Highway Code "Stopping Distances"

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby clear99 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi All

Do you think it is time we revised the highway code "stopping distances? I feel they should revise the distances in terms of the cars ability, and place more emphasis on reaction times, and maybe how modern day distractions can impact on distances.

I think this will create much more credibility among UK motorists, who many currently simply laugh it off as "being totally outdated" and pay no attention to any of it.

Remember Top Gear making a total mockery of it when a car halved the distance?? Lets face it, cars of the 60's are utter rubbish in terms of braking power compared to todays machinery..And a car from the 60's is what was used to set this distance (unless I am wrong?)

Changing the stopping distances would no doubt create a huge amount of press interest, the powers that be could then use this time in the spot light to drive home the REAL risks of excessive speed, and why being aware of stopping distances are of such vital importance...
clear99

Postby waremark » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:42 pm

I think the numbers used are unimportant. No normal people remember them. (Yes, I know some of us do, I did say normal people! ). Still fewer people can picture the distances on the road.

Similarly, I don't think normal people are aware that the braking distances are based on a Ford Anglia.

However, I think it is an interesting suggestion that coming up with new numbers could get media attention for the issue which could be used to spread the message of the need to be able to stop in the distance ....
waremark

Postby tonyh » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi , I realise the last last time I posted was in 2007 :( but I feel its time to return.
Stopping distances is a real tricky one as a lot depends on condition of vehicle, tyres etc and of course how quickly the driver reacts.
modern cars with powerful brakes can undoubtably stop quicker than a ford anglia ( I had one, a 1200 super) , not many people even realise what the stopping distances are or indeed what seperation they need from the car in front. The 2 second rule is used by advanced drivers is a good rule of thumb as that increases as the speed increases but as most incidents occur in urban 30 mph speed limits and as most drivers are more concerned about their mobile phone conversations I really do think we should forget about stopping distances all together and focus on driver awareness and observation skills.
tonyh

Postby waremark » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:07 am

Welcome back Tony. You will have seen that this forum is no longer very active. Most the the more active participants have continued their discussions in a new forum with a slightly different name.
waremark

Postby Horse » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:19 pm

I drop in every few weeks - but years? Blimey.

Anyway.

Stopping is, of course, only the second part of the story. It's the thinking distance, especially to unaware driver not reacting to an unexpected hazard, which extends the distance.

That can, worst case, be measured in seconds.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:07 am

Sure braking distances can often be beaten in modern cars but the Highway Code thinking distance is based on reacting in 0.7 seconds...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't achieve that reliably...delay your reaction by half a second and the overall stopping distance lengthens considerably.

I like the comparisons of a 2 identical cars one doing 70 and the other 100mph...in the distance the slower car comes to a stop, the latter has only lost 30mph...makes you think...and that's physics - it has nothing to do with what car you drive.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby andypoulton » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:35 am

Just to add my bit as it is my favourite subject.

Roadcraft states there are 5 variations of the thinking distance and another 5 variations for the stopping distance [therefor over 25 variations between drivers and cars]

I have and keep a list of many cars braking distances from 60 mph.
Roughly from memory at the top were mercs Bm's Porsches lexus etc [half highway code!! BRILLIANT]
At the bottom were the old model Dacia [not the new Renno based one] and a Fiat.

Nearly TWICE highway code figures SO if you are in your top of the range motor and being followed by the latter.

THEIR stopping distance includes your car!! :cry: :evil:

Cheers Andy
Its not what you drive but the way that you drive it.
Its not how fast you drive but how you drive fast.

IF IN DOUBT---FLAT OUT
andypoulton

Return to Advanced Driving Forum