A New Perspective

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby triquet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:21 pm

And so last weekend up to Peterborough (from Occupied North Berkshire) with a box trailer full of antiques and allied junk for the Peterborough Antiques Fair. Interesting experience pootling along, while trying to minimize g forces on the roundabouts ... steady 60 (indicated, plus a bit to keep ahead of the HGVs on the A43 / A45), took about ten minutes extra. The main problem with this of pootling is keeping focus and remembering you have a trailer behind, adnd it's not a tailgating Transit ... :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Reducing journey time is actually very difficult. I had the satnav set up one evening showing arrival time and chopping a minute of required travelling a fair bit quicker.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jont » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:21 pm

Horse wrote:Reducing journey time is actually very difficult. I had the satnav set up one evening showing arrival time and chopping a minute of required travelling a fair bit quicker.

Depends on the SatNav. Garmins seem to learn, so if you're not careful you can end up "racing" yourself :lol: Tomtom tends to stick to conservative numbers (both my units are a good few years old now). I suspect modern units/phones with a data link incorporate live traffic into timing/routes too.
jont

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:20 pm

We were due with friends @ 8pm, and set off from the New Forest at about 7pm. Satnav was showing 8.04 or similar, and we arrived at 8pm.

Oh - it's the Filly's satnav ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby triquet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 am

It's a funny old world.

We regularly travel between Occupied North Berkshire and daughter who lives in Letchworth (Garden City). Quickest route is M40 / M25 / A1, but sometimes we go North-about via Milton Keynes just for a laugh and to enjoy the roundabouts.

Likewise, son and daughterinlaw and the two mini-triquets live in York and we have developed a huge portfolio of routes and stopping places to keep us entertained, particularly in view of the ludicrous M1 road works. With a good road atlas you can sneer at the stupid Satnavs and take to the byeways .... :D :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Return to Advanced Driving Forum