Overtake on left? - your votes please!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jibberjabber25 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:26 pm

crr003 wrote:
jibberjabber25 wrote:MLOC? Sorry too many abbreviations here, I just can't get the hang of them. :(

Middle Lane Owners Club - the people who sit in lane 2 for no apparent reason.

Oh, thank you crr003.

I'm a member of MLOC then...

But only when the left lane is for LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY! :lol: :lol: :lol:
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby crr003 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:37 pm

martine wrote:
Middle Lane Owners Club - the people who sit in lane 2 for no apparent reason.

That sort of implies they do have a reason! I often wonder what makes them do it...is it lack of knowledge / can't be bothered / think it's safer or what?

One reason I've heard, in wooded areas, is that driving in lane 2 gives you more time to react if a deer comes out of the undergrowth.

Seriously. But the chances of this are rare - about the same as having to use the hard shoulder to join a motorway :wink: 8)

Personally I drive on the left (lane 1) and use that black round thingy sticking out of the dashboard to move me around slower vehicles most of the time.

Obviously if there's nothing behind me I would be affecting, and I was closing on a slower vehicle in lane 1, I'd stay out in lane 2.

IAM types sometimes mention a 10 second rule - if you would be back in lane 1 for 10 seconds or more before moving out again, think about it.

Other reasons they sit in 2? Lane 1 is for lorries. Lane 1 is 50 mph, 2 is 60 and 3 is for speed freaks up at 70.
crr003

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum