Roundabout Lane Cutting

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby nuster100 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:03 pm

I was wondering what people thoughts are about cutting lanes on an empty roundabout (while no other road users are present).

I find myself doing it when going straight on at an empty roundabout. Is this a good/bad thing?

Any comments would be appreciated

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby James » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:05 pm

Its great. Don't worry about it. Just make sure it is totally clear and that you are travelling at a speed where you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear. And please don't forget MIRRORS. (Bikes)
James

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:55 am

James wrote:Bikes

Can I just highlight that one word, please?

BIKES are easy to miss visually, less so physically :(

I've lost count of the times some *ahem* gentleman or lady in a car has decided that my lane should be donated to them with scarcely enough space to avoid a colision. I have even had one drive into my path so suddenly on a two-lane roundabout that I did actually leave a black rubber smear on their rear quarter from my front tyre (luck more than skill kept me upright that time)

I have to say that roundabouts seem to be by far the most common place for an ill-advised cut-in.

I know people on this forum will generally be the kind of people who actually *can* see a bike, but it really bears mentioning that bikes are easier to overlook than you think, sadly.

I have been thinking about various ideas to make myself more noticeable, including chosing lower gears so I make more noise, using full beam headlights in daylight etc. and about positioning myself relative to cars in other lanes such than when (rather than if!) I have to share my lane, I'm a little better placed to do so without grinding/crunching noises.

Any suggestions, car drivers? (or other bike riders, for that matter :-D)

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby christopherwk » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:04 am

I'm a little concerned about straightening roundabouts, that if a police officer sees you, could you be done for dangerous driving/driving without due care?

The roundabouts on the A316 in SW London are a good example. You need to be careful though and double check mirrors and blind spots.
christopherwk

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:14 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:I've lost count of the times some *ahem* gentleman or lady in a car has decided that my lane should be donated to them with scarcely enough space to avoid a colision.
SammyTheSnake wrote:I have been thinking about various ideas to make myself more noticeable, including chosing lower gears so I make more noise, using full beam headlights in daylight etc. and about positioning

I think this points to the wisdom of trying to make sure you are not parallel to another vehicle when entering or passing through roundabouts. Of course this means not using the roundabout to get in an easy overtake.

If this is good advice to car drivers, it must be doubly so for bike riders.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:57 am

christopherwk wrote:I'm a little concerned about straightening roundabouts, that if a police officer sees you, could you be done for dangerous driving/driving without due care?

The roundabouts on the A316 in SW London are a good example. You need to be careful though and double check mirrors and blind spots.

So long as it is done smoothly, well away from other road users, and at a not excessive speed, I would hope that a police officer would be unconcerned. Going round with a lot of tyre squeal would be likely to attract unfavourable attention though.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:59 am

TripleS wrote:
christopherwk wrote:I'm a little concerned about straightening roundabouts, that if a police officer sees you, could you be done for dangerous driving/driving without due care?

So long as it is done smoothly, well away from other road users, and at a not excessive speed, I would hope that a police officer would be unconcerned. Going round with a lot of tyre squeal would be likely to attract unfavourable attention though.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I agree. 8)
James

Postby Jack Russell » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:14 pm

On a slightly different note.

To go straight over (enter 1 and leave 3 of a 4 exited roundabout) I generally take the nearside lane or position if no markings, especially if there are other users on or entering it. However what I often find happens is that when I go straight over in a nearside position is that any car waiting to enter from 2 starts to pull out in to my path. This is because they assume, from my nearside position, I am leaving at 2 when my course is for 3.

What's happening is that drivers in general have a sloppy attitude to positioning and hence expect you to be as sloppy and straighten a roundabout and if you don't you surprise them with a nearside position.

Of course if the roundabout is empty it’s a different situation.

Any advise?
:?
Jack Russell

Postby James » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:29 pm

Jack Russell wrote:On a slightly different note.

To go straight over (enter 1 and leave 3 of a 4 exited roundabout) I generally take the nearside lane or position if no markings, especially if there are other users on or entering it. However what I often find happens is that when I go straight over in a nearside position is that any car waiting to enter from 2 starts to pull out in to my path. This is because they assume, from my nearside position, I am leaving at 2 when my course is for 3.

What's happening is that drivers in general have a sloppy attitude to positioning and hence expect you to be as sloppy and straighten a roundabout and if you don't you surprise them with a nearside position.

Any advise?

Am I misunderstanding you? For exits 1 or 2, or an exit up to and including a 12 o'clock you should be in the nearside lane anyway (outer circle of roundabout). Exits 3 + or beyond 12 o'clock should be approached from the offside (or inner circle of roundabout).

Why then would you take an outer line to a 3rd exit, If I was waiting and saw you taking that line with 2 exits between us I too would pull out in front of you (well probably not but you get my drift).
James

Postby PeteG » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:54 pm

James wrote:
Jack Russell wrote:On a slightly different note.

Any advise?

Am I misunderstanding you? For exits 1 or 2, or an exit up to and including a 12 o'clock you should be in the nearside lane anyway (outer circle of roundabout). Exits 3 + or beyond 12 o'clock should be approached from the offside (or inner circle of roundabout).

Why then would you take an outer line to a 3rd exit, If I was waiting and saw you taking that line with 2 exits between us I too would pull out in front of you (well probably not but you get my drift).

I think you are misunderstanding him. He's not taking the third exit after his entry, he's taking the second. Enters roundabout via 1, exit 2 is at 9'o'clock, exit 3 is at 12.

It is a common problem here too, there's a couple of roundabouts where lanes and traffic dictate you must swing quite far to the left - people think that the lack of a signal means that you are in fact leaving at that exit anyway.
PeteG

Postby James » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:57 pm

OK, think I see it now, thanks...
James

Postby Jack Russell » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:49 pm

PG thanks for clearing that up.

Am I calling the exits by the wrong terminology? What is the correct terminology?

Yes what I was trying to say is exactly what PG pointed out.

It is a common problem here too, there's a couple of roundabouts where lanes and traffic dictate you must swing quite far to the left - people think that the lack of a signal means that you are in fact leaving at that exit anyway

So how would a more advanced driver handle this situation? Would taking a more dominant position be better? Like being as close to the 'inner circle' as possible with out actually being in it?
Jack Russell

Postby James » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:56 pm

Jack Russell wrote:PG thanks for clearing that up.

Am I calling the exits by the wrong terminology? What is the correct terminology?

Yes what I was trying to say is exactly what PG pointed out.

It is a common problem here too, there's a couple of roundabouts where lanes and traffic dictate you must swing quite far to the left - people think that the lack of a signal means that you are in fact leaving at that exit anyway

So how would a more advanced driver handle this situation? Would taking a more dominant position be better? Like being as close to the 'inner circle' as possible with out actually being in it?

Sometimes positioning like this can help yes. At the end of the day, when traffic is present abide by Highway Code regulations. If positioning can be to your advantage then utilise it, and also indicate where necessary. If the junction is that bad that it is a persistant problem, give an initial and very brief right indicator, looking for a reaction from the lead vehicles, and then change this to a left indicator once level with them. If you are going to indicate right initially, stay well to the outer circle, that way your signal runs less risk of being mis interpreted.
James

Postby PeteG » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Jack Russell wrote:So how would a more advanced driver handle this situation? Would taking a more dominant position be better? Like being as close to the 'inner circle' as possible with out actually being in it?

That's exactly what I've been taught to do - as far as possible, avoid being alongside another vehicle, then hug the white line while going round in the left-hand lane.
PeteG

Return to Advanced Driving Forum