Passed my IAM test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby IcedKiwi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi All,

Had my IAM test yesterday afternoon which I passed although didn't hit the F1rst I was aiming for. Still please with the results as from the conversation we had it sounds as though my driving was at a F1rst standard bar a few errors (which I guess means that my drivings not to a F1rst standard :wink: but still happy)

Here's a bit of a brain dump for those interested in my experience of the test, apologies for the length:

First of all it was a very pleasurable experience - The examiner was a very nice chap who spoke highly of my observers and the Worthing group. He was a forensic collision investigator, Class 1 car and bike. Some good stories and mentioned that our chief observer tutored him through his advanced course. He was very keen to get me back for my F1rst as he said if I did Masters then it wouldn't be with him. We had quite a long discussion afterwards about driving, IAM, progression etc.

Some highway code questions to start. What does the amber mean after green followed by when can you cross the stop line under amber. What does a central double white line mean and when can you cross it. Did a cockpit drill. Commentary was expected (i.e. he didn't ask if I would like to provide commentary or mention at the start that we were going to. Just said can you start).
Drove around our "base" town (Littlehampton) a bit initially to take in a stop line and a corner to reverse around.

This was his official feedback:
Overall a very good drive well done. Commentary was very good and fully detailed, one of the best I have received in a long time. Very good knowledge and explanation of the system. Good planning and anticipation throughout the drive, with very good use of gears and acceleration sense. Shame you missed two speed limit signs [observation], one of which affected your legality score. Slow manoeuvring - left reverse turn, you should have stopped for the Taxi which approached your position from the rear. You were not able to demonstrate Overtaking as no opportunity arose during your test. A FIRST is very much achievable, however, I think the Masters would be more so. We also discussed Observer Training for you in due course. Well done.

All 1s on the test sheet, bar Observation (2), Legality (3), and Slow maneuvering (2), which were marked down for the reasons above.

1st sign I missed was the 20 coming off the A27 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8543237,-0.6806256,3a,75y,265.53h,61.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA4u0KE2oU37IaMoFdtFBkg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656. There was one following and so I didn't get my speed down sufficiently, and came round the corner too hot which caused my observation slip and the examiner had to tell me about the 20 limit. He said ( at least I believe it was said to mean this) that if I hadn't of missed it then he would have recommended me for F1rst, and he was really annoyed when I did it. When I told him afterwards that I was aiming for a F1rst he said he could tell from the first 10 minutes due to the level of preparation etc.

The other sign was turning left onto Ford lane https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8273428,-0.6096528,3a,75y,187.67h,64.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRP2bka41ciny2Pp9b_1fBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 where I missed the NSL, and again had to be prompted.
I guess there's a learning point there to pay extra attention when entering side roads to make a point to look out for limit changes.

Slow maneuvering - The taxi came onto the main road behind me just after I had started the turn and my nose was already a bit out on the road. I saw and acknowledged him turn onto the road but I should have stopped and let the taxi past. I continued, the taxi was still able to get past (albeit a bit wider than if I had stopped), but should have stopped. Otherwise he was very happy with the maneuver.

He was very complementary of my commentary. He said he made me do it for longer because he was enjoying it so much. I acknowledged I dropped my pace a bit whilst commentary, which he agreed with, but said it was above what he would expect for this level. For a "master level" he would expect the same commentary but at my usual pace.

The other point that he noted post test (and I winced at at the time) was this double bend https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8265695,-0.6063594,285m/data=!3m1!1e3 travelling west. I noticed the double bend sign, but the initial left was pretty open with the limit point running quite far ahead so I maintained 4th, however the right was a lot tighter so I had to brake late and take 3rd. I guess that's a planning issue and assuming that the 2nd corner would be tighter or else they wouldn't have bothered placing a double bend sign there. He said I should have selected 3rd before the first corner and driven round with acceleration sense.

No overtaking opportunities. I didn't see any during the drive, and confirmed with him afterwards that there were none that he would have taken.

Overall I was pleased with the drive, annoyed about the 20 and missing the F1rst as a result but I didn't let it effect the remainder of the drive. Looking forward to the next steps, our Chief observer is apparently going to give me a ring tonight to talk about what the IAM has to offer, then there's always HPC with who I had a very enjoyable day out at the young drivers day.

Well done if you made it this far,
Scott
IcedKiwi

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi Scott

Well done, and overall its seems a very positive experience with a very good debrief by the examiner so at least you know where you went slightly wrong!
Also good to see you have taken the time to write a report which may help others in the same situation.

Interesting point about being marked for legality for missing a 20 mph sign and the examiner commenting when you had missed the limit. I don't know how much you exceeded the 20 mph limit or at what point you would fail for exceeding the speed limit. Perhaps an examiner on here could advise?

Rob
Last edited by RobC on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby akirk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Well done - what a great result...
sometimes a good thing not to br perfect straight away - you might not feel any need to keep on improving :D

keep pushing / practising / progressing

Alasdair
akirk

Postby revian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Well done Scott... :D

Sets you up for the future with encouragement...

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby akirk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:53 pm

edited for being boring :D

Alasdair
Last edited by akirk on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akirk

Postby IcedKiwi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks Guys! Definitely want put those things right (and then discover what else is wrong so I can work on them!)

RobC wrote:Well done [....]
Interesting point about being marked for legality for missing a 20 mph sign and the examiner commenting when you had missed the limit. I don't know how much you exceeded the 20 mph limit or at what point you would fail for exceeding the speed limit. Perhaps an examiner on here could advise?

Thanks Rob.
Not quite sure what you meant here. Are you surprised that he didn't fail me? Or surprised that he marked me down for legality when I wasn't aware I was breaking the law? :mrgreen:
I think I was probably doing about 30-35 due to the narrow road (country lane, high hedges, no obvious hazards that would indicate 20) and he commented early enough that we hadn't reached the next repeater, but was obvious that I had missed it completely and wasn't slowing down.

StressedDave wrote:Congrats - any pass is a win.

On a purely personal note, who was the examiner? As ever, collision investigation is a small field, and I may have worked with/against him on some occasion.

Thanks Dave. It was Adrian Short and I believe he worked down here in Sussex.
IcedKiwi

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Quoting your own posts now, Alasdair? :P

Well done Scott. Two salient points from your report:

IcedKiwi wrote:I guess there's a learning point there to pay extra attention when entering side roads to make a point to look out for limit changes.

Yup, that's where they often change and annoyingly, where your attention is all over the place and most liable to miss them. A conscious mental check is a good way to overcome this.
IcedKiwi wrote: I maintained 4th, however the right was a lot tighter so I had to brake late and take 3rd ...

Always look to get everything right for the last corner in a series (mostly there are just two, but sometimes you can see 3 or more). It's inevitably where the limit point is, and because the one(s) leading up to it is / are open, they can be treated as just introductions to the last one, where visibility vanishes. Thus the last one is the important one. In your case the first was a left hander, so just a case of re-applying the system to come up with the right speed for the right hander, but the above does still apply.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby akirk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Quoting your own posts now, Alasdair? :P

:D - might have just been a wrong button pushed - now edited :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby EdgarF » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Well done. It sounds as if you had a very comprehensive debrief from your examiner. I hope that you take your AD further; it sounds as if you have the motivation to go for Masters, HPC or whatever.
EdgarF

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by RobC on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobC

Postby RobC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:49 pm

RobC wrote:
IcedKiwi wrote:Thanks Guys! Definitely want put those things right (and then discover what else is wrong so I can work on them!)

RobC wrote:Well done [....]

Thanks Rob.
Not quite sure what you meant here. Are you surprised that he didn't fail me? Or surprised that he marked me down for legality when I wasn't aware I was breaking the law? :mrgreen:
I think I was probably doing about 30-35 due to the narrow road (country lane, high hedges, no obvious hazards that would indicate 20) and he commented early enough that we hadn't reached the next repeater, but was obvious that I had missed it completely and wasn't slowing down.

Hi Scott

Its easy to miss a speed limit under the pressure of a test, the main thing is that you've passed.

I'm no expert on IAM tests, Iv'e only done one however they do seem to be marked very differently. I do know quite a lot about DVSA tests including learner, ADI Pts 2 and DVSA Fleet, and sadly even without comment from the examiner 25 mph without quickly getting down to 20mph in a 20mph limit would result in a fail :(

Rob
Last edited by RobC on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobC

Postby martine » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Well done Sir...sounds like a very good drive. Onwards and upwards!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks Martin.

I've heard from our chief observer who wants me to the re-take the test to get my FIRST a.s.a.p, followed by applying for Masters, where he would be my mentor and "is where the real story begins....". Sounds intriguing!

RobC wrote:I'm no expert on IAM tests, Iv'e only done one however they do seem to be marked very differently. I do know quite a lot about DVSA tests including learner, ADI Pts 2 and DVSA Fleet, and sadly even without comment from the examiner 25 mph without quickly getting down to 20mph in a 20mph limit would result in a fail :(
Rob

According to the IAM common confusions document when talking about overtaking, HTBABD states (page 51) ‘You will fail your Advanced Driving Challenge immediately if you break any speed limits.’
I can only guess the examiner used his discretion based on the overall drive. I've read similar stories where the examiner has given the associate a 1 for commentary where perhaps they shouldn't because they didn't want to jeopardise their chances of gaining a FIRST.
IcedKiwi

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:18 pm

<IAM ignoramus here>Can you only take Masters if you've got F1RST? If not, why bother retaking - you know what the errors were on the day, you know how to fix them, why not move on to another challenge?

IcedKiwi wrote:I've read similar stories where the examiner has given the associate a 1 for commentary where perhaps they shouldn't because they didn't want to jeopardise their chances of gaining a FIRST.

Well, my respect for this F1RST qualification is going up in leaps and bounds! :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:<IAM ignoramus here>Can you only take Masters if you've got F1RST? If not, why bother retaking - you know what the errors were on the day, you know how to fix them, why not move on to another challenge?

I don't believe so. According to the website, you don't even have to be a member of the IAM, although the price goes up by £30 to include your first years membership. Maybe it's more of a case that he thinks i'm of F1RST standard and therefore should have my F1RST, or he's proud of his groups achievements and so wants the F1RST for the group too?
IcedKiwi

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum