Passed my IAM test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby RobC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 am

IcedKiwi wrote:Thanks Martin.

I've heard from our chief observer who wants me to the re-take the test to get my FIRST a.s.a.p, followed by applying for Masters, where he would be my mentor and "is where the real story begins....". Sounds intriguing!

RobC wrote:I'm no expert on IAM tests, Iv'e only done one however they do seem to be marked very differently. I do know quite a lot about DVSA tests including learner, ADI Pts 2 and DVSA Fleet, and sadly even without comment from the examiner 25 mph without quickly getting down to 20mph in a 20mph limit would result in a fail :(
Rob

According to the IAM common confusions document when talking about overtaking, HTBABD states (page 51) ‘You will fail your Advanced Driving Challenge immediately if you break any speed limits.’
I can only guess the examiner used his discretion based on the overall drive. I've read similar stories where the examiner has given the associate a 1 for commentary where perhaps they shouldn't because they didn't want to jeopardise their chances of gaining a FIRST.

Hi Scott

From what you said I agree the examiner has used discretion. On a DVSA test, failure for a speed limit would depend on how much over/under the limit, and for how long and whether you took any action to comply. If an examiner had to intervene and advise you about a missed speed limit you would fail.

Driving for test is different due to the pressures and it just goes to show there's sometimes a fine line between a vey good pass and a fail.

Rob
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby fengpo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi Scott,

Don't be too disheartened about not hitting a F1rst on the day. It's a positive note you're furthering your driving skills. Most people under 25 have no interest. See you was on the HPC young drivers day. It you want more of a challenge go the HPC route. On my half day with Clive he has an extra pair of eyes for road signs (driving in general). If you're in Worthing Andy will be closer. Any way I'll stop my marketing speech haha.
fengpo

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum