RoSPA Platinum?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby paul adams » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi

Not sure if its just talk, but RoSPA are looking at a Platinum grade (i.e one above RoSPA Gold?)

Does anyone else know about this? I thought a gold as impressive enough. What would one need to do for a Platinum?
paul adams

Postby martine » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:23 pm

I wonder if this is in response IAM 'Masters' test?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:26 pm

If I invent another course, I'll call the "The Milled from Billet Unobtanium Award'

What next? Will we start going through the entire periodic table . . . ? :roll:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby paul adams » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Lol...What about RoSPA Diamond! For those too good for the Platinum!

Seriously though something like that would be good if it could have various elements like track driving, skid control etc...Similar to the HPC, but that leat RoSPA is an organisation that people have heard of...If I mentioned HPC to 99.9% of the general public they would probably look at me blankly...
paul adams

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:25 pm

paul adams wrote:Hi

Not sure if its just talk, but RoSPA are looking at a Platinum grade (i.e one above RoSPA Gold?)

Does anyone else know about this? I thought a gold as impressive enough. What would one need to do for a Platinum?

hi Paul,

I think RoSPA have had a Platinum award for Occ. Health for some time, so it's only natural that it should also apply to AD. I wonder what they'd cover though?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby paul adams » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Kimosabe wrote:

hi Paul,

I think RoSPA have had a Platinum award for Occ. Health for some time, so it's only natural that it should also apply to AD. I wonder what they'd cover though?

Possibly those reaching gold with some added flair? I don't for one minute think anyone who reaches gold has hit the highest level of driving (although impressive standard), or more importantly not all golds are the same...Some may scrape it, others fly it and some more...
paul adams

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 pm

DIA have the DIAmond advanced test.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Zebedee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:10 pm

Good grief. That's all we need: an arms race about who has the highest standard :roll: I imagine RoSPA will have been influenced by the IAM's Masters programme.

I reckon the good thing about the Masters programme is that it has trained mentors and a programme of coaching. I hope RoSPA takes the coaching side seriously too. It's the learning that counts, not the test, IMO.
Zebedee

Postby paul adams » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:07 am

I agree - its about the training more than anything else...
paul adams

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:45 pm

paul adams wrote:I agree - its about the training more than anything else...

'Training' you say?

Hmmmm . . .

[If it doesn't fully display, make the window larger or scroll]
Horse

Postby GS » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:14 pm

Where hid you hear this?
GS
GS

Postby paul adams » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Its a chap I was talking to and they said they have heard about this....Probably not an overly reliable source I guess, but I doubt he would make it up either..
paul adams

Postby Kimosabe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Zebedee wrote:Good grief. That's all we need: an arms race about who has the highest standard :roll: I imagine RoSPA will have been influenced by the IAM's Masters programme.

I reckon the good thing about the Masters programme is that it has trained mentors and a programme of coaching. I hope RoSPA takes the coaching side seriously too. It's the learning that counts, not the test, IMO.

The arms race grew a long, grey beard many years ago and has since popped it's head out of its cave at every given opportunity.

The widely accepted civilian AD hierarchy and lineage, as I understand it, is:
IAM F1rst - most people will take an IAM course due to the IAM having spent more on marketing than RoSPA. RoSPA Gold - for people who feel the need to learn more of the same thing as IAM and who found out about the RoADAR course through someone in the IAM. Quite often, though not always, their IAM examiner.
IAM Masters (with Distinction) - for people who know there's more to it than that accepted during an IAM or RoSPA test and who have a spare couple of hundred quid to spend on more AD.
RoSPA Platinum - i'd imagine it would fit in about here somewhere.
HPC Gold - proves that the rest is only the beginning.
(Police Advanced - has its own territory which civilians cannot enter, due to legal restrictions and so it doesn't really count).
Then there are those people whose skills and abilities allow them to train the Police AD trainers. You're likely to encounter them via the HPC.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Ralge » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:47 am

Dunno, really, but I might have expected RoSPA HQ to tell me and others amongst their merry/sober (?) band of fleet/advanced trainers about it.
How will platinum sit with their Diploma?
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby hir » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am

Ralge wrote:Dunno, really, but I might have expected RoSPA HQ to tell me and others amongst their merry/sober (?) band of fleet/advanced trainers about it.
How will platinum sit with their Diploma?

Platinum, if it's ever brought in, won't... "sit with their Diploma"

RoSPA's Bronze, Silver, Gold and the suggested Platinum, if it happens, are advanced driving standards.

Whereas, RoSPA's Diploma is an advanced driving coaching award. It is not, in itself, an advanced driving standard.
hir

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum