The Image of Advanced Driving

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MGF » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:52 am

Horse wrote:
waremark wrote: The Hazard Perception Test was introduced specifically to encourage more teaching of this area (unfortunately the implementation has been rather poor).

. . . And secondly, it would enable them to enhance their skills once the basics of driving had become more instinctive.

The introduction of the HPT was credited with an 11% reduction in crashes involving new drivers. 'Enhanced skills' doesn't, as far as I know, have any substantial evidence to commend it.

The HPT has enhanced the skills of anticipation and awareness. The skills that Rob is suggesting could be enhanced further.
MGF

Postby vonhosen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:54 pm

ROG wrote:Making a big financial saving will have loads queuing up to do it but that means the insurers will need to get on board in a big way

What's in it for the insurers?
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:21 am

Ancient wrote:Image ????

Well I do my best to help: I keep an IAM badge in my back window, the edge just visible in my rear view mirror to remind me that I'm supposed to be setting an example :wink: and I (almost) always where a flat cap when driving. Hopefully that'll improve the image a bit? :D

Pah, that's only doing half a job. Where's the string backed driving gloves? :P
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:26 am

chriskay wrote:One incentive, for those who enjoy driving, to take their driving to the best standard to which a civilian can reasonably aspire, is to try to join the High Performance Club, membership of which will give the opportunity of driving some cars which they could never hope to own. I recently had the great pleasure of driving a McLaren 675LT: hardly a pipe & slippers car. :lol:

Yes, that's fine, and no doubt very high driving standards can be acquired there; but it is expensive (which is not to say it isn't fair value) and I doubt if many drivers would be prepared to spend that much money.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 am

ROG wrote:Making a big financial saving will have loads queuing up to do it but that means the insurers will need to get on board in a big way

Yes, and that really would be an immense help to many young drivers currently facing enormous insurance premiums.
TripleS

Postby Ancient » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:28 am

TripleS wrote:
Ancient wrote:Image ????

Well I do my best to help: I keep an IAM badge in my back window, the edge just visible in my rear view mirror to remind me that I'm supposed to be setting an example :wink: and I (almost) always where a flat cap when driving. Hopefully that'll improve the image a bit? :D

Pah, that's only doing half a job. Where's the string backed driving gloves? :P

I can run to string backed cycling gloves if that's any good? :D
Ancient

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13 am

vonhosen wrote:

What's in it for the insurers?

No idea.

I'd have thought that if it was a genuine benefit for them, they would be falling over themselves already to offer massive discounts.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum