The Value Of Going To A Top Professional Coach

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Astraist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:39 am

TripleS wrote:I find I can get extremely good economy while still maintaining a normal rate of progress at up to the 60 mph NSL, i.e. not driving at unnaturally low speeds. It does, however, depend quite a lot on observation, anticipation, planning, minimal use of brakes, and being fairly restrained in terms of the amount of throttle used.

Early deceleration towards a prolonged stop (like traffic lights) for instance, does not slow the driver's progres by one bit, but increases fuel economy considerably, while also increasing safety considerably.

It can even improve progres by managing to do a rolling start at the lights, which also works to increase fuel economy considerably.
Astraist

Postby Silk » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:06 am

Astraist wrote:
TripleS wrote:I find I can get extremely good economy while still maintaining a normal rate of progress at up to the 60 mph NSL, i.e. not driving at unnaturally low speeds. It does, however, depend quite a lot on observation, anticipation, planning, minimal use of brakes, and being fairly restrained in terms of the amount of throttle used.

Early deceleration towards a prolonged stop (like traffic lights) for instance, does not slow the driver's progres by one bit, but increases fuel economy considerably, while also increasing safety considerably.

It can even improve progres by managing to do a rolling start at the lights, which also works to increase fuel economy considerably.

The other thing to consider is it's not absolutely essential to get to your destination as quickly as possible. If you arrive 30 seconds later, but this has been because you've been courteous and considerate to other road users, then you have made "better" progress than if you have taken every opportunity to get ahead regardless. This is the fundamental difference between road driving and motorsport and the reason why, IMO, they should be kept at a safe distance from each other.
Silk

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:24 am

Silk wrote:
Astraist wrote:Early deceleration towards a prolonged stop (like traffic lights) for instance, does not slow the driver's progres by one bit, but increases fuel economy considerably, while also increasing safety considerably.

The other thing to consider is it's not absolutely essential to get to your destination as quickly as possible. If you arrive 30 seconds later, but this has been because you've been courteous and considerate to other road users, then you have made "better" progress than if you have taken every opportunity to get ahead regardless.

Yes, we're not e-services drivers, where every second of the drive (subject to actually arriving!) counts. AKA 'Pro social' driving, where you may be making the world a better place for other drivers too. Plus, potentially having placed your body under less stress too.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:36 am

Silk wrote:
Astraist wrote:

The other thing to consider is it's not absolutely essential to get to your destination as quickly as possible. If you arrive 30 seconds later, but this has been because you've been courteous and considerate to other road users, then you have made "better" progress than if you have taken every opportunity to get ahead regardless. This is the fundamental difference between road driving and motorsport and the reason why, IMO, they should be kept at a safe distance from each other.

I note the useful comments that Astraist made, and I agree with him. What's worrying is this current tendency of mine to agree with what you are also saying. I might need to curb that. :lol:

Anyhow it's good mood time again: old CUBby has just passed the MOT again this morning. Will shortly need two new tyres (I'm on full wets at the front but only intermediates at the rear :roll: ) and the front discs will need replacing. Braking is powerful enough but a bit unpleasant due to disc corrosion/warping.

So, the old girl's not doing so badly - mind you, she does have a careful/moderately skilled owner/driver, er, I like to think..... :P
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:42 am

Horse wrote:
Silk wrote:
Astraist wrote:Early deceleration towards a prolonged stop (like traffic lights) for instance, does not slow the driver's progres by one bit, but increases fuel economy considerably, while also increasing safety considerably.

The other thing to consider is it's not absolutely essential to get to your destination as quickly as possible. If you arrive 30 seconds later, but this has been because you've been courteous and considerate to other road users, then you have made "better" progress than if you have taken every opportunity to get ahead regardless.

Yes, we're not e-services drivers, where every second of the drive (subject to actually arriving!) counts. AKA 'Pro social' driving, where you may be making the world a better place for other drivers too. Plus, potentially having placed your body under less stress too.

Nicely put.

Driving is a pretty laid back business for me: my body gets far more stress in the garden these days. Some of those paving stones are bleedin' 'eavy! :lol:
TripleS

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:15 pm

TripleS wrote: Some of those paving stones are bleedin' 'eavy! :lol:

You're supposed to put them down once, then leave them there. Or are you using them like portable stepping stones? :roll: :| :? :mrgreen:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Horse wrote:
TripleS wrote: Some of those paving stones are bleedin' 'eavy! :lol:

You're supposed to put them down once, then leave them there. Or are you using them like portable stepping stones? :roll: :| :? :mrgreen:

Ah well, this is a well established garden that's gone a bit wild over a period of years, so there's now a fair bit of tidying up and rearranging going on. No worry, I'm sure it'll all come right in the end, preferably before it sees the end of me. :shock: :lol:
TripleS

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum