How hard is it to burn a set of tyres?!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jont » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:16 pm

nuster100 wrote:The focus ST you mention is FWD though, so in order to get that sideways, you will need the scandinavian flick with lift-off overstear.

Funny, I've managed to get plenty of FWD cars sideways without flicking them (or resorting to lift off oversteer). I would have been using controls other than just steering and throttle at the time though ;)

If you're borrowing a new car, I hope you've got some way of turning off traction control, ESP etc, and ABS systems tend to get upset if you handbrake turn (something to do with wheels being locked but no pressure in the hydraulic system I gues). I usually take the fuse out when I've autotested cars with ABS.
jont

Postby theyoungen » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I imagine it'll depend on the car as to how easy it is to turn of the 'driver aids'. I can't decide whether or not I'm in favour of them remaining on, but reduced when the switch is set to 'Off' on road cars. I suppose I would only turn them off if I had good reason to, wheras some chav who's watched too much Top Gear would leave them off all the time a slide into things!

I'm suprised they haven't thought of a way to stop the cars working without the safety-feature fuses in...

I've requested a list of cars, and the model we end up with will depend on which is available soonest. On that list are a range of Alfas (all V6s and some with 4WD), Westfields, Focus ST, some Renaultsports & a Ferrari 430. The list isn't entirely random, but I won't go into why those particular cars are on it.

So as you can see, we have the full range of different drives (FWD, RWD & 4WD). Also the Ferrari (and possibly the Westfields, but I'm not sure) don't have interchangeable front and rear tyres which sadly makes swapping front and back impossible.

The airfield we've arranged to use is fairly course tarmac. There's a bit of hard standing next to it and I'm not sure what that's surfaced with. Might be concrete, but I think it's the same stuff as the runway.

Thanks for all your help guys!!
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

www.staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
theyoungen

Postby nuster100 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:51 am

jont wrote:Funny, I've managed to get plenty of FWD cars sideways without flicking them (or resorting to lift off oversteer). I would have been using controls other than just steering and throttle at the time though ;)

Yeah, but you need somthing more interesting that 180 degree handbrake turns if your going "Top Gear" style. However if you insist on using the handbrake, try grabbing reverse instead of first as the car is swinging round. Then a little J-Turn to finish off.

Takes practice, but hey you have a runway to yourself and it isnt your car.

jont wrote:If you're borrowing a new car, I hope you've got some way of turning off traction control, ESP etc, and ABS systems tend to get upset if you handbrake turn (something to do with wheels being locked but no pressure in the hydraulic system I gues). I usually take the fuse out when I've autotested cars with ABS.

You may end up having to remove the fuse. Some cars now (particulaly mercedes) wont disengage the traction control and esp fully even when you use the button to switch it off. Having said that, if the car is that clever it will probably all be running through the onboard computer and no single fuse will knock it out.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum