Awareness between motorists and cyclists - Questionnaire

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby andrewgratton » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a University student studying Product Design, please could you help me out and complete my online survey which will go towards collecting data for my Final Major Project, which focuses on the awareness between cyclists and motorists.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JSX7K63

Thank-you,

Andrew Gratton
andrewgratton

Postby Pyrolol » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:25 pm

andrewgratton wrote:online survey

Question 3 doesn't make sense (who is unaware of what?). Also, please could you define 'hazardous': I suspect you're not using the term in the same sense that most users of this forum do.

I haven't submitted a response because of the above ambiguity. I do appreciate that the survey is short though: thank-you for that.
Pyrolol

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Pyrolol wrote:Question 3 doesn't make sense (who is unaware of what?).

That was where I gave up.

Pyrolol wrote: Also, please could you define 'hazardous': I suspect you're not using the term in the same sense that most users of this forum do.

The old 'Roadcraft' one for 'hazard' is usable: anything which contains an element of actual or potential danger.

Risk involves the likelihood of something going wrong and the harm which might be caused if it does. Look up 'risk matrix' and 'risk assessment'.

Not, as a sign in Portsmouth warns: "Beware of falling hazards" :roll:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Pyrolol wrote:

Question 3 doesn't make sense (who is unaware of what?). Also, please could you define 'hazardous': I suspect you're not using the term in the same sense that most users of this forum do.

I haven't submitted a response because of the above ambiguity. I do appreciate that the survey is short though: thank-you for that.

Me too.

Also I don't understand the question about 'vulnerable - front/back/side' - is that in front of me or the cyclists front?

You need to reword your survey to make it clearer exactly what you are asking.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MGF » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:17 am

Pyrolol wrote:

Also, please could you define 'hazardous': I suspect you're not using the term in the same sense that most users of this forum do.

I think you are confusing hazardous with a hazard. Hazardous means dangerous. Hazard could mean potentially dangerous which is what I think you are getting at.

I too feel clarity on questions 3 and 5 would help.
MGF

Postby Ancient » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:23 am

Sorry Andrew, but the survey makes no sense. You need to learn how to ask questions without involving you own assumptions (e.g. Q4) and without combining two different ideas (Q3)

Horse wrote:...
The old 'Roadcraft' one for 'hazard' is usable: anything which contains an element of actual or potential danger.

Not, as a sign in Portsmouth warns: "Beware of falling hazards" :roll:

:P Perhaps it is only necessary to beware of things falling which contain an element of actual or potential danger? Maybe they were trying to distinguish between pillows and individual feathers :lol:
Ancient

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Ancient wrote:
Horse wrote: Not, as a sign in Portsmouth warns: "Beware of falling hazards" :roll:

:P Perhaps it is only necessary to beware of things falling which contain an element of actual or potential danger? Maybe they were trying to distinguish between pillows and individual feathers :lol:

Neither :)

It's on the plinth of a sculpture, so I presume that the hazard is 'falling off' after partaking in the risky activity of 'climbing up'.

To be fair, it does say "CAUTION DO NOT CLIMB FALLING HAZARD"

Or, do they mean the hazard is falling, so don't climb on it? :roll:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Ancient » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:00 pm

Maybe a repeat offender is locally known as FH and it's a personalised message? :D
Ancient

Postby revian » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Maybe Eden Hazard is leaving Chelsea and moving down...
Wirral
revian

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 am

Andrew I hope you take the feedback on the questions the right way - especially as the questionnaire may be marked and influence your final grade.

Overall the questions could do with some more proofreading. Did you consider testing the questionnaire with a trial audience before release? As it stands it's not ready for release to the public IMO. For example in Q3 I think you mean to use "cyclists" instead of bicycles. Currently the question seems to asking respondants if they think an inanimate object has awareness (and what is the "them" the cycles might be aware of if they did?). I'm struggling to guess what you actually intended to ask - it's too confusing. Any answer you get may be to a different question to the one you meant to ask and risks confounding your analysis.

In Q4 you ask "where" but one of the options is a time of day not a place (night). Recommend you ask a separate question about times of day conflating places and times in a single question will make it difficult for you to analyse the responses (for example do you mean the other options to be when restricted to daylights hours, or does night mean "at night when not in any of the other locations mentioned"?)

Also in Q4, in the forth option corners are things you find on roads not in them, in fact the mention of roads in this option is superfluous. Also note that in common usage the term "corner" is normally associated with junctions, most people would use "bends" - that on it's own is adequate in this context. Again respondents may misinterpret the question.

Consider your audience - bear in mind that they have no idea what you want to achieve from this survey so any guesses we make as to the meaning of the questions may be different to yours. The validity of any results you get are critically dependent on respondents answering the questions you intended to ask and not the ones they though you were asking!

Q5 is ambiguous - not 100% clear what question you are trying to ask .

Sorry been doing a lot of proofreading at work this week.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Return to Advanced Driving Forum