New Forum Member with newbie questions!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:22 pm

Hi all, I've just spent the last couple of days reading as much of the previous threads on this site as possible. I've been consistently impressed with the quality of discussion and flexibility of thinking, and I've had some of my assumptions challenged or confirmed, it's all good!

A bit about myself, I drive a Yamaha Diversion 600 (sedate, competent, an ideal first "big" bike) and have done so for 3 years (as of tomorrow, actually!) and I'm looking at where to go next. I'm currently taking driving lessons from a friend of mine who's *just* qualified as an ADI and wants practice while he builds up a client base, looking to take my DSA test within about 4/6 weeks.

I've got about 7-8 questions that have come up in my reading of this forum, but I'll ask them in separate threads, or there'll be a confusion of multiple topics all in one place!

Anyway, thanks everyone for making this forum something well worth reading, I look forward to advancing my driving/riding with you guys as a part of that!

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby BillZZR600 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:47 pm

SammyTheSnake
Welcome to the site.

Whether on two or more wheels there is always something to be learned, and you wont find better ways of doing that than on here.

Bill
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby 7db » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:13 pm

Welcome.

Would you happen to own a rollerskate? There's a chap here who'd like to see you...
7db

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:05 pm

7db wrote:Welcome.

Would you happen to own a rollerskate? There's a chap here who'd like to see you...

I've got a pair of rollerblades somewhere if that helps...

Cheers & God bless
PS. in case it helps, maybe I should point out I *usually* miss hidden meanings, so if you meant something other than "rollerskate" above, it'd be nice if you said so :-p
SammyTheSnake

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:45 pm

Hello Sam and welcome to ADUK.

....you must be Sally's pal then. :lol:

I'm afraid I missed her 'demonstration drive' - pity about that!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby vonhosen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:30 pm

Welcome :D
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby BillZZR600 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:47 pm

SammyTheSnake wrote:
7db wrote:Welcome.

I've got a pair of rollerblades somewhere if that helps...

Cheers & God bless
PS. in case it helps, maybe I should point out I *usually* miss hidden meanings, so if you meant something other than "rollerskate" above, it'd be nice if you said so :-p

:lol: IIRK The reference to a snake was an example in previous discussion with regards to observations.
For example, someone cresting a hill may think that they can see the road ahead, but if there were "a snake on a skateboard" you would not see it, untill you had actually reached the highest point, or that observations of a junction with a low hedge along the road leading to it does not mean, that if you can see a vehicle over the top of the hedge some distance back,that it is indeed clear at the actual junction :)
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:41 pm

BillZZR600 wrote: :lol: IIRK The reference to a snake was an example in previous discussion with regards to observations.
For example, someone cresting a hill may think that they can see the road ahead, but if there were "a snake on a skateboard" you would not see it, untill you had actually reached the highest point, or that observations of a junction with a low hedge along the road leading to it does not mean, that if you can see a vehicle over the top of the hedge some distance back,that it is indeed clear at the actual junction :)

Ah, I feel a little wiser now. I tried to read most of the posts on this site, but I skipped a few threads that didn't grab me, even with the history only going back a relatively short time, there's a lot to read and apparently I missed that one :-p

I'll endeavour to have a flag or something to ensure I'm visible over the brow of the hill in future :)

On the other hand, I'm higher than 90% of road users anyway, being sat on *top* of my vehicle rather than *in* it!

My driving instructor told me off for making the "But I could see the car, even if I can't see the road" assumption. I'll have to try to remember it's a confirmation, not a primary source of road information...

Cheers & God bless
SammyTheSnake

Return to Advanced Driving Forum