R_U_Local - book

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby akirk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:15 pm

For those not aware:

R_U_Local - an active member of the Advanced Driving forum on Pistonheads and a slightly less active member on here has published his book on advanced driving:

Pistonheads thread:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... g+-+how+to

Amazon place to buy / borrow as Kindle / paper copy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Perfor ... 150853540X

With a background in the police, a reputation on Pistonheads for fantastic thought-provoking and very gentle threads / posts on advanced driving - I think it could be worth getting (I have ordered it to arrive tomorrow)...

no personal link or gain from this (amazon links are not affiliate links) so have a look...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:38 pm

From the Amazon link you can 'look inside ' and read several pages.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jonquirk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:46 pm

The book pulls together the threads that Reg has put up on Pistonheads. I have already bought and read the Kindle version. Highly recommended.
jonquirk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Looks good just bought the Kindle edition

DND notice on my shed :D
exportmanuk

Postby MGF » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:11 pm

I though Reg joined to promote his book. Certainly, he lost interest rather quickly.
MGF

Postby revian » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:24 pm

The book was advertised (or was it merely referred to) a while back. Kindle bought and read. Some of the photos could do with a higher resolution production.
Wirral
revian

Postby akirk » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 pm

yes, I think the Kindle version has been around for a little while -the printed copy has just been launched...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:08 am

MGF wrote:I though Reg joined to promote his book. Certainly, he lost interest rather quickly.

I think that's an unfair comment. He isn't going to get rich from that book and has to do a day job too.
Then also, here he would be preaching to the converted, so not really the best target audience.
He appears to be one of the good ex BiB, one who understands the joy of driving but wants people to understand how to do it safely.
If you were to go back through his posts many years ago on PistonHeads you would come to understand him a bit more.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:51 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
MGF wrote:I though Reg joined to promote his book. Certainly, he lost interest rather quickly.

I think that's an unfair comment. He isn't going to get rich from that book and has to do a day job too.
Then also, here he would be preaching to the converted, so not really the best target audience.
He appears to be one of the good ex BiB, one who understands the joy of driving but wants people to understand how to do it safely.
If you were to go back through his posts many years ago on PistonHeads you would come to understand him a bit more.

I think the PistonHeads articles are very good indeed, but it's not just the detailed content of them; it's also the spirit in which the advice and guidance is presented. To me it promotes a good approach to driving, dealing with the practical aspects to a very high standard, but making the search for improvements an extremely enjoyable process, and I think this helps to generate a continuing interest in the subject. When you start to feel some success, it helps to develop a kind of momentum for continuing the process.

With regard to the merits of training, as discussed elsewhere, I do wonder if promoting the right attitude to driving might actually be more rewarding across the driving population as a whole, rather than detailed training.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby revian » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 am

+1 Dave...
Wirral
revian

Postby playtent » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:23 pm

StressedDave wrote:At least Reg has some skills and understanding of the driving task as it applies to the roads. Ben Collins' book (I used to be the Stig you know...) is worth reading from the point of view of spotting the egotist...

Ben Collin seems to be doing well for himself. I'm sure there's plenty of people who would like to be where he is but just haven't got the skills or ability so end up doing it as a hobby rather than a career.
playtent

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:16 pm

+1 to what TripleS Dave wrote.

Technique is but a part of the driving equation. I'll buy it and give it a good read.

I found 'Mind Driving' a bit lacking in something. Is this where the new HTBABD is going to succeed where others have only somewhat suceeded? I hope so.

Thanks for the heads up.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby dvenman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:53 pm

I bought a Kindle copy, but as I'm spending a couple of days in the Bridgend area next week, it's well worth the couple of quid as another point of view for me to consider.
dvenman

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 pm

What Mind Driving lacked, despite its undoubted worth, was any interest. The whole book revolves around the risk equation, which could have been explained in 2 pages. The rest is mainly padding. Sorry Stephen ... :(
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:52 pm

I found Mind Driving interesting because I discovered it soon after discovering AD. It put a different perspective on an otherwise technique-focussed 'inputs' style of going about things, albeit, as you say, in a very expansive way.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum