20 mph Zones

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm

exportmanuk wrote:The 85th percentile test seems to have been abolished in favor of political expedience and pandering to aggressive lobbying from certain organisations who seem to think we should all be walking or driving at no more than walking pace

The 85th percentile has indeed been officially abolished as a way to set speed limits. Local councils have been give much more freedom to implement lower speed limits as they think fit with few restrictions/recommendations. The guidance from DfT to councils was to review speed limits with a view to adjust limits both ways (decrease and increase) but the latter is extremely rare in my experience.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby rodk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Yes, the use of the 85%ile to set speed limits dates back to the 1993 guidance and was replaced in 2006 when new guidance stated that mean speeds should be used. This was endorsed in the 2013 guidance. Both sets of guidance reference the need to understand what roads look like to all road users and in particular said that when setting speed limits traffic authorities MUST fully consider the needs of vulnerable road users (ie pedestrians and cyclists). Of course children and elderly also see those roads from their diminished visual acuity, physical capability and cognitive skills, so what may seem "reasonable" from within the confines of a warm, comfortable, protected motor vehicle may seem quite intimidating for a vulnerable road user using the road.

With regard to the mention of the legality of a 20mph zone or limit, then both of these require the necessary Traffic Regulation Order from the local Traffic Authority. Once this is done then appropriate signage must be used. A "zone" requires a minimum of a single physical calming device (ie speed bump, chicane, platform, min-roundabout, etc) but any point within that zone be with 50m of a traffic calming device (the latter includes any physical calming device, a 20mph repeater sign or a 20mph carriageway roundel). A 20mph limit requires each point to be within 50m of a repeater sign or carriageway roundel. Both 20mph zones and limits require boundary signs showing either a 20mph Zone or a 20mph sign for a limit.

Both are mandatory and enforceable. In many areas of the country this is done with 20mph speed awareness courses and FPNs as well as community speed watch teams as a lighter touch enforcement.

Note that another less well known fact is that there is already "case law" which has established that if a driver is exceeding 25mph in a 20mph limit or zone then they could be liable for the consequences of a crash even if the injured party was negligent. See Rehman v Brady.

I trust that this has helped clarify some of the issues.

Rod King
rodk

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:31 pm

ref. the other bits - thank you, interesting and a good summary...

rodk wrote:Note that another less well known fact is that there is already "case law" which has established that if a driver is exceeding 25mph in a 20mph limit or zone then they could be liable for the consequences of a crash even if the injured party was negligent. See Rehman v Brady.

ref. this - surely this is the same with any issue with a speed limit being exceeded - if you break the law you may have or share liability...
arguably, even if doing 25 in a 30 limit where the conditions or other factors suggest that a slower speed may have been more appropriate then you could hold or share liability

if you are saying that in a situation where the speed has no bearing on the accident and there is no other reason for your having liability then such a decision makes a mockery of our law and is punitive punishment

in Rehman v Brady - the speed was in excess of 20mph (28-32 est.) and there is a quote which says that an appropriate speed for the situation was 15mph - so the decision has nothing to do with exceeding 25 in a 20 causing liability - the liability was inappropriate speed - the fact that it was a 20 limit was irrelevant as a speed below that was appropriate - had it been a 30 limit and the appropriate speed should have been 15 then I would still expect the motorist to have liability. It is clear in that case that the motorist was not anticipating the consequences if someone came out from behind a car... bad driving.

Alasdair
Last edited by akirk on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akirk

Postby rodk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Alasdair

Well the issue of exceeding the speed limit and automatically being liable may well apply to other speed limits. However a judgement that 25 in a 30 was too fast would I suspect be subjective and conditional upon other factors to be decided by the judge , whereas doing 25+ in a 20 was said to be unconditional.

Rod
rodk

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:40 pm

rodk wrote:Alasdair

Well the issue of exceeding the speed limit and automatically being liable may well apply to other speed limits. However a judgement that 25 in a 30 was too fast would I suspect be subjective and conditional upon other factors to be decided by the judge , whereas doing 25+ in a 20 was said to be unconditional.

Rod

sorry - edited my response above which may change your response! :) our posts crossed...
it is clear that the driver wasn't driving appropriately for the conditions, irrelevant of speed limit.

this is such a big thing we must shout about and remember - a 30 limit doesn't mean it is safe to drive at 30, you may still need to slow down, you may still be liable if driving badly... it is a limit, not a target...

we have the law in place for that - we don't need a 20 limit to do that.

Alasdair
akirk

Postby rodk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Alastair

Your argument could apply to any limit. Hence why should it be a reason not to have a 20mph limit?

Whilst you may not agree with 20mph limits, surely you do agree with speed limits - don't you?

Rod
rodk

Postby revian » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Sorry.... Missed the thread skip...

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:07 pm

rodk wrote:Alastair

Your argument could apply to any limit. Hence why should it be a reason not to have a 20mph limit?

Whilst you may not agree with 20mph limits, surely you do agree with speed limits - don't you?

Rod

now that is an even wider discussion - but in principle, no I don't.
I believe in training people and sorting out the core issue - i.e. quality of driving and teaching people how to understand what is appropriate in any situation - admittedly a higher skill than is currently taught for the test...

there is a clear danger with speed limits - highlighted by the case you quote where they state that a safe speed would have been 15mph - not the 20mph limit.

Therefore our current system makes a mockery of safe driving as there is a belief that you can be legal and safe up to the limit - when it is clear that at times this is not so

as such speed limits are a false guidance - the correct answer is no speed limit, but you must always drive safely and at a speed appropriate to the conditions... if you changed the speed limits to speed guidance overnight, but put more onus on being safe then you would have a better match to good driving - the only reason we don't is because it is easy to measure being under / over the speed limit - it is not easy to measure safe driving... Therefore we have a system based on our lack of metrics to measure - not based on what is correct...

if we could guarantee that under the speed limit was always safe, then it would be an acceptable compromise, but as the case you quote shows this is not the case, so a speed limit is surely not the correct solution...

as I mention above - at a logic level moving a speed limit down from 30 to 20 is a total waste of time - if there are any times when it is safe to do 30, then I should legally be allowed to do that - the onus on me is still to drive at a slower speed when necessary - and the 20 limit in the case you quote made no difference if a safe speed was 15

it is like giving an asprin to a cancer patient - you look as though you are doing something and you treat a symptom, but it makes no difference to the cancer causing the issues...

If you can unequivocally prove that setting limits to 20 is a better approach than training people to drive properly I would be impressed - but it is not possible - in the case you quote a limit of 20 was still too much, but someone driving properly would have gone slower and there would have been no issue...

the answer should be train people correctly - not mess around with deckchairs on sinking ships the problem with lowering speed limits is that to apply the logic fully we are back to someone with a red flag in front of the motor car - it is quite frankly ridiculous - and the more you remove responsibility from the driver to the state and speed metrics, the more you dis-associate the driver from responsibility and the worse the driver becomes.

Alasdair
akirk

Postby gannet » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:09 pm

rodk wrote:Alastair

Rod

Why not ask it another way...

Why do we need any limit to our speed? The better educated a driver is, the more able they would be to travel a speed which is safe for the conditions - not just a blanket, speed limit is xx, I was doing that so Im ok mentality. In many circumstances I don't get near to the existing limits, in others the limit severely hampers the drive.. then concentration can waver which to my mind is a bad situation. I live in an existing 20mph zone, the majority don't take a blind bit of notice, and yes we have speed calming measures...

Germany manages with no speed limit on autobahns for example.

Better education isn't popular though so it's an uphill struggle. slow them down, that'll work...

And I speak as both a driver and a cyclist - which by the way a 20mph limit for me would see me breaking it quite regularly...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby hir » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi Rod,

And welcome to the forum.

A direct question if I may. If, on your next journey through Ormskirk, your speedometer fails and shows zero mph, and you decide to continue your journey rather than call out AA-roadside assistance, would you be any less safe a driver notwithstanding the fact that you were unable to determine your absolute speed within the 20mph and 30mph speed limit areas?

Thanking you for your response in anticipation.
hir

Postby Silk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:06 pm

rodk wrote:Whilst you may not agree with 20mph limits, surely you do agree with speed limits - don't you?

As with most people, I agree with then, as long as they only apply to other people. :wink:
Silk

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:17 pm

RobC wrote:Some interesting Police figures here. On Mill Lane on the 31st March, 30% of drivers exceeded the 20 mph limit, one doing 43mph. 50 people were caught speeding in under an hour which is £5000 in fines.
On the 2nd April, 94 drivers were caught exceeding 20 mph in 2 locations in 3 hours, that's another £9400 in fines!

Site: Mill Lane Upholland (20mph)
Site: Blackgate Lane Tarleton (20mph)
Site: Burscough St Ormskirk (20mph)

What's the crash history of those locations, or other reasons for the limits?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby RobC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Horse wrote:
RobC wrote:Some interesting Police figures here. On Mill Lane on the 31st March, 30% of drivers exceeded the 20 mph limit, one doing 43mph. 50 people were caught speeding in under an hour which is £5000 in fines.
On the 2nd April, 94 drivers were caught exceeding 20 mph in 2 locations in 3 hours, that's another £9400 in fines!

Site: Mill Lane Upholland (20mph)
Site: Blackgate Lane Tarleton (20mph)
Site: Burscough St Ormskirk (20mph)

What's the crash history of those locations, or other reasons for the limits?

No specific crash history as far as I know. Both are a few hundred yards from a town or village and were formerly 30mph limits. Both very easy to exceed 20mph especially coming down Burscough St away from Ormskirk.

Blackgate Lane
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6766636,-2.8362746,3a,88.8y,79.77h,65.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sv5dbxRcJHXOOtVQt9MKuQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Burscough St
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5726259,-2.8814516,3a,75y,220.4h,71.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slq3o8ITC3kS-xY0sFkHCHg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dlq3o8ITC3kS-xY0sFkHCHg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D242.67731%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby trashbat » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Horse wrote:What's the crash history of those locations, or other reasons for the limits?

They're all in Lancashire, which adopted 20mph limits across the county.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby RobC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:46 pm

trashbat wrote:
Horse wrote:What's the crash history of those locations, or other reasons for the limits?

They're all in Lancashire, which adopted 20mph limits across the county.

Lancashire, Bristol, Brighton, Liverpool, Oxford, Sheffield and Newcastle have implemented or are politically committed to introducing widespread 20mph speed limits.
This is in line with government guidance ‘Setting Local Speed Limits’ (Department of Transport circular 01/2013) which asks all local traffic authorities to consider 20 mph limits as a “priority for action”.
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum