :lol: ) to their heels.

Not to overlook gloves and in the UK fire retardent overalls to certain standards are required whether amateur or professional For a form of racing in this country (Rally Cross. Rally cars racing part on circuit and part off circuit) we used to have to check gloves.

We did have fears at one time that in addition to checking overall, helmets and cars we might have to check underwear. :shock: Mind you that could raise a few eyebrows if checking the underwear of a female competitor. :oops:

Good as Nomex overalls were a competitor could still sustain scalding from perspiration turning to steam under the heat.

In the tests I saw it was scary at how quickly the protection provided failed particularly at the seams.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:24 pm

jcochrane wrote:
Astraist wrote:It is indeed a Nomex overall, which is used for it's fire retardant (rather than fire-proof - it gives you about a minute's time to escape the fiery wreck) properties, not unlike the padding in your road car.

We did have fears at one time that in addition to checking overall, helmets and cars we might have to check underwear. :shock: Mind you that could raise a few eyebrows if checking the underwear of a female competitor. :oops:

Would it have been necessary check it with the owner inside? Couldn't it have been checked earlier? :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Horse wrote:
jcochrane wrote:We did have fears at one time that in addition to checking overall, helmets and cars we might have to check underwear. :shock: Mind you that could raise a few eyebrows if checking the underwear of a female competitor. :oops:

Would it have been necessary check it with the owner inside? Couldn't it have been checked earlier? :)

I'm sure it would have been necessary to check the fit and then ask for it to be removed so we could properly check the sewn in standard label. :wink:

I think you are a spoilsport with your suggestion :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:I can confirm that riding a motorcycle to a high standard is harder than the same in a car.

Oh well, I won't be bothering with that then.

Give us a list of from where you will and won't accept ideas for improvement, and we can advise accordingly.

Silk wrote: How am I supposed to know that?

Similarly, tell us what you don't know but would find useful or interesting, and we may be able to help.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:36 am

Horse wrote:....tell us what you don't know but would find useful or interesting, and we may be able to help.

That's a nice idea, but speaking for myself it's a bit difficult to identify what I don't know, in which case it needs somebody else to shine a light in the appropriate areas, and then we can see where we are, if you see what I mean.

What I can do is identify areas where I already know I'm not very good, and then try to work on those under my own steam, which is what I normally do, but professional help would produce greater improvements, and more rapidly.

It all depends on how we feel about where we already are, and how eager we are to achieve perfection. I'm not going to make any claims about where I already am, but I certainly don't see any benefit to me in seeking perfection.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Yes, you're correct of course, a late night slip on my part.
Btw, I find old Nomex underwear useful in cold weather, it is less irritating on my skin than thermal underwear for me.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Astraist » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:42 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:I find old Nomex underwear useful in cold weather.

I might agree, if I only knew what cold weather is... :lol:
Astraist

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:58 am

Astraist wrote:

It's something soft people complain about. :wink:
Silk

Postby revian » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Astraist wrote:

But I've seen it on Christmas cards! ;-)
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Silk wrote:
Astraist wrote:

It's something soft people complain about. :wink:

Huh, namby pamby southerners maybe. The hairy chested individuals up here cope with it reasonably well: the blokes don't whinge about it too much either. :lol:
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum