Motorways get extra lane - on the cheap

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:14 am

James wrote:
Times wrote:
Sensors under the road surface will detect when congestion is building up and send a message to the agency’s control centre.

So they are still going to have to dig up the road anyway?

I thought a lot of this was already in place - the sensors run the MIDAS system (motorway incident detection and automatic signalling) which controls advisory speed limits already.
crr003

Postby Renny » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:24 am

Having looked at the animated guide, it still scares me.

What about all the numpties that have no lane discipline other than to sit in the middle lane at all times?, They will not know where to go, Lane 1 or Lane 2 :? .

The speed merchants who will always be trying to "make progress" no matter what, will be diving down into the additional running lane (hard shoulder) and will become so used to that that they will develop the "habit" of using the hard shoulder no matter what, especially when joining/leaving the motorway. Trucks and others who do not move over promptly will find themselves being undertaken by those who will run in the additional running lane as it will probably be less densely occupied.

Frightening :shock:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Big Err » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:13 pm

James wrote:
Times wrote:
Sensors under the road surface will detect when congestion is building up and send a message to the agency’s control centre.

So they are still going to have to dig up the road anyway?

Not major work, the sensors are usually detection loops that are laid using a saw cut, laying wires within the cuts then sealing the surface with bitumen. The kind of things you see on the approach to traffic light controlled junctions and at various points across the road network.

Eric
Big Err

Postby MGF » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:02 pm

Renny wrote:Having looked at the animated guide, it still scares me.

What about all the numpties that have no lane discipline other than to sit in the middle lane at all times?, They will not know where to go, Lane 1 or Lane 2 :? .

The speed merchants who will always be trying to "make progress" no matter what, will be diving down into the additional running lane (hard shoulder) and will become so used to that that they will develop the "habit" of using the hard shoulder no matter what, especially when joining/leaving the motorway. Trucks and others who do not move over promptly will find themselves being undertaken by those who will run in the additional running lane as it will probably be less densely occupied.

Frightening :shock:

But when the HS is in use there will be a fixed limit for all four lanes and there are SPECS cameras on all the overhead gantries which will also have red crosses above them.

I have not driven on the M42 in peak periods but the feedback is good from those who have.
MGF

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:11 am

Big Err wrote:Not major work, the sensors are usually detection loops that are laid using a saw cut, laying wires within the cuts then sealing the surface with bitumen. The kind of things you see on the approach to traffic light controlled junctions and at various points across the road network.
Eric

You mean like the ones which I regularly see with all their wires hanging out and broken all over the A45 as it goes through coventry? :?

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum