Indignant pedestrians

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby JamesH » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:45 pm

Use of the horn is one of the many topics frequently discussed on here.

When used to warn a pedestrian of your presence, accompanied by a smile and a raised hand, it seems there are two types of response.

The first is the "ooh my god I didn't look and you're there! Thanks for warning me! *jumping back*.

The second is "Grrr! You arrogant car driver, I'm a pedestrian I have right of way no matter what you're doing." *stops in middle of road*.

Unfortunately, it seems there is no way of anticipating which reaction you are going to get. I made a right turn today, from a major road into a side road. Saw a lady who had just stepped into the road as I began my turn. She hadn't looked or seen me, so I gave a quick toot. She jumped out of her skin and stopped where she was. As I passed, checking my mirrors, I saw her standing in the road with her hands on her hips, shouting and screaming.

My fault for reminding her she hadn't looked? Could have stopped and waited for her to cross?
JamesH

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:05 pm

JamesH wrote:The first is the "ooh my god I didn't look and you're there! Thanks for warning me! *jumping back*.

This is when you warn them with a little toot before they do something, and wave to thank them as they look your way.
JamesH wrote:The second is "Grrr! You arrogant car driver, I'm a pedestrian I have right of way no matter what you're doing." *stops in middle of road*.

This is when you use your horn after they have started doing something, i.e. sounding the horn of rebuke. See the difference?
JamesH wrote:I made a right turn today, from a major road into a side road. Saw a lady who had just stepped into the road as I began my turn. She hadn't looked or seen me, so I gave a quick toot.

Too late. You should have tooted before she was about to step into the road, giving her time to look about and make a good decision.

If she is already in the road, you should be giving way to her. See Highway Code rule 146.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:15 pm

Gareth wrote:
JamesH wrote:I made a right turn today, from a major road into a side road. Saw a lady who had just stepped into the road as I began my turn. She hadn't looked or seen me, so I gave a quick toot.

Too late. You should have tooted before she was about to step into the road, giving her time to look about and make a good decision.

If she is already in the road, you should be giving way to her. See Highway Code rule 146.

Quite right.

In London, however, all's fair in love and traffic. If by tooting to alert them to your presence*, you can fool them into thinking that it's not their priority and they yield, then you can proceed...

(* notice that tooting to intimidate another road user would be inconsiderate)
7db

Postby JamesH » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:14 pm

It certainly wasn't a rebuke. I guess that I failed to anticipate the fact she might walk out in front of me without looking.

Then again though, you can't toot every pedestrian walking up to cross a side road on the off-chance they won't look.
JamesH

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:36 pm

JamesH wrote:you can't toot every pedestrian walking up to cross a side road on the off-chance they won't look.

If you spot them in time, you tend to get a feeling for what they might do.

Using the horn is one of those things where, if you wait to see if you need it, its nearly always too late :roll:

That's why the very short toot followed up by making eye contact and giving a friendly wave works so well.

If you feel you're using the horn too often, then another strategy is to make sure you can stop whenever a pedestrian might be stepping into the road. This normally means travelling slower than most whenever there are a lot of pedestrians in the vicinity.

Either way, you may need to give more attention to pedestrians than you have been doing.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby James » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Unfortunatley pedestrians have right of way when on the road, and there's little else you can do about that... If she had started to cross as you say she had, it probably would have been better to give way and allow her to cross rather than overtake her mid crossing... I assume you had to move around her and use part of the offside lane to do this?

(Maybe she was an IAM examiner and wasn't best impressed, hence the hands on hips!!!!!)
James

Postby 7db » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:02 pm

James wrote:Unfortunatley pedestrians have right of way when on the road, and there's little else you can do about that...

Not always. It would help if everyone knew when they did or didn't have priority, and acted accordingly (that's the point of the whole priority protocol) but sadly pedestrians don't seem to think the HC applies to them enough to read it and understand it...
7db

Postby James » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:46 pm

7db wrote:
James wrote:Unfortunatley pedestrians have right of way when on the road, and there's little else you can do about that...

Not always. It would help if everyone knew when they did or didn't have priority, and acted accordingly (that's the point of the whole priority protocol) but sadly pedestrians don't seem to think the HC applies to them enough to read it and understand it...

If a pedestrian steps out or starts to cross a road as in the circumstances described, they have right of way.
James

Postby stephenperry » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:06 pm

had this exact same thing yesterday in a small village relatively near here popular with OAPs and tourists, old-ish man launched himself from the kerb between a line of parked cars and walked very slowly across the road, didn't appear infirm or inable, no white stick or sunglasses, a smile on his face, oblivious to the traffic bearing down in both directions, i slowed to a stop and tapped the horn, absolutely no effect - he still had a smug grin on his face, no acknowledgment that he was in the wrong.... :roll:

the guide dog that he should have had must have more sense and stopped at the kerb until it was clear :lol:
Last edited by stephenperry on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:09 pm

James wrote:
7db wrote:

If a pedestrian steps out or starts to cross a road as in the circumstances described, they have right of way.

yes, some of them abuse this and think that even if the laws of physics do apply to them and they get flattened by a 2-ton motor car never mind, there's always Claims Direct
stephenperry

Postby James » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:36 pm

Im not saying that they are correct, it really frustrates me awsell, but once out thats how it goes.
James

Postby stephenperry » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:42 pm

yes, i think they should introduce jaywalking as an offence in Britain
stephenperry

Postby JamesH » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:44 pm

The lady in question was crossing from my right to my left, as I entered the road. She had just stepped out from parked cars that went right round the corner. She was a step or to onto the other side of the road from me, so I stayed on my side of the road throughout.
JamesH

Postby stephenperry » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:02 pm

did she bother to look towards your direction before stepping onto the road while you were approaching or waiting to turn into the road with your indicator on?

was she making her way along the pavement where you could see her already or did she appear unexpectedly?
stephenperry

Postby JamesH » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 pm

Must admit I would have seen her approaching the junction if I looked earlier. There was also a bus off-loading passengers, a split zebra crossing that was stopping traffic both ways, and a few cyclists for good measure.

She definitely didn't look though.
JamesH

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum