Dashcams - Are they worth it?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby clear99 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:33 pm

HI

What does everyone think of dashcams? I know they could be a great idea but are there any insurance discounts for example?

I know they are coming down in price but still a fair amount to shell out for...

thank you
clear99

Postby Angus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:10 pm

clear99 wrote:I know they are coming down in price but still a fair amount to shell out for...

Really? £15-20 for the cheaper ones
Angus

Postby clear99 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:38 pm

Angus wrote:
clear99 wrote:I know they are coming down in price but still a fair amount to shell out for...

Really? £15-20 for the cheaper ones

wow - didn't know they were that cheap..
clear99

Postby jcf1966 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 pm

Do not buy a cheap one get the best you can.

They are worth every penny, they can hang you as well
So be careful

James
jcf1966

Postby christopherwk » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:09 am

My insurance company supplies me with a dashcam, which is compulsory.

They come out and fit it for you (therefore it is always on, when you drive), though can't take the SD card out.

In the even of an accident/claim, someone will come out and take the SD card.
christopherwk

Postby clear99 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:44 pm

I've seen a good one in Halfords for just under £150....
clear99

Postby Astraist » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Personally I don't bother, but I get to review a lot of footage from others and it is a very good coaching tool, because it reveales the driver's shortcoming in defensive driving.

However, I find that installing one tends to coincide with a shift of responsibility to other road users. You film the drive in order to catch others shortcomings. Shifting the responsibility back to the filming driver takes some work.
Astraist

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:42 am

Astraist wrote:Personally I don't bother, but I get to review a lot of footage from others and it is a very good coaching tool, because it reveales the driver's shortcoming in defensive driving.

However, I find that installing one tends to coincide with a shift of responsibility to other road users. You film the drive in order to catch others shortcomings. Shifting the responsibility back to the filming driver takes some work.

I see it completely the other way round: as far as I'm concerned the responsibility never left me.

It has occasionally crossed my mind that I'd like to have such a device in my own car, but only because I would like to be able to review my own driving, see how it looks/feels, and see what improvements I could try to make. With or without the support of dashcam material, I simply do not go around looking for faults in the driving of others. This appears to be an unusual stance, but there you go, that's just the way it is. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Astraist » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:50 pm

What's the other way around there?

If you toy with the idea of using a dashcam to review your own driving than yes, it is a good tool.

"other" drivers to me means clientele. To you it means the other drivers immediately around you. Obviously you don't go looking for problems in their driving, you look into the footage to look for (potentially) faults in your response to their (idiotic) driving...

Most advanced drivers have a higher level of awareness, so they don't need it quite as much, but with newbies coming to me (occasionaly) it's very telling.
Astraist

Postby paul adams » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Had one for 4 years now - excellent things to have, often used it to help clarify (in my mind at least) any driving situations I wanted to go over, such as if I had made an error or a situation, where I was not sure who was right/wrong...
paul adams

Return to Advanced Driving Forum