Enjoyed the training, now put off

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Paul » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Hello, just joined to try and get back on track.

I passed the IAM advanced test roughly 10 months ago, I thoroughly enjoyed the training which only took me 3 driving sessions. I drive for a living hense only 3 observations.

I had the observations graded each time as a F1rst, so onto the test I passed with a sound 2, the examiner was very nice chap current class 1 police driving instructor. However he seemed very much occupied with his own thoughts, conversation was limited and very much down to business.

As I said I drive for a living which is a 3.5t box can, which he made comment it's very obvious you drive a van?

10 months has passed and I've looked at the certicate once and put it back in the envelope, since reading people experience with the test on here I've realised I've perhaps not had the best or a normal experience of the test?

My observers comments once I told him the news was, well maybe he was having a bad day? And perhaps anyone else would of got a fail.

So forward thinking, picking myself back, what's next?

I thought about redoing the test, however I could quite easily end up with the same examiner, rospa test is one idea.

What's your thoughts?

Thank you for reading, sorry it might be a bit long.

Paul
Paul

Postby hir » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:32 am

Paul wrote:
I thought about redoing the test, however I could quite easily end up with the same examiner, rospa test is one idea.

What's your thoughts?

Thank you for reading, sorry it might be a bit long.

Paul

Whatever you do, don't redo the IAM entry test! It'll be a waste of your time and money. :(

Next, do RoSPA (known as RoADAR). The test is graded Fail, Bronze, Silver, Gold. To retain your membership you must be re-tested every three years. Annual membership, including the cost of the re-tests is about £20 per year.

Then, do IAM Masters. the test is graded Fail, Pass, Distinction.

These two tests should keep you occupied for a couple of years and will help to take your mind off whatever poor experience you had with the IAM entry level test examiner.

Good luck. :D
hir

Postby Paul » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:45 pm

Hello thank you for your reply,

Looks like a good plan, it will certainly keep me busy for a while.

Thank you
Paul

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:40 pm

As an Examiner for both organisations I wouldn't be put off with your result as I get lots of people who come for test and what they have been told all through their training that they are at a higher level than what they actually are.

Prior to me becoming an Examiner I was a senior observer with my local group for just short of 20 years,when they used to ask me to do check drives to see if associate's were up to standard.

Some of these were not as good as what the observer had wrote in their book,and for me a lot of observers over mark and by doing this they are not doing the associate any favours.

I am now seeing this trend of over marking when carrying out tests,which the groups or certain individuals in the groups feel that they should be getting more first's than they are.

The other thing that you have to remember if you are just on test standard and have a bit of a bad drive then then you could trip up with the result,whereas if you are above standard and have a bad drive then you will still get the result but at a lower standard I.e a 2 which is not far away from what the group marked you down for .

There is a higher standard above the SFL which is First then masters SFL is not the be all and end all of Advanced driving.
Stefluc
Stephen

Postby Paul » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Thank you for that Stephen,

This is perhaps what has happened when I went through my training, it is a shame as it does give an Expected outcome.

I will certainly be looking to start my rospa training shortly, back to my old mind set and original goals this should be merely the my starting point.
Paul

Return to Advanced Driving Forum