New IAM standards

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:54 pm

waremark wrote:
hir wrote:In future the output will be the standard. Is the steering output safe, smooth and with the car under complete control at all times?

You hope. Wait and see!

By the way, my current Associates steering wasn't broke so I didn't try to fix it.

There you are then: some Observers are better than others. 8)
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:20 pm

StressedDave wrote:Yes indeed... :lol:

However, I wasn't a self-appointed expert, but by dint of approval of fellow experts. Or in other words, I was such an expert that other experts would look at me and say "My god he's such an expert".

Not very convincing, is it?

I would now suggest after twenty years of doing this that I am an expert... :oops:

Hmm, I suppose it's possible.... :P
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:29 pm

martine wrote:
akirk wrote:A more accurate anaology would be:

the church that woke up and realised that they were defining God by their churchmanship - rather than realising that God is absolute and defined outside man's perspective - and then realising that there may be validity in other forms of churchmanship as well... (High Anglican / Catholic / Evangelical / Charismatic / etc. etc.)

Love it. Of course some people consider they are a driving god... :wink:

Come on then, don't keep us in suspense - we need names. I'm sure there's more than just me on your list. :mrgreen:
TripleS

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:53 pm

hir wrote:Previously, the standard has been primarily input based (pull-push), with outputs being of secondary concern only (did the pull push steering result in an output that was safe, smooth and with the car under complete at all times?).

You lot keep banging on about outputs but fail miserably when it comes to explaining what it is you mean exactly.
Silk

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:56 pm

TripleS wrote:
martine wrote:
akirk wrote:A more accurate anaology would be:

the church that woke up and realised that they were defining God by their churchmanship - rather than realising that God is absolute and defined outside man's perspective - and then realising that there may be validity in other forms of churchmanship as well... (High Anglican / Catholic / Evangelical / Charismatic / etc. etc.)

Love it. Of course some people consider they are a driving god... :wink:

Come on then, don't keep us in suspense - we need names. I'm sure there's more than just me on your list. :mrgreen:

You're usually the only name on any list you're on. :wink:
Silk

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Silk wrote:
hir wrote:Previously, the standard has been primarily input based (pull-push), with outputs being of secondary concern only (did the pull push steering result in an output that was safe, smooth and with the car under complete at all times?).

You lot keep banging on about outputs but fail miserably when it comes to explaining what it is you mean exactly.

Oh, it seems fairly clear to me.
TripleS

Postby akirk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Silk wrote:

Do x and the result is y
e.g. steer this way - you go around the corner like this
x = input / y = output
pretty simple really
;)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:15 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:

I read it to mean it doesn't matter what you do with the controls, it's what the car does that's important. Apparently, that's not what it means. It's something to do with inputs that are really outputs, or something else entirely. I'm not sure they know themselves.
Silk

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 pm

akirk wrote:
Silk wrote:

Do x and the result is y
e.g. steer this way - you go around the corner like this
x = input / y = output
pretty simple really
;)

Alasdair

And as well as x = y, it doesn't have to be the only thing that can result in y.
z might also = y & you might also find that w = y+1 giving you even more.

You shouldn't be judging the standard as w, x or z (the input). What's important is y & what else is added to it (the output).
Last edited by vonhosen on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby superplum » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 pm

Perhaps it's all just a bit of relaxing some long-established standards (dumbing down) to accord with the new HTBABD; I'm sure it will get published eventually!

:twisted:
superplum

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 pm

superplum wrote:Perhaps it's all just a bit of relaxing some long-established standards (dumbing down) to accord with the new HTBABD; I'm sure it will get published eventually!

It's not dumbing down though, it's freedom to find the way that gives the best & most reliable outcomes for individuals.
vonhosen

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:53 pm

vonhosen wrote:
superplum wrote:Perhaps it's all just a bit of relaxing some long-established standards (dumbing down) to accord with the new HTBABD; I'm sure it will get published eventually!

It's not dumbing down though, it's freedom to find the way that gives the best & most reliable outcomes for individuals.

+1

I prefer to discuss driving with people who have reached their own conclusions, in their own way, even if they are identical to what is written in a book because it's easier to find out how they reached those conclusions instead of being told that they do it because it's written in a book. It would appear to be the case that the IAM are on their way to adopting this 'way' of looking at associates and I can't thank whoever is responsible for this enough.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:35 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:

I read it to mean it doesn't matter what you do with the controls, it's what the car does that's important. Apparently, that's not what it means. It's something to do with inputs that are really outputs, or something else entirely. I'm not sure they know themselves.

Of course it matters what you do with the controls, because that will influence what the car does. It's just that you don't have to be restricted to 'the one method' with the controls in order to get the car to do what is required. You may indeed find that you personally get smoother, more accurate & consistent results using an 'alternative method'.

Jimi Hendrix got on fine playing the guitar left handed despite his father's protestations that the correct way was to play right handed. Jimi found left worked best for him.
Last edited by vonhosen on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vonhosen

Postby martine » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Kimosabe wrote:...I can't thank whoever is responsible for this enough.

The IAM realised a while ago it needed to look again at how and what is taught. They created a new position of: 'Director of Standards' and ex-police Mark Lewis was appointed last year.

Mark has been very careful to listen and gather views from across the IAM membership (including some regular posters here) and the new embryonic 'standards' are being refined over the next few months. It will result in new guidance to Observers and Examiners and a rewritten IAM book to replace the current: 'Advanced Driving: the essential skills' aka 'How to be a better driver' - and a formal syllabus issued to associates.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:05 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
vonhosen wrote:

+1

I prefer to discuss driving with people who have reached their own conclusions, in their own way, even if they are identical to what is written in a book because it's easier to find out how they reached those conclusions instead of being told that they do it because it's written in a book. It would appear to be the case that the IAM are on their way to adopting this 'way' of looking at associates and I can't thank whoever is responsible for this enough.

I bet you're one of those lefty liberals who doesn't agree with competitive sport in schools. Why bother with any of it? Just give them a certificate for showing up. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Silk

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum