Track day's

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Rik » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:48 pm

I've been riding now for about 5 years, did the direct access route and more recently passed the IAM test. I'm now looking into trying out a track day. :P

Has anyone got any advice on which (UK) locations to attend or avoid for a first timer?
or any good or bad experiences to share :?:

Thanks
Rik

Postby hardboiled » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:31 am

Hi Rik

I've been meaning to do a bike track day for a few year now but haven't got around to it. I knew that I wanted some decent instruction to begin with but a lot of track days for bikes are just cheap and cheerful and a bit of a free for all as far as I can tell. The opposite end of the spectrum appeared to be something like the Haslam sessions at Donnington. Considerably more expensive but good level of tuition and using their bikes.

After doing a session on the road in the car with a Police car/bike instructor he recommended www.rapidtraining.co.uk. They apparently offer a good level of instruction for beginners and also have some very skilled riders for the more serious requiring instruction.

So after umming and ah-ing for a couple of months now I've finally got around to booking a day at Cadwell park with Rapid Training. It's a long way off but I'm looking forward to it already.

Phil
hardboiled

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:52 pm

Cadwell is a great track but can be a little tricky for a first timer. I always struggled with the gooseneck myself. The main thing is to start in the novice and see how you get on (that is if you are doing a track day on your own bike with different groups) Lots of supposedly quick road riders put themselves in the fast group.. when i actual fact they should be in novice or at most intermediate. It can be very daunting if you are in a group that is way too fast for you. Just take it easy, learn the track and enjoy it.. it's great fun :twisted:
Rick

Postby 7db » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:26 pm

Who are you out with from Rapidtraining?
7db

Postby hardboiled » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:56 pm

I take it from their info on their trackdays that there will be a few instructors out there if you want to use them - don't think it specifically says who will be out when though. Being a novice on a bike on track I'll certainly be making use of them.

I've been to Cadwell before in the car so at least I know what I'm letting myself in for. It will be a bit of a challenge I'm sure but it's about time I stepped up my level of bike control. I'm probably using about 10% of it's capabilities at the moment.

Going to look at doing a weekend with them at some point - hopefully with AndyM.
hardboiled

Postby 7db » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:43 pm

I was out with Andy M on Sunday. He's excellent. Diagnosed some tricky problems I was having. Great attitude and really loves driving!
7db

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Let us know when you are going to Cadwell, its only 30 mins from me, i might pop over for a look if i'm off :lol:
Rick

Postby Rik » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to have a look at Rapidtraining a bit more. looks intresting.

Looking around at some of the prices of doing a "hire and ride" trackday, it looks a bit to pricey so i think i might as well save money and buy an old rat bike that doesn't matter if it gets trashed. :twisted:
Rik

Postby AlistairL » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:59 pm

hardboiled wrote:So after umming and ah-ing for a couple of months now I've finally got around to booking a day at Cadwell park with Rapid Training. It's a long way off but I'm looking forward to it already.

Remember to let us know how you get on, rapid seem to offer an interesting mix of police road plus track training in their portfolio.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby hardboiled » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:32 pm

Anyone know how to heel-toe on a bike? :)
hardboiled

Postby AlistairL » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 pm

hardboiled wrote:Anyone know how to heel-toe on a bike? :)

Facecious reply - I've got size 14 feet, on a Honda ST1300 I can reach both the rider and passenger foot pegs with one foot.

Semi Serious reply - most bikes have the throttle and brake on the right side hand controls, so you can perform a similar action to blip throttle while braking and using your other controls to change down gear. Whether you use all fingers on the brake or less is a matter of technique, the size of your hands, the bike, how cool you want to look, how safe you reckon it is....

A.
AlistairL

Postby hardboiled » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Well after saying I was going to get around to doing some bike-on-track action this year I've at last managed to do so. A few weeks ago I was at Donington doing the Ron Haslam event there on the 600RR's and yesterday I was at Cadwell on a hired Kawasaki 636.

I've heard differing things about the Haslam school but my experience of it was excellent. Due to the different ability level between myself and my friend we managed to get 1 to 1 instruction for the 2nd and 3rd sessions. As a result I found I was going much quicker than I thought I would have - must have been getting something right! 3 * 20 mins sessions doesn't sound long but for a first time on a bike on track (and particularly if you've never been out on track at all) then that's probably about as much concentration as you can muster. Instruction was very good, I took my own kit but the kit they had to loan out looked in good condition and the motorbikes went well although how well I couldn't tell as the speedo was taped over. I guess I was hitting 130-140 down the straight as I was running out of revs in 4th (max revs in 3rd is apparently 122mph). All in all an excellent day.

The Rapid Tracks day at Cadwell was another excellent day. A couple of spots of rain on my visor on the first session were the only sign of bad weather during the day. The rest of the time is was boiling hot!

I started off in the novice group but I found that they were a bit too slow and I wasn't having much fun. So for the second session I headed out at the front of the pack with Andy M and got upto a much more interesting pace but one at which I was still comfortable. On coming in at the end of that session we had a chat and he suggested moving up a group, so I did.

The intermediate group is often called the inconsistent group due to the varying skills of the riders but I actually found them pretty good. On one session I was following an R6 (I think) for a few laps and I could see where I was quicker (into the corner mostly) and where he was quicker (out of the corner). Without mirrors on bikes I couldn't really expect him to move over so I had to make a move on him which I did out of the Gooseneck, down the hill.

Renting a bike on the day worked out very well. I had an easy cruise down there in the car with the leathers etc in the boot along with a coolbox of food/drink and I had an air-conditioned cruise back in the heat as well. The bike ran perfectly and the fuel was topped up for me when needed.

In general I think it's a valuable experience for all bikers to do some form of track riding. There is a big tendency these days for people to ride without doing much braking and that in itself involves good planning skills but it's important to know (in my view) how well the brakes work and how good the bike is at cornering. The "moments" I've had before on the bike have been caused by me lacking confidence and lifting the bike up when it would easily have gone around the corner on a safe line if I'd have tried and not panicked.

Conclusion - lots of fun but when up to speed there is the distinct feeling that getting it wrong will hurt. However I believe my many years doing car training on road/track helped keep things smooth and flowing so when something did perhaps start to go wrong I had the chance to reverse the action and bring it back. And for thrills there's nothing better on two wheels than getting in an undertake on Chris Coner at probably 80mph with the bike leaned over 8)
hardboiled

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm

Sounds great fun, i'm hoping to do one or two more myself soon.
Rick

Postby AlistairL » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:25 pm

Sounds excellent, I hope to do some some day too - interesting what you say about accelleration sense on the track ;)
AlistairL

Postby jasonh » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:54 pm

There's no need for an apostrophe in 'track days'.

Sorry, been reading that Lynne Truss book today :shock: . [Ducks for cover and scuttles away shamefully.]
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum