RoSPA Platinum?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Zebedee » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:22 am

If there's going to be an arms race about standards, I'd rather it was about coaching standards.

Also, given how many AD standards already exist, I fail to see how there's any value in bringing out another AD badge.

Perhaps RoSPA should focus its time on marketing AD, instead of creating another badge.
Zebedee

Postby Happy Hopper » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:10 am

I think the ultimate driving standard is a high level advanced qualification for the road, combined with success at track/rally based competition driving.,.

That's just my opinion.

As for Police advanced, let's be honest it's a great standard but the majority of very good, committee drivers should be able to pass.

The best way to really learn a car is to push it beyond (ahem, up to!) its limits on track. Combine that with safe advanced driving and there you have the perfect driver lol

Or dare I say a "platinum" class driver :)
Happy Hopper

Postby arrivealive » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:13 am

Happy Hopper wrote:As for Police advanced, let's be honest it's a great standard but the majority of very good, committee drivers should be able to pass.

And that opinion is based on you having done the Police advanced course or what a friend of a friend has told you?
arrivealive

Postby superplum » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:31 am

Isn't this just a load of old gossip and wishful thinking (for some) :?: . After all, RoADAR don't even have a Chief Examiner at the moment, so how could they?

:wink:
superplum

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:04 pm

arrivealive wrote:
Happy Hopper wrote:As for Police advanced, let's be honest it's a great standard but the majority of very good, committee drivers should be able to pass.

And that opinion is based on you having done the Police advanced course or what a friend of a friend has told you?

The more I read, such as the recent thread here, the more I laugh at that belief :)

What they *should * be able to do is drive to that standard, keeping to speed limits, and not using any exemptions. Big difference.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby kwk » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:20 am

I'm a Rospa examiner and this is news to me.
kwk

Postby arrivealive » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:03 pm

kwk wrote:I'm a Rospa examiner and this is news to me.

I think it was thrown in to generate some discussions. But seems to have failed :roll:
arrivealive

Postby Advanced Driving » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:11 pm

As far we are know, there is no mention of RoSPA creating a Platinum level.
Advanced Driving

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm a Examiner as well and I have not heard of it either.
Stephen

Postby Ralge » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:49 am

hir wrote:
Ralge wrote:Dunno, really, but I might have expected RoSPA HQ to tell me and others amongst their merry/sober (?) band of fleet/advanced trainers about it.
How will platinum sit with their Diploma?

Platinum, if it's ever brought in, won't... "sit with their Diploma"

RoSPA's Bronze, Silver, Gold and the suggested Platinum, if it happens, are advanced driving standards.

Whereas, RoSPA's Diploma is an advanced driving coaching award. It is not, in itself, an advanced driving standard.

You are right but coaching/training on the move with full instructional commentary took/takes my driving up a notch or three from "just" Gold, I reckon.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby MGF » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:59 am

arrivealive wrote:

Or an awareness of the selection process for becoming a Police Officer and being put on the necessary courses coupled with the pass rates for those courses? It's probably a reasonable assertion that of those who fit the category "very good committed drivers" more would pass the advanced course than fail.

Anyway are you still here? :)
MGF

Postby arrivealive » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:51 pm

MGF wrote:
Anyway are you still here? :)

I am, but I don't think anyone else is! :)
arrivealive

Postby horse49 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 am

Not heard about Platinum. Why do they need to copy IAM. They only introduced 'Masters' or their 1st probably because they didn't have variations passes, only 'you've passed', that's it, done, don't need to re-qualify or have ride/drive checks ever again. There is someone in my ROSPA group who passed his IAM in 1959 and because he's kept up the subs, he is still qualified. Luckily he is also in ROSPA and takes the 3 yearly re-test.
I'm in both and I know which one I prefer.
horse49

Postby martine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:48 pm

horse49 wrote:Not heard about Platinum. Why do they need to copy IAM. They only introduced 'Masters' or their 1st probably because they didn't have variations passes, only 'you've passed', that's it, done, don't need to re-qualify or have ride/drive checks ever again. There is someone in my ROSPA group who passed his IAM in 1959 and because he's kept up the subs, he is still qualified. Luckily he is also in ROSPA and takes the 3 yearly re-test.
I'm in both and I know which one I prefer.

The IAM Masters has to be retaken every 5 years.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum