Theory Test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby James » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:03 pm

I am going to do my theory test soon as I am doing a 5 day "direct access" course this year. To be honest I am not fussed in the slightest by riding a bike but will open up options for me in other areas of life, and if the way congestion charging/traffic in London goes the way I think it will, I will need it within a few years.

I have the book but it is quite thick. I have heard there is a CD ROM of all the questions that would suffice on it's own without reading the book. Anyone know anything about this?

I am pretty good on my highway code / signs / driving theory so am hoping that, other than a few obvious differences like lifesaver checks and positioning, it will be more or less the same.

Advice please!!!
James

Postby ROG » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:43 pm

The CD ROM can be bought from "SMITHS" the stationers. There are a few on the market, some have questions which randomly select a different 35 each time with, I believe, a data bank of about 1,000.
There is also a Hazard perception CD ROM available but I do not know how well it runs on a standard PC.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby AlistairL » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:43 pm

James wrote:I have the book but it is quite thick. I have heard there is a CD ROM of all the questions that would suffice on it's own without reading the book. Anyone know anything about this?

I am pretty good on my highway code / signs / driving theory so am hoping that, other than a few obvious differences like lifesaver checks and positioning, it will be more or less the same.

Advice please!!!

I used the online site at http://www.theory-tests.co.uk/home/ because you get unlimited goes within the period you pay for. Mind you, I was using it more to enhance my highway code etc for doing IAM bike, having passed my bike test years ago.

If you can get online a lot, the online one seems a decent option.

A
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby PeteG » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 pm

AlistairL wrote:
If you can get online a lot, the online one seems a decent option.

A

James

Do you know, I think that might be a bit tricky for him. ;)

Good luck with it James. :)[/b]
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby James » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:37 pm

Dedication see. I belong to one forum only :wink:
James

Postby PeteG » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:10 pm

Lies, damn lies, and answers to traffic law-related questions... ;)
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby James » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:28 pm

Its true! AD is my life. When I grew up, and went through some difficult times, I enjoyed driving and passing my test. As I achieved more in life and got on from those times, so driving seemed to do so, as I improved on it and it was always there. The penny then dropped how much AD meant to me, so I pursued it. Now, I strive to reach the pinnacle - whatever and wherever that is. This forum is my first (out of job) step towards that. :wink:

It's in my blood - ask anyone that knows me. (My mums number is 07854...)
James

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:00 am

If you've read the highway code from cover to cover recently and have a spongy short term memory like I do, you should ace the multiple choice part of the theory test (except the one compulsory "who the hell needs to know *that*?!" question)

I pondered memorising the stopping distances according to the DSA but decided there were better things to put in my head (like my finger to retrieve that particularly troublesome bogie) and they only come up every 5 or so tests, as far as I can judge.

The HPT is a bit harder to prepare for, just click when a hazard actually *develops* rather than threatens. Eg. when a pedestrian walks along the pavement, don't click. When he turns to leave the pavement, start clicking and click about once a second until the hazard is resolved (usually by the camera car stopping or the hazard turning out not to be a problem)

It's actually pretty difficult to click too much, providing there's actually a developing hazard available to click for, so it doesn't hurt to keep clicking until you're sure you're supposed to have spotted the hazard.

James wrote:It's in my blood - ask anyone that knows me. (My mums number is 07854...)

hmm, my keypad doesn't have any dots, ah well...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby James » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:25 am

Yes I hear lots about the HPT and I don't expect to cruise it at all. In fact the opposite, but, no matter what happens, I know it is not a true reflection of the required skill...
James

Postby James » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Who should I book the theroy test through - can I do it online? I am going to book it within a month - just done an online mock test and scroed 32/35 so can't be that difficult. I havent looked at anything yet!

Is it true a minimum tread depth for bikes is 1mm :o :shock:
James

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 pm

James wrote:Who should I book the theroy test through - can I do it online? I am going to book it within a month - just done an online mock test and scroed 32/35 so can't be that difficult. I havent looked at anything yet!

In person, at a test centre only.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/atozttinfo.asp?cat=316

James wrote:Is it true a minimum tread depth for bikes is 1mm :o :shock:

Surprised? Tell us what the tread depth min. limit is for mopeds :)
Horse

Postby AlistairL » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:58 pm

But where are you supposed to find it? :)
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby SammyTheSnake » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:02 am

Horse wrote:
James wrote:Who should I book the theroy test through - can I do it online? I am going to book it within a month - just done an online mock test and scroed 32/35 so can't be that difficult. I havent looked at anything yet!

nonsense book your theory test online

Horse wrote:

Yes

Horse wrote:Surprised? Tell us what the tread depth min. limit is for mopeds :)

"Mopeds should have visible tread." apparently

Possibly there's a market for slicks with coloured rubber, all in grey with black "tread" embedded...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:52 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:
Horse wrote:
James wrote:Who should I book the theroy test through - can I do it online?

nonsense book your theory test online

:oops:

My mistake - I misunderstood James' question as "Can I do my test on-line?" . . .

However, in my 'defence', either way the information is hardly hidden on the DSA web site . . .
Horse

Postby James » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:08 pm

Thats fab - just booked it for 26 April - thanks for that. Can you think of any specific questions I might be asked - I think the online was too easy...
James

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum