Overtake on left? - your votes please!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:06 am

I propose amending the highway code to allow overtaking routinely on the left on dual carriageways and motorways. It seems to work in the U.S. and stops the ridiculous lane 3 bunching you get sometimes while L2 is relatively empty.

Anyone agree/disagree (or just bored by the whole subject!).

Martin - Bristol IAM Group Observer
martine

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:10 am

To be honest i think the HC is about right on this topic, but if you can change the HC on some other topics i might be interested :)
Rick

Postby martine » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:14 am

Rick wrote:To be honest i think the HC is about right on this topic, but if you can change the HC on some other topics i might be interested :)

Yes of course...I have infinite power to make widespread changes to the HC (on this forum!)...what is it you so desire?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:21 am

Now that's all my Xmas's come at once, unfortunately my Pizza is ready now so i will elaborate further tomorrow. In fact i think this would be a good topic to start.. "What would you change in the Highway Code" As it's cooling i'll post that!
Rick

Postby vonhosen » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:35 am

I prefer our system to the US personally & as far as I'm concerned the highway code has it about right.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby PeterE » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:37 am

I would change Rule 145 to make it clear this applied to all vehicles, not just "large or slow-moving" ones:

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Jez » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:00 pm

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

It's a bit vague, isn't it? "If necessary" is fairly subjective. I think I read that in the US, or at least in certain states, if a slow vehicle is being followed by more than 6 vehicles, it is obliged by law to pull over at the next safe opportunity to allow them to pass.
Jez

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:37 pm

I think the highway cose is far too vague on most things.

But....we can't even get people to read the dumbed down version that is supplied
Nigel

Postby crr003 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:47 am

martine wrote:I propose amending the highway code to allow overtaking routinely on the left on dual carriageways and motorways. It seems to work in the U.S. and stops the ridiculous lane 3 bunching you get sometimes while L2 is relatively empty.

Anyone agree/disagree (or just bored by the whole subject!).

Martin - Bristol IAM Group Observer

Great idea - and you'd also accept the 55mph speed limit that goes with it?

I thought not......... :cry: :wink:

I'll have a google but I didn't think overtaking on the right was actually legal in the US - just one of these things that can't be properly enforced.
crr003

Postby martine » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:52 am

55 is only on some freeways...many are higher (65/70) and you can still legally pass on the right (and yes my understanding is, it is the law).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby crr003 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:08 pm

martine wrote:

55 is only on some freeways...many are higher (65/70) and you can still legally pass on the right (and yes my understanding is, it is the law).

California Rules -

"Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving. To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane. When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane."

So, MLOC drivers are actually expected in CA. Another good reason to live in UK!
crr003

Postby jibberjabber25 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:40 pm

MLOC? Sorry too many abbreviations here, I just can't get the hang of them. :(
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby crr003 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:43 pm

jibberjabber25 wrote:MLOC? Sorry too many abbreviations here, I just can't get the hang of them. :(

Middle Lane Owners Club - the people who sit in lane 2 for no apparent reason.
crr003

Postby martine » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:46 pm

California Rules -
"Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving. To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane. When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane."

Sounds pretty good to me. Of course if it were ever changed in this country it would be nightmare until everyone was consistently shoulder checking on the left before moving - \I guess for that reason alone it would never happen...shame.
martine

Postby martine » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:53 pm

Middle Lane Owners Club - the people who sit in lane 2 for no apparent reason.

That sort of implies they do have a reason! I often wonder what makes them do it...is it lack of knowledge / can't be bothered / think it's safer or what?

I once got a message flashed at me by a police car to 'use left lane unless overtaking' while I was in L2. There was another vehicle a little distance ahead and it seemed pointless to move to L1 and back out again but that's what they wanted. This was before I was in the IAM so perhaps the gap was too big....can't remember now but I remember being impressed by the flashy sign!
martine

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum