New Season Kicks off.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby BillZZR600 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:57 pm

With it now being officially Springtime, the MCN Scottish Bike show at Ingleston, WSB with 1 meet done and MotoGP up and running at Quatar as first of the events for 2007 this weekend, it can in many ways be regarded as the New Season for UK bikers.

This thought springs to mind for all of us bikers.

Accident figures show that Springtime, (round now till april/ may) is the most likely time to have an off, as folks get back out there, rusty after the winter layoff, out on newly purchased bikes that they may be unfamilliar with etc,etc

We WILL be well out of practice and not the riding Gods and Godesses we would like to think we were at the end of last summer!!!
Some may well have ridden through the winter, but it WILL have been much more Restrained, Slower, Gentler, Smoother just to get you there. So before you head out and immediately "give it some", on the drier, warmer, longer days........Besides making sure that your machines are clean and fettled, and adjusted Tyres checked, fueled up, Engine warmed and ready to go.......STOP

Make sure that your head, eyes, and body and mind are just as warmed up gently and thoroughly before you try to hard.

Easy into the whole thing over a few rides and miles and days, and weeks, because that way you will get a whole riding season out of it, not just an over quick trip to the local Infirmary/repairshop
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby AlistairL » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:18 pm

BillZZR600 wrote:With it now being officially Springtime, the MCN Scottish Bike show at Ingleston, WSB with 1 meet done and MotoGP up and running at Quatar as first of the events for 2007 this weekend, it can in many ways be regarded as the New Season for UK bikers.

I got the official call to Springtime with my IAM Observer giving me a phone call to check I am still planning to do my IAM test, and arranging our first Observed run for 2007 a week tomorrow.

Now, what was that Starting and Stopping drill stuff ..... :wink:
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:02 pm

BillZZR600 wrote: it can in many ways be regarded as the New Season for UK bikers.

Accident figures show that Springtime, (round now till april/ may) is the most likely time to have an off, as folks get back out there, rusty after the winter layoff, out on newly purchased bikes that they may be unfamilliar with etc,etc

According to another board, 3 bike fatals in the Thames Valley police area last weekend . . . :(
Horse

Postby Spud » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Well, to break my cherry on the forum so to speak, cheers Bill for the cautionary words - now have you got that mirror painted and that drive cleaned yet?

:P

All the very best,

- Spud.

(PS Bill, Think Green Sprint ST and a certain run when I wondered how your Kawasaki really did perform as a jetski and you'll know who I am ...)
“Do not fear death so much, but rather an inadequate life.”

Bertolt Brecht 1898 - 1956
Spud

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:04 am

How do Spud. :D you found your way in here did you. Did EKAL point you this way?
Hows thingsI understand you chopped in the Sprint. What you running these days?

And yes I am still trying to get the water out of my boots much prefered the run up from Annan via Moffat later that year than the very very wet Penicuik pond circuit.LOL

Ps yes the mirror has indeed been painted but the drive still needs cleaned and weeded.
BillZZR600

Postby Spud » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:07 am

BillZZR600 wrote:How do Spud. :D you found your way in here did you. Did EKAL point you this way?

Nope - but I can guess who EKAL might be ....

BillZZR600 wrote:Hows thingsI understand you chopped in the Sprint. What you running these days?

For my life as usual!! Oh what bike? Sorry. Yes, the Sprint had to go to help pay for that "Once in a lifetime holiday" that parents think they must take their kids on - well Mrs Spud did anyway. My idea of a bike trip in Chile doesn't quite tie up with Mrs Spud's idea of fun ....

But, not to be bikeless, I ended up with a 1994 Speed Triple - and spent the price of another bike doing it up. It ended up with a HyperPro rear shock and front springs, geared down 1 tooth at the front, dynojet stage 1 with K&N filter and was the meanest big black brute on the block! :twisted:

But, it was a total misery in the wet and not at all suitable for tutoring so, after fixing yet another annoying fault, I punted it. Probably an error that. So, I'm now thrumming around on a VFR Fi-1 (pre-VTEC).
It's very good though and much easier to move around on the road than the S3 that's for sure!

Anyway, good to hear from you, and looking forward to keeping informed and possibly even entertained by the chaps on here.

All the very best and thanks for the welcome.

- Spud.

Spud

Postby BillZZR600 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:17 pm

Cheers Spud. :wink:

I must give you a bell sometime (yes still got your number in my phone) and time, weather, family and tutoring permitting, arrange a run out sometime, and a catch up.

Bill
BillZZR600

Postby Spud » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Do that Bill! I don't have your number as I lost my phone (it got lifted) at last year's NW200 - I lost Ronnie's number then as well so please do SMS me your number when you get a chance.

I'm off on my first bike outing away this weekend down to Kelso - here's hoping for some sunshine!

Cheers,

Spud.

Spud

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:02 pm

Spud wrote:Do that Bill! I don't have your number as I lost my phone (it got lifted) at last year's NW200 - I lost Ronnie's number then as well so please do SMS me your number when you get a chance.

I'm off on my first bike outing away this weekend down to Kelso - here's hoping for some sunshine!

Cheers,

Spud.

Yes fingers crossed as I also am riding this weekend, as well.
I was out for almost all of Friday, and Sunday last weekend also, and it was most pleasant (if a little chilly of a morn) once the sun got up. As a matter of fact I cut over and up at Garrion Bridge and through past yours on Friday on my way to west Calder via Forth

I have sent you a PM but will also send a txt msg with the numbers.

Ride Safe

Bill
BillZZR600

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum