Blue Lights

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby redpenben » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:20 pm

Could anyone enlighten me, on how the law stands on these blue led's
which are appearing on more & more vehicles. The other night a car parked across from me in a car park, at the back of his interior mirror was one of these lights, which was moving from side to side giving a strobe effect on the dashboard. From a distance this could easily be mistaken for a emergency vehicle.

Regards redpenben.
redpenben

Postby vonhosen » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:36 pm

The ones that don't move or flash, such as screen wash jet ones are not illegal.

The ones attached to tyre valves OR move as in the case you are talking about are illegal under Reg 12(1) The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989

12(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle to which, or to any load or equipment of which, there is fitted a lamp, reflector or marking which is capable of being moved by swivelling, deflecting or otherwise while the vehicle is in motion.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Starfighter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:04 pm

This sounds as if it is likely to cause confusion on the road, especially at night or in the rain. It makes you wonder what the owner's motivation was for fitting it?

My feeling is that it is about time that the lighting regs were updated and made to indicate what types of lighting was appropriate for a vehicle. The onus would then be on the owner to ensure that all lights were fitted and used as per the regulations. This would take away the "there's no law agaist it" excuss when this typ eof issue was not envisaged when the law went through.

Jeff
IAM Observer, RoADA Gold & Diploma
Starfighter

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:52 pm

Starfighter wrote:My feeling is that it is about time that the lighting regs were updated and made to indicate what types of lighting was appropriate for a vehicle. The onus would then be on the owner to ensure that all lights were fitted and used as per the regulations. This would take away the "there's no law agaist it" excuss when this typ eof issue was not envisaged when the law went through.
Jeff

Absolutely Jeff..

The regulations were written when common sense was rife. Unfortunately, the law and the regulations have been superceded by twoddlebrains than now occupy road space...... :evil:

I mean...who in their right mind would want to light up the road underneath their vehicle with strip lighting... :?

If only these muppets spent a little of their money on advanced training to better their skills.....I wouldn't mind so much...

Well, probably I would...but it would sit better with me..
Roadcraft

Postby AdamW » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:31 am

Didn't you know these lights make you instantly more attractive to the opposite sex. :wink:
AdamW

Postby jibberjabber25 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:18 pm

Which opposite sex would it be that you're trying to attract with those lights? Cows or Sows? :lol:
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby AdamW » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:28 pm

jibberjabber25 wrote:Cows or Sows? :lol:

Which ever will have them. :wink: :lol:
AdamW

Postby Orlando » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:29 pm

AdamW wrote:Didn't you know these lights make you instantly more attractive to the opposite sex. :wink:

Or add at least 25bhp to their puny engines. :lol:
Orlando

Postby AdamW » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:59 pm

Orlando wrote:
AdamW wrote:Didn't you know these lights make you instantly more attractive to the opposite sex. :wink:

Or add at least 25bhp to their puny engines. :lol:

That's doubled it's power then. :lol:
AdamW

Postby Starfighter » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:43 pm

Slightly off topic but I saw a British registered car at this years Le Mans 24 hour race with a full set of static blue neons on the washer jets, front grill and flooding the road under the car down both sides. The car was being driven with due respect for a large number of fairly drunk race fans at the side of the road positioned close to the centre line and at a quite low speed and the diver had both hands on the wheel.

The car in question :?: A Rolls Royce Silver Ghost :!:
IAM Observer, RoADA Gold & Diploma
Starfighter

Return to Advanced Driving Forum