20 mph Zones

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:10 pm

rodk wrote:Alasdair

My first comment was merely relating some facts about 20mph limits and zones. They weren't my "views" or "perspective" simply the "facts" which some previous posters seemed not to know and were wanting answers.

It was you who suddenly went off on one about speed limits not being necessary. My responses were to your "views" which seemed to be at odds with just about every NGO or western government I know of.

oh dear - look back through the thread -you challenged me on whether I disagreed with speed limits in concept - and yes, in concept they are not the most logical solution when other options exist - they might be the compromise solution, but to see them as the solution to all ills is be misinformed...

rodk wrote:And regarding that mythical situation where the speedo isn't working, the the limit actually is a key source of information, particularly as an indicator of the nature and risks posed by the road both to themselves and to all other road users.

Hardly mythical as I have shown above... I also drive a Z3 and there is a known issue where sporadically the dash / speedo stops - no-one knows why, and there is no known fix, just read the forums - it has happened to me on several occasions - definitely not mythical...

The speed limits used to be an indicator of the nature and risks of the roads - increasingly that is not the case - when speed limits are altered for political reasons rather than logical reasons, that stops being the case - there are huge swathes of this country now where the political decision to change the speed limit means that it no longer bears any resemblence to the real safety of that road...

Therefore safety in the non-mythical event of a speedo failing comes down as it always does to the driver's ability to read the road / read the hazards /drive accordingly - i.e. driver training

Alasdair
akirk

Postby MGF » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:18 pm

hir wrote:...Police and other emergency drivers will often exceed 40mph in a 30mph limit without any resultant risk to themselves or other road users.

How do you define 'resultant risk'. I think exemptions do create risk. That risk is mitigated through training, accountability and restricting their use to a very limited amount of drivers.
MGF

Postby hir » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:27 pm

rodk wrote:... the limit actually is a key source of information, particularly as an indicator of the nature and risks posed by the road both to themselves and to all other road users.

The above comment demonstrates a significant level of ignorance about driving and how to drive safely. The speed limit is not... "A KEY SOURCE OF INFORMATION AS AN INDICATOR OF THE NATURE AND RISKS POSED BY THE ROAD"!

I would suggest to you that just about everyone on this forum could enumerate a whole host of key indicators of the significant risks posed on any stretch of road they are faced with irrespective of the speed limit.

Just to demonstrate the absurdity of what you have posted just imagine a tight, closed, left-hand bend on a narrow country road. The appropriate speed for this bend might be 10mph. The actual speed limit might be 20, 30, 40, 50, or even 60mph. It would be stupid, irresponsible and idiotic to suggest that any of these speed limits were... "A KEY SOURCE OF INFORMATION AS AN INDICATOR OF THE NATURE OF THE RISKS POSED BY THE ROAD"

Please, as has been said before, this is an advanced driving forum for drivers who wish to improve and better their driving. It's not a vehicle for individuals whose driving is so dumbed down and who have no interest in improving their driving but simply wish to impose their own view of the world on the rest of us.
hir

Postby martine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:42 pm

Just to put another side to the 20 argument - suppose it wasn't at all about road safety but rather, making residential streets more pleasant for pedestrians and cyclists? Would that gain support from the critics here?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:56 pm

martine wrote:Just to put another side to the 20 argument - suppose it wasn't at all about road safety but rather, making residential streets more pleasant for pedestrians and cyclists? Would that gain support from the critics here?

no problem at all with that - there is a core and sensible logic to it...

however it needs to be balanced, and where some roads lend themselves to that, others do not - e.g. in my village there is a housing estate off the high street at one end - there is no through road, it is simply access to the houses - this would work well for exactly that purpose - in fact, 10mph might even be logical, you shouldn't be driving there at much above that anyway...
- the high street though - no, not logical.

however in fact safety on that housing estate means that any sensible driver still drives slowly, so a lower speed limit isn't technically needed - the only value, and a sign warning of children at play would have as much effect - is that it reminds drivers of what they may find

Alasdair
akirk

Postby waremark » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:23 am

Chaps, I am disappointed by how churlishly some of you have greeted a well informed and interesting new contributor. I happen to think that many 20 mph limits are idiotic, but that is down to politicians who put them in unsuitable places. I don't have any problem with Rod's posts.
waremark

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:26 am

rodk wrote:Although this post is a reply to RobC, I will also use it to address some of the other points raised.

Thanks for naming some of the places implementing authority-wide 20mph limits. But don't forget Bath, Portsmouth, Cambridge, Leicester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Warrington, Manchester, Wigan, St Helen's, Sefton, Brighton, Middlesbrough, Calderdale, Edinburgh, Coventry, Chichester, Darlington, York, City of London, and London Boroughs of Hackney, Islington, Camden, Greenwich, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Croydon, Lewisham, Hammersmith & Fulham, Haringey.

Funding for 20mph limits primarily comes from central government, although Section 106, LSTF, Development Funds and Public Health can all contribute. Whereas receipts from speed awareness courses do not fund any signage.

Hi Rod

Thanks for adding a couple of names to the list! Also thanks for posting as the forum has been quiet recently and its amazing how someone who seems reasonably informed posts and then everyone gangs up in response.

I was of course joking about the funding of signage!

I also agree with Mark

waremark wrote:Chaps, I am disappointed by how churlishly some of you have greeted a well informed and interesting new contributor. I happen to think that many 20 mph limits are idiotic, but that is down to politicians who put them in unsuitable places. I don't have any problem with Rod's posts.

Some 20mph speed limits are difficult to keep to, however the fact that you have actually seen the speed limit and have tried to comply is a positive to me. In my opinion speed limits are not dumbing down driving or legislating for the lowest common denominator but actually take some skill to achieve.

Rob
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:44 am

fungus wrote:Actually it would be interesting to note how drivers would drive if they had no speedometer.

Without the benefit of a speedometer, I would need to take a bit more care with regard to my judgement of speed in built-up areas(1), but elsewhere it would make no difference: the open road is derestricted. :evil:

(1) This is merely to ensure compliance with the posted limit; it would make no difference to safety.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:00 am

chriskay wrote:
rodk wrote: the the limit actually is a key source of information, particularly as an indicator of the nature and risks posed by the road both to themselves and to all other road users.

That is arrant nonsense.

I was a bit tempted to post an even briefer response than that, but I'll settle for your version.

Near where I live there are single track country lanes, with very sharp bends, blind bends moreover, and steep hills; and the NSL applies. When a safe maximum speed could be as low as 10 mph, or even less, showing a speed limit of 60 mph is not much help.

Speed limits: a guide to safe speeds!! Nope.
TripleS

Postby trashbat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 am

rodk wrote:Rob

I can see from the many references to IAM, ADI, etc that many of the group have numerous advance driving qualifications.

My intention was to share some of my knowledge of the issue for the benefit of those in the group. I was hoping that a group of "advanced drivers" or even "wannabee advanced drivers" would feel that this was beneficial.

I did feel that a different perspective would be useful and that my comments would be welcomed.

Thanks. I ask because I don't know if many outside of AD circles have a clue what it entails.

Most of the people on here have gone through a process where they've taken on a great deal of personal responsibility for their driving far beyond the norm, improved it again far beyond the norm - often obsessively - and continue to remain engaged in it. This often but not always correlates to an interest in wider road safety, particularly driver education, but the real commonality is a high level of skill and responsibility, usually independently verified.

This means that the more authoritarian elements of driving are not likely to be enormously popular. There might be a common goal between those schemes and people here but the means is likely to be quite different; the caveat being a recognition here that the AD level of driver education & engagement is very much an outlier and it will be very difficult to raise the public level of responsibility to a similar degree.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby akirk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 am

waremark wrote:Chaps, I am disappointed by how churlishly some of you have greeted a well informed and interesting new contributor. I happen to think that many 20 mph limits are idiotic, but that is down to politicians who put them in unsuitable places. I don't have any problem with Rod's posts.

Sadly though I am not sure he is well informed - other than his skew on things...
He comes onto a forum about advanced driving, but fails to read first / understand the likely makeup of members... He tells people where they can post / dismisses their views as inaccurate or irrelevant... He is selective about what he answers (because he has no answer to the real questions)... He assumes that a) his view is right b) everyone does or should agree with him c) that he speaks for the people - yet has fundamental flaws to the logic on which his views are based... and etc...

I think he has had a remarkably polite reception!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby rodk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:52 am

chriskay wrote:
rodk wrote: the the limit actually is a key source of information, particularly as an indicator of the nature and risks posed by the road both to themselves and to all other road users.

That is arrant nonsense.

I wondered what response that would get. Which is why I plucked it directly from the 01/2013 DfT guidance on setting local speed limits. ie :-

As well as being the legal limit, speed limits are a key source of information to road users, particularly as an indicator of the nature and risks posed by that road both to themselves and to all other road users.

That has been in the guidance since 2006. Note that I never said it was the "ONLY source of information...". Anyone who wishes to take issue with this statement would be better contacting DfT and HM Government rather than making personal attacks on myself.

Neither have I said that driver training is NOT effective. But I would maintain that just like 20mph limits, it is NOT a panacea for everything that is wrong with our roads. You will be far more knowledgable than myself on the benefits of training in skills, values, acuity and conformity with rules and regulations, but I would suggest that rules and regulations decided at a societal (ie national or local government level) are key to providing an environment that fairly and appropriately shares the roads for all road users and one in which training can be effective.

Neither does 20's Plenty for Us advocate "blanket" 20mph limits. We call for a default 20mph limit without heavy calming and with exceptions decided by the local traffic authority that takes into account the needs of all road users. That is in line with DfT guidance which recognises that even on main roads the needs of vulnerable road users should be balanced against any change in journey time. And I am sure that you are as aware as anyone that journey times are not primarily determined by "how fast you go" but more by "how long you are stopped" (ie congestion, lights, crossings, etc).

I do not dispute the skills of those on this forum either as drivers or as instructors. But that is not what is being questioned. We live in a democracy which, like most other democracies, sets speed limits according to the needs of communities and society at large rather than the skills of individual drivers.
rodk

Postby akirk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:20 am

rodk wrote:
chriskay wrote:

That is arrant nonsense.

I wondered what response that would get. Which is why I plucked it directly from the 01/2013 DfT guidance on setting local speed limits. ie :-

As well as being the legal limit, speed limits are a key source of information to road users, particularly as an indicator of the nature and risks posed by that road both to themselves and to all other road users.

That has been in the guidance since 2006. Note that I never said it was the "ONLY source of information...". Anyone who wishes to take issue with this statement would be better contacting DfT and HM Government rather than making personal attacks on myself.

Rod, if you post comments without attribute, or post comments in support of your argument then they will be assumed to be your view and they will be challenged, robustly or otherwise.

That it is a DfT / Gov. view doesn't make it any more valid - if you believe that this is accurate it would be interesting to see your response to the comment about tight bends where the appropriate speed limit is perhaps 10mph and the speed limit could be 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 etc. and speed limit indicates a political decision to limit speed - it used to have a basic correlation to road type within that, but rarely is that now the basis of decision making - it certainly is not an appropriate guide (KEY SOURCE) to choice of speed - and I would hope that a driver going through basic learner training would understand that...

rodk wrote:Neither have I said that driver training is NOT effective. But I would maintain that just like 20mph limits, it is NOT a panacea for everything that is wrong with our roads. You will be far more knowledgable than myself on the benefits of training in skills, values, acuity and conformity with rules and regulations, but I would suggest that rules and regulations decided at a societal (ie national or local government level) are key to providing an environment that fairly and appropriately shares the roads for all road users and one in which training can be effective.

No-one says that road design etc. has no role to play - but it is clear that driver training is the only thing which fundamentally changes driver attitude, if you really believe that our population happily drive around obeying every speed limit, and that speed limits are the way to sort out issues - then presumably we have no speeding convictions and no road traffic accidents each year? If we do, then perhaps speed limits are not the piece of the puzzle that we should be focusing on - road design and speed limits are one clue a good driver uses - however there is so much more to driving, and they are a very very small part of the decision making process - especially as they are increasingly politically motivated and separated from linking them to the actual road type and safety...

I suspect that 90% + of drivers on here drive way below the speed limit in any built up area, and are more likely to be driving at 10 / 15 /etc. mph in a congested urban area where there is a danger of a child running out - they will pick up clues such as children playing / a scooter lying on the pavement / a shop opposite or an ice cream van to which a child might run / the time of day, or time of the year, and the weather indicating whether a child might be playing out, they will spot the elderly and give them space, make way for cyclists / etc. etc. etc. - none of which has anything to do with speed limits, all of which is driver training - the alternative is you put in a blanket 20mph, do no training and the motorist feels justified to be driving at 20 when 10-15 might be safer and an accident takes place - who is responsible? your organisation for pushing for 20mph limits instead of dealing with the real issue?

rodk wrote:Neither does 20's Plenty for Us advocate "blanket" 20mph limits. We call for a default 20mph limit without heavy calming and with exceptions decided by the local traffic authority that takes into account the needs of all road users. That is in line with DfT guidance which recognises that even on main roads the needs of vulnerable road users should be balanced against any change in journey time. And I am sure that you are as aware as anyone that journey times are not primarily determined by "how fast you go" but more by "how long you are stopped" (ie congestion, lights, crossings, etc).

That is so flawed it is difficult to know where to begin ;)
- you don't advocate blanket limits, but do advocate a default 20mph limit! mmm, lets see in reality what does that mean - that you can pretend that you are on the side of the motorist while taking every opportunity to prove the opposite?
- if you / the DfT wish to take into account the needs of all motorists then you would advocate a 30 mph limit and encourage drivers (through training) to know how to use it - i.e. learn when to use it / when not - that way you would meet everyone's needs...
- vulnerable road users are not affected by a 30mph limit - you could put in a 200mph limit and it would have diddly squat affect on vulnerable road users, a limit is just that, available when safe to use - if there is a vulnerable road user (cyclist / child / elderly person) then it is not safe to use that limit, so the limit is irrelevant, it is still the driver's responsibility to drive appropriately, so even in a 200mph limit with a cyclist in front the driver should be cautious, give them space, etc. - around here we have lots of NSL roads with horses on, do you really think that drivers automatically drive at 60mph because legally that is the limit - of course not, those with a brain simply slow down! Your philosophy would change the whole country's limits to 20mph and bring it to a standstill - it is a blatant misunderstanding of how our roads were designed to work...
- how long you are stopped for has little relevance to limits

rodk wrote:I do not dispute the skills of those on this forum either as drivers or as instructors. But that is not what is being questioned. We live in a democracy which, like most other democracies, sets speed limits according to the needs of communities and society at large rather than the skills of individual drivers.

If our democracy did, then we would be happy - it doesn't because of interfering pressure groups with a very skewed vision of reality, not logic base to their arguments... and a political system keener to be seen to do something than to do it properly...

Yes, your arguments are clever because they allow politicians to feel that they are doing the right thing - it is simply a shame that they are not accurate...

you are yet to put forward one example of how a speed limit stops an accident where driver training would not / where a 20mph limit v. a 30mph limit both driven correctly is any safer / where a 20mph limit is dealing with the root cause not just the symptoms...

if you can start to put forward a case for any of those, or all, then it would be interesting to listen...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby dvenman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:32 am

rodk wrote:We live in a democracy which, like most other democracies, sets speed limits according to the needs of communities and society at large rather than the skills of individual drivers.

Surely the community is not only the community through which the road passes but also the community of drivers who use it. There's a balance to be struck, on the side of safety, but blanket 20s aren't it. Enforcement and driver education are, but the latter will never happen unless I get to be Prime Minister.
dvenman

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:01 am

dvenman wrote:
rodk wrote:We live in a democracy which, like most other democracies, sets speed limits according to the needs of communities and society at large rather than the skills of individual drivers.

Surely the community is not only the community through which the road passes but also the community of drivers who use it. There's a balance to be struck, on the side of safety, but blanket 20s aren't it. Enforcement and driver education are, but the latter will never happen unless I get to be Prime Minister.

Be careful what you 'wish' for. Would you *really* want all speed limits enforced?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum