Further Advanced Driving

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MikeG » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:57 pm

Just been out for two days Advanced Tuition. Although I am a Observer for our local group (IAM) I decided to go up a few rungs on the ladder and learn some of the finer points of Advanced Driving.
First day was focused on positioning for overtakes and going out on the offside for a 'look' and waterskiing as my instructor calls it (holding position, neither dropping back or closing on the vehicle in front, then moving offside to get a view then back in again). Made some good progress on the roads of North Yorkshire. One thing soon became apparent, my steering. I always thought I had pull/push licked but it was soon pointed out that I was doing it wrong ...more like 50p ie., not as smooth as it should be, so we worked on that for a while. Now I've got that sussed, that will benefit my associates.
Second day was around the roads in Derbyshire, some really challenging bends learning how to brake and balance the car, this is where my newly improved steering came into play. At the end of the two sessions I felt that I had polished up my driving to a new level, but there is still a way to go before I will be really 'Advanced'. One little gem I picked up..... when preparing to move off after being stationary in traffic,... 1st gear= check n/side mirror... h/brake off=check o/side mirror.
Many thanks go to our good friend.........Safety1st
MikeG

Postby wenlocksimon » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:51 pm

For Christmas, I have asked the good lady for 2 prezzies:-

1. A track day tuition with The Stig

2. A day out with Safety1st

In the hope that both will cover all of my driving aspirations. :D

S
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
wenlocksimon

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:42 pm

I'm looking forward to it.... :)
Roadcraft

Postby MikeG » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:16 pm

Whilst I can't vouch for no.1 on your Chrimbo List I can definately say that you will enjoy no.2 :wink:

Mike
MikeG

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks for those kind words Mike...

Our sessions are going very well...and (as you know yourself)...you are improving with every day out...

I think what's especially nice is the realisation that after many years of driving, one can still improve and learn more...

it's great...isn't it..? :)
Roadcraft

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:37 pm

Just to expand on what Mike said about pull/push steering...

The key to the practise is to use 'maximum' distance on the wheel..

So the left hand uses from 12 o clock anti-clockwise to 6 o clock...and the right hand 12 o clock, clockwise to 6 o clock..

That way...the whole circumference of the wheel is used....so unless (for example on a left hand bend)...the left hand reaches the bottom...the right hand simply slides down 'mirroriing' the left...

If the bend is tight enough so that the left hand reaches 7 o clock/6 o clock...only then does the right hand begin to PUSH up from 6 o clock, through 5, 4 3 o clock etc.....and so on and so forth...

It means that steering looks smoother to the passengers...IS smoother to the car...and in fact will mean fast bends can be negotiated quicker and safer....which is both satisfying and sensible..
Roadcraft

Postby MikeG » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:24 pm

I think what's especially nice is the realisation that after many years of driving, one can still improve and learn more...
it's great...isn't it..? (Safety1st)

I think for anyone who really enjoys their driving, and takes it seriously, then it's a 'must' do thing. I always thought I was a reasonable driver, probably most people do, but your only learning from your own personal experiences. This is why I decided to do IAM, and then become an observer......learnt quite a lot from doing that and thought that would be the end, but no, then started having some tuition with a pro and you go onto a whole new level. It's not just the technical stuff either, you pick up some really useful simple little tips and tricks, and it's worth it just to listen to a commentary from a serving T/O.
So I would say... Yeah it is Great,.... and urge anyone thinking about taking any Advanced Tuition to go on and have a go.

Mike
MikeG

Return to Advanced Driving Forum