The Magic Roundabout

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby stephenperry » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:20 pm

this looks like fun.... :shock:

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

my petty complaints about awkward traffic signs on roundabouts is really put into perspective :lol:
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby Johnnie » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:39 pm

There is another very similar to that in Hemel Hempstead, also known as the Magic Roundabout, but it doesn't have the islands between the roundabouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead)
Johnnie

Postby James » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Why did they not just create a 3 lane single roundabout, I know of many 6 exit roundabouts like this that are sucessful in application. Instead the cost of production, maintenance and also Im sure the RTC rate is well above what it should be. Who thinks of these things? The world really has gone f**** mad.
James

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:33 pm

James wrote:Why did they not just create a 3 lane single roundabout

I suspect a three lane large roundabout would encourage higher speeds around the roundabout, whereas a series of mini-roundabouts helps to keep traffic speed down to a more appropriate level.

Perhaps I am unusual in that I like these junctions, (although I've only driven the one in Hemel Hempstead).

I've just spent a few minutes finding out about them both, and it seems that they are a success in that traffic flow is better at busy times. Moreover they seem to be generally well liked by the locals, so perhaps they aren't as bad as a magic roundabout virgin would think.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:36 pm

James wrote:Who thinks of these things? The world really has gone f**** mad.

Just thought to add ... these have been in existence since well before you were born, so perhaps they work better than you suppose :lol:
Gareth

Postby MGF » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:46 pm

The I idea is to allow traffic to go both ways round the main roundabout.

Apparently improves traffic flow although without the islands could be a bit risky.

There's one in Benfleet Essex although this is a slight variation as it is a series of joined up roundabouts rather than minis in a main one. I suppose the latter is used where space is limited although it must be disorientating.

Found a picture of the Swindon one.

14 serious accidents in 32 years doesn't sound too bad. Apparently most of these were cyclists and a new cycle track has been built to solve this problem.

And yes this one is older than James!

Do you think they name the minis after characters from the original Magic Roundabout?
MGF

Postby James » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:35 pm

Well Im no expert on road layout and statistics, I just like the driving side of things. The picture does make the roundabout look a lot more sober than the diagram. Would be fun to give commentary going round and round it... planning to stop looking to go, planning to stop looking to go, planning to......
James

Postby 7db » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:26 pm

I've driven this one, working in Swindon, the one in Hemel (sligtly more organised, less paint) and the half-arsed attempt at one in High Wycombe. I think they work well, provided the exits are well signed on approach (like all roundabouts) so that you know whether you are coming off at the second or the third roundabout...
7db

Postby TripleS » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:39 am

I went round the Swindon one last year, but I found it very confusing. It is only now, looking at the diagram, that I see that the inboard traffic flow is anti-clockwise and the outer traffic flow is clockwise. It all looks overly complicated to me and I would have preferred a normal large RB, but the locals reckoned it was a very successful scheme.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Angus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:06 pm

I know of two similar to this in Essex - one on the A13/A130 junction near Canvey Island and the other here in Colchester. The Colchester one is in some of the DOT test routes.

Before the A12 Colchester bypass was built there was a real magic roundabout - each weekend the traffic "engineers" would re-arrange a load of old tyres to amend traffic flow, so on Monday morning no-one knew what to expect. I seem to recall that whoever did the Radio 1 breakfast show then lived in Suffolk and most of his Monday show involved him moaning about whatever they'd done. This was around 1975-80
Angus

Postby keats52 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:58 am

stephenperry wrote:this looks like fun.... :shock:

my petty complaints about awkward traffic signs on roundabouts is really put into perspective :lol:

I want to drive to Swindon just to drive this roundabout, it looks brilliant.
keats52

Postby Big Err » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:45 am

Many of these 'wonderful' things are designed to maximise traffic capacity, and there are many new junction designs being introduced for this reason(many from designs used in the USA).

An absolute nightmare for doing stage 1 and 2 road safety audits on!

Eric.
Big Err

Postby Big Err » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:45 am

Many of these 'wonderful' things are designed to maximise traffic capacity, and there are many new junction designs being introduced for this reason(many from designs used in the USA).

An absolute nightmare for doing stage 1 and 2 road safety audits on!

Eric.
Big Err

Postby NalaGee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:18 am

stephenperry wrote:this looks like fun.... :shock:

Where and when do Drivers consider using Indicators to signal
their point of exit???
NalaGee

Postby Gareth » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:36 am

NalaGee wrote:Where and when do Drivers consider using Indicators to signal their point of exit???

The indicators are on almost all the time; at each mini-roundabout you are going either left or right, and although it is normally possible for other drivers to infer this from your choice of lane, it is better to lend emphasis to your chosen route.
Gareth

Return to Advanced Driving Forum