Theory Test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:13 pm

James wrote:Thats fab - just booked it for 26 April - thanks for that. Can you think of any specific questions I might be asked - I think the online was too easy...

AFAIK it's random from a database of Qs.

Head off to your local library and see if they have books & CDs to borrow.
Horse

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:14 pm

I bought a 'Pass your test' type DVD (for cars not bikes) for somebody, complete with HPT, video guides and sample questions as well as the 2006 version of the H/Code for £5.99 from the local Morrisons store. Not bad value.
Gromit37

Postby SammyTheSnake » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:45 pm

Horse wrote: :oops:
My mistake - I misunderstood James' question as "Can I do my test on-line?"

Aah, I hadn't thought of that reading, but now you mention it, maybe I was a little rash in assuming the other reading :-P Please accept my apologies if I was a little terse :)

James: hope it goes well, I'll have a word with Him Upstairs on your behalf :)

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby James » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Really appreciate the help - it means alot :wink:
James

Postby MGF » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:58 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:The HPT is a bit harder to prepare for, just click when a hazard actually *develops* rather than threatens. Eg. when a pedestrian walks along the pavement, don't click. When he turns to leave the pavement, start clicking and click about once a second until the hazard is resolved (usually by the camera car stopping or the hazard turning out not to be a problem)

I did my PCV theory test recently (I believe HPT is the same for all types) and believe the above is good advice.

One of the problems advanced drivers have and indeed many experienced drivers is identifying all potential hazards, clicking all over the place and being disqualified for too much clicking.

Another is trying to identify the point at which the 5 points are up for grabs.

First thing to remember is the only hazards to worry about are from other road users and not physical features such as corners or junctions.

Secondly, the points 'window' is set when the hazard develops as Sammy as said but this is in the opinion of whoever sets the test. If you click momentarily before the window opens, think you've covered it and don't click again it will be 'nill points'

My strategy was to click when I identified the potential hazard and click at each point when the situation changed slightly right through the hazard.

As Sammy says you are allowed quite a few clicks; I averaged 6 or 7 per clip.

eg I click when I first see a cyclist (ahead and away from me); again when an oncoming car appears (possible 3 a breast), again when cyclist looks round and a few times as he moves out.

This way you are bound to cover the 'window'

I got 10 5s
2 4s
and a 3 so either I was very lucky or the strategy paid off.

Many advanced motorists who are ADIs have had to retake the theory test because they treat it like an advanced hazard perception test.
MGF

Postby vonhosen » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:42 am

MGF wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:The HPT is a bit harder to prepare for, just click when a hazard actually *develops* rather than threatens. Eg. when a pedestrian walks along the pavement, don't click. When he turns to leave the pavement, start clicking and click about once a second until the hazard is resolved (usually by the camera car stopping or the hazard turning out not to be a problem)

I did my PCV theory test recently (I believe HPT is the same for all types) and believe the above is good advice.

One of the problems advanced drivers have and indeed many experienced drivers is identifying all potential hazards, clicking all over the place and being disqualified for too much clicking.

Another is trying to identify the point at which the 5 points are up for grabs.

First thing to remember is the only hazards to worry about are from other road users and not physical features such as corners or junctions.

Secondly, the points 'window' is set when the hazard develops as Sammy as said but this is in the opinion of whoever sets the test. If you click momentarily before the window opens, think you've covered it and don't click again it will be 'nill points'

My strategy was to click when I identified the potential hazard and click at each point when the situation changed slightly right through the hazard.

As Sammy says you are allowed quite a few clicks; I averaged 6 or 7 per clip.

eg I click when I first see a cyclist (ahead and away from me); again when an oncoming car appears (possible 3 a breast), again when cyclist looks round and a few times as he moves out.

This way you are bound to cover the 'window'

I got 10 5s
2 4s
and a 3 so either I was very lucky or the strategy paid off.

Many advanced motorists who are ADIs have had to retake the theory test because they treat it like an advanced hazard perception test.

And beware of clicking rhythmically, it will disqualify you for that clip & you'll score nil points.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby James » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Please tell me this is not like thw actual HPT test?

http://www.2pass.co.uk/hazardp.html

:cry:
James

Postby James » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:21 pm

I have just read the info and now know it is not like that at all... typical bloke.
James

Postby James » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 am

Booked May 11. It was April 26 but I had to change it as I might be on a course. So fingers crossed. Been doing online tests and getting 33/34 most times.
James

Postby rlmr » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:01 pm

Watch the HPT. It gets more difficult the better/more experienced you are.

Let me explain.

It appears that the HPT requires the candidate to identify hazards (see the previous interesting posts for an explanation). However, whoever devised the programme was probably an ordinary driver or one with no Advanced Driving knowledge :wink: . As Von stated one can get "disqualified" by just clicking rhythmically, but similarly if you click to early the programme picks this up as you being random and jumping the gun so to speak. This is where you can trip up... as an Advanced Driver you will see the hazard developing well before the person who devised the programme thinks there is a hazard, so whilst you are correct the programme thinks you are guessing.

I have only played with the HPT programme, but my son had to sit the H.C. and HPT for his Car, Bike and LGV tests. Chris is also an IAM Biker. He concurs with my thoughts that the Advanced Driver/Rider will regulalry ID the hazard well in advance of the time frame the programme designer identified the hazard.

You have been warned.

All the best with your progress towards 2-wheels.
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby James » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:39 pm

Ta - seems as I thought.

Basiclly, HPT is foolish. OK it serves a purpose but - well, you know the rest...
James

Postby MGF » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:13 pm

rlmr wrote: As Von stated one can get "disqualified" by just clicking rhythmically, but similarly if you click to early the programme picks this up as you being random and jumping the gun so to speak. This is where you can trip up... as an Advanced Driver you will see the hazard developing well before the person who devised the programme thinks there is a hazard, so whilst you are correct the programme thinks you are guessing.

This isn't quite correct. You can click outside of the window so long as you don't click too much. Indeed the instructions at the beginning of the test suggest you should click on the potential hazard once you see it and then again when it 'develops' (when you get points).

Potential hazards don't score points points but the test wont disqualify you unless you click all over the placed which shouldn't happen if you restrict your clicks to other road users and not physical hazards.
MGF

Postby rlmr » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:40 pm

MGF wrote:This isn't quite correct. You can click outside of the window so long as you don't click too much. Indeed the instructions at the beginning of the test suggest you should click on the potential hazard once you see it and then again when it 'develops' (when you get points).

Potential hazards don't score points points but the test wont disqualify you unless you click all over the placed which shouldn't happen if you restrict your clicks to other road users and not physical hazards.

I do not disagree with your synopsis, BUT if the Advanced Driver "clicks" when they perceive the hazard and when they perceive it developing... it can still be too early. I ran the HPT programme as a fun exercise with a group of Observers whose hazard perception in real life is very good... they initially failed the HPT till they were shown the "trick" of the test. HOWEVER, if one treats the HPT like a computer game and not like a simulation of real life, it is possible to fly through the test. Again demonstrated by a few of my friends' primary school aged kids.

I am not intending to knock the HPT, the concept is great, but I am just pointing out the experiences of a number of folk I know so that James does not "shoot himself in the foot" by being "too good." :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby MGF » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:49 pm

When I did my practice ones I had the problem of clicking too early. On my test I no doubt clicked too early as well but I also clicked through the hazard making sure I got in the window somewhere.

You said that clicking early results in the program thinking you are guessing. I disagree with this. The program will think you are guessing if you overclick, not if you click early.

In my view best advice would involve not discouraging clicking early but continuing to click through the hazard as it develops.
MGF

Postby The Thinker » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:31 am

One other thing to watch out for is thinking that the click is a brake. In test versions I found myself repeatedly clicking to brake but the action wasn't slowing, result multiple clips in the scoring window none outside but still scoring zero on the clip.

When I actually did the test the developing hazards seemed a lot more obvious than some of the simulators.
The Thinker

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum