Very busy mini roundabout during rush hour

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Tony32 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:05 pm

As part of my daily commute I have to deal with an extreemly busy mini roundabout. Most of the time when I approach the roundabout it is not safe to emerge and even when it is possible to emerge it is often difficult and I have to think very quickly.

Today I emerged at a suitable time, after waiting for several cars to pass, although I was not completely satisfied it was the right time, there was just enough time for me to clear the roundabout in time. As I approached the roundabout, the car approaching from the left also decided to enter the roundabout. Even though it was clear to my right and I decided to emerge I must stress that this driver did enter the roundabout after I decided to emerge and as I was entering the roundabout. However, I keep beating myself up about this sitchuation, thinking I could have handled it better. In your honest opinion does it sound as though I am at fault and is there anything else I could have learnt from this sitchuation, other than the following :

1. Always be aware of what traffic is doing at all exits, even if it is my right of way.
2. Consider that if I decide to emerge when there is only just enough time to clear the roundabout, that someone appriaching from the left could still pull out meaning I would have to slow down causing an issue for the driver approaching from the right.
3. Be aware that traffic approaching from the left may be anticipating that I wait for more of a sutiable gap in the traffic and assume it is ok for them to energe.

I do have a tendancy to beat myself up and even when another driver does something wrong I often believe either I am in the wrong or could have done something better. The points I have made above, however are what I have laern from being in this sitchuation several times. I would appreciate it if anyone has any further tips or advise regarding what to do in the above sitchuation.

Many thanks.
Tony32

Postby Gareth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:41 pm

From the description I wonder whether I'd be correct to assume that it hasn't been all that long since you passed the driving test?

I think I can offer three thoughts. The first is that sometimes drivers aren't confident about pulling away quickly; it's worth practicing this until you are completely confident. A common fault is to use 1st gear for only a very short distance before changing into 2nd; you will probably find you can delay the gear change until after the mini-roundabout, which in turn might remove some of the stress of timing your entry onto the mini-roundabout.

The second thought is that drivers sometimes feel pressure to enter a mini-roundabout before they are ready to do so; from a safety point of view it is important to resist any such pressure.

My final offering is that while you are should be giving way to drivers who are already using the mini-roundabout, many plan their approach from some yards before the give-way line so, in practice, you need to be aware of vehicles approaching the entrances to your right, especially if they are moving quickly.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby superplum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:09 pm

+1 to Gareth's comments. Firstly, remove the "right of way" terminology from your brain - no-one has right of way. The standard roundabout rule of giving way to traffic from the right should be followed. Unfortunately many drivers don't know this or choose to ignore it and this creates the confusion. Build your confidence and stay patient. Suitable opportunities will present themselves and you can then move in a timely but relaxed manner. If you visualise the scenario where 3 cars arrive in their junctions at the same time, only the one with initiative drawn from experience will prevent a possible deadlock.
superplum

Postby TripleS » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:39 pm

superplum wrote:+1 to Gareth's comments. Firstly, remove the "right of way" terminology from your brain - no-one has right of way. The standard roundabout rule of giving way to traffic from the right should be followed. Unfortunately many drivers don't know this or choose to ignore it and this creates the confusion. Build your confidence and stay patient. Suitable opportunities will present themselves and you can then move in a timely but relaxed manner. If you visualise the scenario where 3 cars arrive in their junctions at the same time, only the one with initiative drawn from experience will prevent a possible deadlock.

Oh aye, if they hesitate too long, I get in.
TripleS

Return to Advanced Driving Forum