I need help!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby imajes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:16 pm

Hey everyone -

Something's been bothering me lately, and I thought i'd look to find people who can help. I think you guys might be able to - so bear with me and do add any thoughts you may have!

OK.

I'm a new driver. I have an 18 month old license. I am 23. I currently drive less than 10,000 miles a year - and work from home so I am not a daily commuter.

I drive too fast.

But it's not too fast for me - I don't drive in a way that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I'm always aware of my surroundings - although, I do still occasionally miss something zooming up on one of my sides at an unfamiliar junction and have to react late.

if it's raining, or the conditions are bad (too much traffic, bad surfaces, bad vis, etc) i'll drive appropriately.

I don't really get too competitive anymore - I'm driving at speed more because I'm impatient, and that i feel comfortable at speed.

I try and drive sensibly in rural areas - but I am sure i'm at least 32 in 30 zones. I forget to look for street lighting.

I have a new car -- with abs, power steering etc - it's also quite forgiving (clio 1.2ltr).

but i drive too fast. I find 40-60mph slow... as if I could walk faster.

I've never been caught, never been flashed. had a couple of claims on insurance last year - but for maneuvers: by mis judging the space my car inhabits.

So i'm not looking for anyone to slap my wrist - and, if i was stopped for speeding and fined/given points, I'm not sure i'd not reoffend - what I am looking for are pointers and guidance - anything to help an intelligent person get to grips with his inadequacies :)

thanks!
imajes

Postby Nigel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:19 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I will admit I used to ride/drive like you describe.

Age, experience, and advanced driver training have largely cured me of this behaviour, I can't give you the first two, but I can help you with the third if you'd like to know about it.
Nigel

Postby imajes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:21 pm

certainly age+xp count for lots: I'd imagine my profile will change as soon as I have kids in the back - but..

I am still fighting the little demon in the back of my head which kind of says it's OK to drive faster.

wrt I.A.M training etc - yeah - tell me more? I'm a little sceptical right now (lots of money to be told to be aware .... ) but open to it- can you give me more info?
imajes

Postby Nigel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:35 pm

The first myth I can dispell is its lots of money...its £85 for over 26's, £75 for under 26's, and you can sometimes get a tenner off that....thats all in, test membership, tuition...the lot.

Its as cheap as it is as all the tutors (known as observers) are volunteers, unpaid volunteers, all the local groups are entirely run on that basis.

Where in the country are you, I may be able to get you a free assessment drive (although some groups have started to charge for this now).....or, you could come to one of our events....and get a taster.
Nigel

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:36 pm

There's quite an easy way to stop you driving too fast.

If you can be persuaded that the current way you drive, you miss 95% of hazards and can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear (most people can't, thats why they have accidents).

You'll probably slow down realising at some point, being honest, you may well get something badly wrong due to misplaced confidence due to always feeling too safe and wrap yourself (and your family?) around a tree (heaven forbid but I am the kind of person to tell the brutal truth). Although, however, you may not. I'm just going off what you already mentionned.

It happened to a friend of mine when I was 17 (now 28 ). The number of people it affects is almost uncountable, then there are cries for reducing speed limits. The hindsight would have told him to change his attitude.

The important thing with speed is that it must be appropriate and recognising when it is and is not, is a major failing of 99% of the UK population.

If your put off by the IAM, go for a drive with an HPC member. They'll be much be better than your standard IAM member, but I would think you'll find it fun and you might just learn things they never tell you at L test wich makes things easier for you, takes the stress and impatience out of it and hopefully makes you a much better driver.

You'll notice three things straight away.

1. Observation level
2. Ability to corner, put the car in the right place, right time on the road (position)
3. It will feel all so easy and relaxed.

However, in some areas they'll be slower than you, and in others, I'll bet they are faster and smoother due to the above 3 points.

The choice is yours, you can lead a horse to water....
Darren

Postby imajes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Nigel wrote:The first myth I can dispell is its lots of money...its £85 for over 26's, £75 for under 26's, and you can sometimes get a tenner off that....thats all in, test membership, tuition...the lot.

Its as cheap as it is as all the tutors (known as observers) are volunteers, unpaid volunteers, all the local groups are entirely run on that basis.

Where in the country are you, I may be able to get you a free assessment drive (although some groups have started to charge for this now).....or, you could come to one of our events....and get a taster.

i didn't realize! Hertfordshire is where I'm at.....[/b]
imajes

Postby 7db » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:28 pm

Where in Herts?
7db

Postby imajes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:37 pm

7db wrote:Where in Herts?

Hertford.
imajes

Postby imajes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:41 pm

Darren wrote:There's quite an easy way to stop you driving too fast.

If you can be persuaded that the current way you drive, you miss 95% of hazards and can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear (most people can't, thats why they have accidents).

The choice is yours, you can lead a horse to water....

Alas, the problem of the intelligensia - I can whole heartedly agree with you, but I'll still speed tomorrow.

I am a learning by experience person - so definitely anything to help me experience better... especially, i would think, being able to experience when things go wrong would be interesting. Anyone know of ways + courses to simulate collision avoidance and other similar tactics?

I say this - i know at least half of the battle is to be better organized, aware and so on - but there is definitely another, more practical part of it too.
imajes

Postby 7db » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:48 pm

Come out for a drive. Porker's meet later on in the year isn't too far away from you.
7db

Postby imajes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:54 pm

7db wrote:Come out for a drive. Porker's meet later on in the year isn't too far away from you.

what's the format of one of these shindigs? :)
imajes

Postby 7db » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:29 pm

Depends on the shindig - usually a chance to drive with other people and experience a few different styles. Nick has some great roads and puts together a very good day.

I'm not sure I will be driving up Hertford way prior to then.
7db

Postby Porker » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Hiya

Basically we all meet up at a convenient location and drive a pre-determine route which will combine many country roads with a few sections in towns and villages.

Because of the insurance situation, we all drive our own cars, with one of the other participants acting as a co-driver. We usually do the route four times in the day, so you will get to drive with two different people and be a passenger with the same two people.

These days are informal - the atmosphere is of two friends going out together to enjoy an interesting drive in safety but demonstrating skill and flair in their driving.

You will find that a fair number of well qualified drivers will come on these days, and that you'll therefore be able to benefit from input from HPC members, professional advanced driving coaches and so on.

There is no cost, apart from your fuel and lunch.

More info on the Essex drive is at
http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/bb/vi ... .php?t=425

Hope to see you there. It will be fun and - I would imagine - quite educational :D

rgds
Nick
Porker

Postby imajes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:46 pm

7db wrote:Depends on the shindig - usually a chance to drive with other people and experience a few different styles. Nick has some great roads and puts together a very good day.

I'm not sure I will be driving up Hertford way prior to then.

cool. either way, i'm not that far from london so.....
imajes

Postby waremark » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:33 am

I live (and am an IAM Observer) near Hertford. If you fancy an assessment drive and/or a demo drive by me feel free to PM me. It can be completely informal, though probably I would then encourage you to sign up to prepare for the Advanced Driving Test with our local group (East Herts and Harlow).

Clearly, your issues are mainly of attitude. It is a very sad fact that young drivers, especially young men, have a poor accident rate, and a large part of the reason for this is that they like to get a thrill from driving. I did.

I think advanced training helps to get satisfaction from 'good' driving rather than 'fast' driving, and it certainly improves you chances of not killing yourself or others if you still feel the need to drive fast.
waremark

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum