POWDER Checklist - every day?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby 04smallmj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 pm

I took my first RoADAR test today and achieved a silver :-).

But anyway, I've been wondering this for a while. Roadcraft states that vehicle checks (POWDER) should be undertaken before driving a new vehicle or for the first time every day. However, I drive 7 miles on weekdays to and from work and this seems a bit OTT. I do the POWDER checks at least every weekend and the work vehicles (two Transit Connects and a Sprinter) are checked weekly, so is it really necessary to check everything (oil levels, tyre pressures, tread depth etc) on a daily basis, considering that Roadcraft is aimed at traffic cops who drive possibly 100+ miles per day?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :-)
04smallmj

Postby MGF » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:20 pm

The frequency with which these tests need to be carried out naturally depends on the particular circumstances. The same applies to cockpit drill.

Choose a regime that works for you. Although I check my tyres for uneven tyre wear I can't be bothered to check tread depth within the first year of fitting as I can see they are well over 3mm. On the other hand tyre pressures change much more often and weekly checks suffice for me.
MGF

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:42 am

Police drivers generally will be picking up a car that is used by others (and who knows what they were doing in the last shift?).

As MGF says any starting drill needs to be customised to meet your specific circumstances. A car which has only one driver will need a lot less prep (I only check my seat position if I'm picking it up from the garage!).

Generally I always do a quick look round for damage and check the tyres still appear inflated. Oil, water, pressures,lights etc are checked weekly (or before a long journey), tread depths (and spare generally) monthly.

Shared works vehicles should be checked every time, at least in terms of basic roadworthiness - you don't know what the previous user has been up to in it (works vans get serious abuse), and you have little control over your employers maintenance standards (can you be sure any claimed checks have actually been done to a minimum adequate standard, and any results acted upon?). Less concerned about oil and water - if they choose to ruin their engines through poor maintenance, it's their money - but I'd want to know that it's not going to kill or land me with points on my license. Get caught driving an unroadworthy vehicle and it's on you legally speaking.

www.driversdomainuk.com
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby 04smallmj » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks guys, very useful info.

I'm usually the one who carries out the work vehicle checks, but not always, and nobody has got around to doing it this week yet. I like the idea of checking the basic roadworthiness of the work vehicles every time. A quick check of the lights and tyres would take less than minute.

Thanks peeps ;-)
04smallmj

Return to Advanced Driving Forum