'Corner cutters'

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Jon M » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:31 pm

One of the few things that still leave me a bit shaken up through driving is these people that decide to share a lane with you whilst coming towards you on a left hand bend. I try to take up a position towards the centre line for visibility, and I do this as early as I can so people can see me. Sometimes I still find myself having to abandon that position because somebody oncoming is several inches over the centre line! This morning on a fairly narrow, twisty road, a friendly BMW driver was driving a good 10 inches over the line coming towards me, and maintained this position all the way past me. I moved over close to the kerb and slowed down, I really didn't think there was room for both of us to be honest and I'm surprised there wasn't some contact!

I anticipate this behaviour every time I deal with a low-visibility left hand bend, particularly the road mentioned as I drive it daily and there always seem to be people driving on or over the centre line. Normally there is room for us to pass safely although I don't particularly like it, occasionally though I just really think there isn't room, like this morning! I would appreciate any advice on how the rest of you avoid and/or negotiate this hazard when faced with it. Cheers,

Jon
Jon M

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:25 pm

As you did, you move towards the line always being aware that you may need to move back if some muppet coming the other way doesn't know how to corner.

I use the same theory that I use when considering crossing the white line, " cross the line to keep a view you already have, not to get one".

Ther was absolutely no need to mention the make of car :D
Nigel

Postby MikeB » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:23 pm

Jon,
If you drive this road daily and find the same problem often then maybe discretion should be the better part of valour. I mean, sometimes we have to sacrifice position for safety, the slower the corner the less time you will have to alter your course. Remember you don't want to have an early view of the car that is going to hit you. Flexibility is a good watchword when driving. Link speed to vision and position for a better view only if safe to do so.

Cheers,
MikeB.
MikeB Mid-Cheshire
MikeB

Postby Jon M » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:56 pm

Thanks for the advice, no offence meant to BMW drivers Nigel (although I did wonder if he'd misunderstood the concept of the 'BMW Lane' :) )

As you suggest I am always prepared to move over for the 'muppets' who can't go round bends, this one particularly worried me though as there really didn't seem to be room! Is there anything one can do in that sort of situation where you're being squeezed into a space that is far too small for comfort?

MikeB, I did wonder if I should stop trying so hard for a good position on that particular road, but I thought that if the oncoming traffic can see me earlier then at least they have a good chance to move over, and I have somewhere to go if they don't.

The road I mentioned is actually so narrow in places that you don't have much of a choice of position if you stay between the centre line and the side marker. I guess my real question is as above - what do you do about the loonies that happily straighten out a blind corner leaving just enough, or not enough room for an oncoming car?
Jon M

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:25 pm

MikeB wrote:Jon,
If you drive this road daily and find the same problem often then maybe discretion should be the better part of valour. I mean, sometimes we have to sacrifice position for safety, the slower the corner the less time you will have to alter your course. Remember you don't want to have an early view of the car that is going to hit you. Flexibility is a good watchword when driving. Link speed to vision and position for a better view only if safe to do so.

Cheers,
MikeB.

Good explaination.....I like it... :D
Roadcraft

Return to Advanced Driving Forum