User serviceable parts

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:14 pm

Is there anything in law which states that vehicle headlight bulbs should be user replaceable?

The reason being, I can't for the life of me get the near side headlight bulb out of it's socket so I can replace it. From my perspective, it damn well is not user serviceable.

Now...I'm not a large guy and I'v got rather girlie small hands, I can't get my hand in the gap to unclip the bulb from it's holder and remove the electrical fitting.

I'v got no choice now but to take it to a VX garage that will no doubt charge me 30 quid to replace a 20p bulb.

bu**er.
Darren

Postby Nigel » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:33 pm

You still driving a vectra Darren ?
Nigel

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:39 pm

Yes, but we'll see how long for.

It now has 111,xxx miles on it. MOT'd and serviced for the next 12 months, can go to a good owner..it's been looked after. All motorway miles...

Thinking of changing it either for a Merc C class or Jag X type.
Darren

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:16 am

Darren wrote:Yes, but we'll see how long for.

It now has 111,xxx miles on it. MOT'd and serviced for the next 12 months, can go to a good owner..it's been looked after. All motorway miles...

Have a look at Audi..... 8)
Roadcraft

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:18 am

This place is superb...and always has decent cars...and the aftersales service is the best I've ever found...

http://taillights.net/
Roadcraft

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:04 pm

Darren

If your vectra is the same as mine (1999, 1.8 16 valve), on the nearside, between the battery and headlampd is a box with relay modules in, this just lifts off its bracket, complete, the loom moves with it, you can then change the bulb as easily as the offside.

I hope that helps
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:41 pm

Safety1st wrote:
Darren wrote:Yes, but we'll see how long for.

Have a look at Audi..... 8)

Audi seems a strange choice when he has picked rwd cars !
Nigel

Return to Advanced Driving Forum