What are they looking for?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby waremark » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:24 pm

[quote="jont"][/quote]
Like ROG I failed to notice that! I pick up posts using the 'View Posts since last visit screen' so I never notice which forum they are in. Hopefully some of the stuff I typed will be relevant or if not then useful to someone else.
waremark

Postby christopherwk » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:39 pm

martine wrote:The SfL fee of £85 (£75 if under age 26) includes:

* as many 'observed' runs as you need by your local group,

Bear in mind your motorcycle observer uses their own bike and petrol, so it may be courteous to offer them payment (or tea and cake, if you debrief at a cafe). However this varies from group to group, and for some groups it could be compulsory.
christopherwk

Postby AlistairL » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:10 am

kawasaki_dave wrote:Hi All!

Have just booked my IAM test (direct through Chiswick not a group) but can't find a good description of exactly what the examiner is looking for!

RoSPA have a whole section dedicated to it on their site, but the IAM seemto give a very broad description!

Nigel's suggested one of your guys can help, please?

Rennie our forum moderator has a website that is "rich in content" as I would say. Look at http://www.rlmr.co.uk/ In the motorcycling section he gives a few pointers on the IAM test.

Regards

Alistair.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby kawasaki_dave » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks Alistair, that's a fantastic link! :D
kawasaki_dave

Postby rlmr » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi Dave,

Hope you find my info of some use, but I am curious as to why anyone would want to sit the test without using the Groups system for inexpensive training. There is no ulterior motive in my question, I just find that there are three possible routes to test standard...
  • Join IAM local Group
  • get help from friend who is IAM or Police Biker
  • pay lots of cash for Advanced Bike Course run by propriety trainer

I have found (in 21 yrs of conducting the bike tests) that the Groups route and friendly Polis Biker route generally give the best results. However This does not take anything away from the many good Advanced Motorcycle trainers (mainly ex-bike cops) who provide training courses for their living.

I have always felt that the learning and practice was more beneficial that the bit of paper to hang on the wall... but the bit of paper is a good reminder to the holder of how they should continue to ride :wink: .

If you have any questions, just get in touch.

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum