Becoming a consistently good driver?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby zadocbrown » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:41 pm

A few thoughts, non of which will give a clear answer....

Look at the GDE matrix or similar. You are only as good as your weakest link. As you work on your technical ability the chances of you being limited by more intangible factors increases unless you address these as well.

Realising you want to change something even if it requires effort is the biggest step with mental factors.

Factors relating to fitness to drive don't always stare you in the face. For example I find if I'm getting a cold it can affect my driving in a subtle way before I'm conscious of feeling ill. Tiredness and stress likewise.

Trying too hard can really screw your performance.

Concentrating on the wrong thing can screw you too.
zadocbrown

Postby TerryTibbs » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Kimosabe wrote:As you may know, planning and observation are keys to good driving. Perhaps you're not giving yourself enough time to assimilate all the info you need in order to know where to go and how you're going to get there in advance? It seems to me, from some of what you've said, that you are finding the Sat Nav somewhat distracting and that this is affecting your ability to drive.

Planning: May I suggest that you try this. Before setting out, look at the route you will plan to take, as well as the surrounding areas you'll be traveling through in case you are diverted or if the Sat Nav isn't bang upto date and gets it wrong. I would get hold of a paper A-Z map book to do this, as you might find it easier to get a better over-view of the route you have in mind. Then you can use your Sat Nav as a reminder or guide without needing to focus on it too much. Look on the A-Z map for landmarks, buildings, Filling stations, roundabouts and junctions etc, then you know what you will probably come across and tick them off as you pass them.(observation)

Once you have seen the area in an A-Z and have programmed your Sat Nav, you can then concentrate more on how to get there ie the driving part.

Maybe before setting out, shut your eyes and imagine the route as best you can as this might make your journey easier.

Hope this helps.

This is actually something I've done a lot in the past. If I've planned to go on an unfamiliar journey in advance, then usually the night before (or during the day if the journey is going to be undertaken later in the day) then I get on Google Maps, have a little go-over of the route with "Earth" on so I can get a bird's eye view of what the road markings and so on at difficult junctions and hazardous areas will look like on the way, so I know what I'm doing before I get to them, and look for landmarks as you said and generally try and familiarise myself with the route as much as possible. Problem occurs when it's a spur-of-the-moment trip, then I'm pretty much relying 100% on the Sat Nav and navigating everything as I see it. My navigational memory isn't at all great, so as much as I'd love to just be able to have a look over a map and memorise the route turn-by-turn, there's no way I'd remember it all. But yeah, I think even if I allow myself 5 minutes before setting off to get the route up on the Sat Nav, and then have a quick browse over it on Google Maps to pick out areas of the route that I'd really benefit from knowing what's there in advance, then it'd save a lot of last-second decision making and allow me to concentrate more on other things.
TerryTibbs

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:24 pm

I suspect that you are feeling somewhat overloaded when you are not sure of where you're going and that this is causing a bit of a vicious cycle of thoughts that may undermine your abilities and then you make a mistake. You're right that you would benefit from giving yourself just a few minutes to collect your thoughts; it is your time after all :wink:

I think it's fair to say that many people take wrong turns and make mistakes, sat nav or not. It's how they respond to their mistakes which sets some people apart. I'm not suggesting that you try to memorise entire journeys, just that you look at them in useful ways before setting out on them. A few landmarks should be enough. Don't get wrapped up in the details of the journey, as if you've generally looked at a map, google earth, a sat nav etc etc, you'll remember the necessary information when you need it. I think you might be trying to memorise too much detail and it's causing you bother, so maybe break a journey down into little parts? Even if you get the general direction right but the incidental turns wrong, you can find your way back to the route you originally intended, should you get way laid.

There's a little trick which might help you. Just remember that this is about practice, not instant perfection. The more you practice this correctly, the better you will become at it.

No matter where you're going, before you even turn the ignition on, just sit in the seat for a couple of minutes in order to change your mental and physical state. Use this time to really calm your thoughts down, as sometimes they can fire at an alarming rate and cause a sort of background static which interferes with clear thinking. One way of doing this, I call '7-11' breathing. So you breathe in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11. Do this for two minutes or until you feel certain that you have quietened your thoughts. You'll notice that at some point, the amount of interfering thoughts have reduced. If you find that you have become distracted while doing this task, that's fine, just notice that you have become distracted and give yourself permission to not think about whatever it is at that time, because you probably don't need to. Then calmly bring yourself back to the task at hand.

You know how to drive and you know where you want to go, so it's the getting there that counts. There will always be impatient people on the road, so don't get flustered if you meet one, as we all do. If you do meet someone who knows where they're going when you might not be sure where you are going, find a safe place to pull over and let them pass. Remember, this is a practice, so take a moment or two to let go of what just happened before moving off, as it's possible for one error to impact judgement such that it causes others.

Then when you're ready, take another moment to think about where it is you want to go next before you set off. It's fine. Nobody is going to be able to say they haven't been in the same situation and many Advanced Drivers would tell you that you haven't been on a drive unless you've been lost at least once. :wink:

Please let me know if the advice i'm giving you is helping or not, as i'll be better placed to help you. One last thing, have you considered taking a few observed drives with an IAM observer or a member of this forum? You could show them what happens and see how they might be able to help you.

Hope this helps.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby trashbat » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:15 pm

TerryTibbs wrote:I've noticed a pattern in something. Whenever I'm using my Sat Nav to guide me or road signs (i.e. I'm in unfamiliar areas) I tend not to drive so well. Really, this reinforces the notion that a lot of it is psychological - I become unconfident and a bit nervous and my concentration is affected as a result. I think I just have to tell myself, there's nothing more important than the road and what's in front of me. If I don't pay enough attention to the Sat Nav and end up going the wrong way - so what? I don't know where I am anyway, the Sat Nav will re-route me, no problem. But for some reason I become fixated on making sure I follow every instruction to a T and go which way it's telling me. I know how to handle a roundabout and the various types of junctions, I know how to read road markings and signs, so why the fuss?

What you've described is kind of like a whistlestop overview of OCD or irrational anxiety - not that I'm suggesting you have a serious problem that needs treatment!

You might think that it's not like that, because you understand that it's not a rational and logical thought, but so do many OCD sufferers. Knowing it's theoretically illogical isn't the problem. What usually helps is exposing the fear to real life sunlight.

If you were afraid of a dripping tap flooding your house, it might be suggested you go home and sit there with the plug in the sink, the tap dripping, and wait until it floods. Turns out it takes ages, and voila, fear diminished.

What can you do with the satnav problem? Get lost! Don't follow its instructions sometimes and see for yourself what's the worst that happens. Put it away completely and do the same. You know what the answer will be, you say it in your post - but actually give it a try.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Pontoneer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:01 am

Horse wrote:
TerryTibbs wrote: Whenever I'm using my Sat Nav to guide me or road signs (i.e. I'm in unfamiliar areas) I tend not to drive so well.

I like maps - but (reluctantly) will accept the benefits of SN.

However, I found that the voice prompts went in one ear and promptly out the other. So now I parrot them back, out aloud. I try to match the instruction against what I can see, check for junction layout and signs etc.

However, as advised, get that map 'plan' in your head first, then only use the SN for very local, junction specific, advice.

Oddly enough , I sometimes feel I'm at my very best on roads I've never driven before : I look forward to driving them and see them as a fresh challenge .
Pontoneer

Postby revian » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Kimosabe wrote:One way of doing this, I call '7-11' breathing. So you breathe in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11. Do this for two minutes or until you feel certain that you have quietened your thoughts....

A bit late but I think this is excellent advice from Kimosabe.Twice I've had something quite heavy on my mind work wise and twice managed to have a minor brush with an unmoveable object :roll: one was the edge of a Church bell tower....I dint see it move...

Find space and quieten distracting thoughts....

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:11 pm

I would say the allowing yourself time to clear distracting thoughts is helpful, as there have been days when I've had a bad day at 6th form, but I need to drive home, and I find sitting for a minute or so with my eyes closed etc helps to relax me and I produce a better drive than when I just go, and stay stressed during the drive home.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:32 am

revian wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:One way of doing this, I call '7-11' breathing. So you breathe in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11. Do this for two minutes or until you feel certain that you have quietened your thoughts....

A bit late but I think this is excellent advice from Kimosabe.Twice I've had something quite heavy on my mind work wise and twice managed to have a minor brush with an unmoveable object :roll: one was the edge of a Church bell tower....I dint see it move...

Find space and quieten distracting thoughts....

Ian

Glad to have been of help to you :D . My background is mental health and for the last....ooooohh I duuno....maybe dozen years or so, after having qualified in everything I could put my tiny mind to, i've been passing myself off as a Counselor/Hypnotherapist. :wink:

There are many methods/techniques which I have found help some people to focus their attention, such that it slows the background 'chatter' and noise enough for them to relax and it's just a matter of playing about with them until you find the ones which work for you.
Kimosabe

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:34 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I would say the allowing yourself time to clear distracting thoughts is helpful, as there have been days when I've had a bad day at 6th form, but I need to drive home, and I find sitting for a minute or so with my eyes closed etc helps to relax me and I produce a better drive than when I just go, and stay stressed during the drive home.

When driving, just enjoy the drive and as little else as possible. Quietening the mind helps with this. Just think about how and why you're doing what you're doing, while driving. For some people, that's the only time they ever get for just themselves.
Kimosabe

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:46 am

If I may say so I think there's some very helpful advice emerging here, and very nicely presented too.

ADUK may be small, but it's a good community with a nice atmosphere. Long may it continue thus. :)
TripleS

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:06 pm

TripleS wrote:If I may say so I think there's some very helpful advice emerging here, and very nicely presented too.

ADUK may be small, but it's a good community with a nice atmosphere. Long may it continue thus. :)

Yes, it is good to see this being discussed as most often things become very technical :D

I think there's scope for a thread on how to relax and focus while driving. I mentioned it a couple of years ago and I think some people thought I meant 'relax' as in 'fall asleep'. Quite the opposite.

If there's support for this, why not? :D
Kimosabe

Postby revian » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:07 pm

+1 then... Off you go and start the thread...

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby TerryTibbs » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:58 am

A bit late back in here, but just to say thanks for all the responses, absolutely superb.
TerryTibbs

Postby TerryTibbs » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 am

trashbat wrote:What you've described is kind of like a whistlestop overview of OCD or irrational anxiety - not that I'm suggesting you have a serious problem that needs treatment!

You might think that it's not like that, because you understand that it's not a rational and logical thought, but so do many OCD sufferers. Knowing it's theoretically illogical isn't the problem. What usually helps is exposing the fear to real life sunlight.

If you were afraid of a dripping tap flooding your house, it might be suggested you go home and sit there with the plug in the sink, the tap dripping, and wait until it floods. Turns out it takes ages, and voila, fear diminished.

What can you do with the satnav problem? Get lost! Don't follow its instructions sometimes and see for yourself what's the worst that happens. Put it away completely and do the same. You know what the answer will be, you say it in your post - but actually give it a try.

I have actually been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, how could you tell :lol: There is a bit of a fear of the unknown there tbh. It's a separate issue which I'm looking into trying to fix, would much rather do so off of the road though. I've also been continuing to try and get a good idea of the route via Google Maps and so on as has been discussed in this thread which has been helping me tremendously - actually suprised myself with my ability to remember a series of directions, I remember written instructions it seems but I'm sure if someone was to give me the same instructions by mouth it'd go in one ear and out the other :oops: So now I tend to get an overview of the route, spot any potentially difficult junctions and view them via Street View to build a mental picture in my head as to what the junction will look like when I get there and already know what lane I'm getting in and so on before I've even gotten close enough to read the road markings and signs. Then put the Sat Nav on for reference and I'm away :D
TerryTibbs

Postby trashbat » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:59 am

My OH is a cognitive behavioural therapist dealing, amongst other things, with clients that have anxiety disorders, so it's a familiar pattern :)

Planning is obviously helping you, and I use Street View in advance too to reduce the chances of driving endlessly past the destination. I still suggest you dip your toes in the practical 'what ifs' of being underprepared or getting lost, in a loosely controlled way (i.e. maybe not on the way to catch a flight!) just to experience for real that the outcomes aren't actually that disastrous.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum