What are they looking for?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby kawasaki_dave » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi All!

Have just booked my IAM test (direct through Chiswick not a group) but can't find a good description of exactly what the examiner is looking for!

RoSPA have a whole section dedicated to it on their site, but the IAM seemto give a very broad description!

Nigel's suggested one of your guys can help, please?
kawasaki_dave

Postby TripleS » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:40 pm

kawasaki_dave wrote:Hi All!

Have just booked my IAM test (direct through Chiswick not a group) but can't find a good description of exactly what the examiner is looking for!

RoSPA have a whole section dedicated to it on their site, but the IAM seem to give a very broad description!

Hiya KD,

That sounds like an unusual approach, and I didn't know you could do that. No matter, surely one of the IAM Observer bods on here can set the scene for you.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby kawasaki_dave » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:50 pm

TripleS wrote:
kawasaki_dave wrote:Hi All!

RoSPA have a whole section dedicated to it on their site, but the IAM seem to give a very broad description!

Hiya KD,

That sounds like an unusual approach, and I didn't know you could do that. No matter, surely one of the IAM Observer bods on here can set the scene for you.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Hey TripleS!

I didn't know you could do it until recently either.

Apparently they prefer you to buy the skills for life package - simplifies admin (oh, and makes them mroe money), but if you contact Chiswick direct you can book and pay for your test without joining a group. As I'v done my training elsewhere, I didn't see the need to shell out on the skills for life package if I wasn't going to use the group membership it offers!
kawasaki_dave

Postby TripleS » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:36 pm

I wish you well with the test, KD. Let us know how things go.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:45 pm

The IAM recommends studying its book 'How to be an Advanced Driver'. The driving approach required is the same as that described in Roadcraft, and if you put in practise all that you have read of the Rospa requirements you will also meet the requirements of the IAM.

To give a brief summary, I shall quote from the handout issued by my IAM group to candidates coming up for the test. If the mods think this is covered better elsewhere within the site no doubt someone will provide a link.

TAKING THE ADVANCED DRIVING TEST

The examiner will be looking for a test drive that is:
Safe - safety overrides all other consderations
Legal - you must comply with all laws and regulations
Smooth - use of all of the vehicle's controls
Systematic - you must use the 'System of Car Control' at all times
Reasonably Progressive - at the right speed for all circumstances

In particular the examiner will be looking for positive aspects of your driving, for example:
are you using the 'System of Car Control' to deal with hazards?
do you read the road ahead and show a good sense of anticipation?
bearing in mind the road traffic and weather conditions, do you maintain reasonable progress?
does your driving show evidence of good observation skills?
do you demonstrate the ability to judge speed and distance accurately?
is your braking smooth and progressive?
do you use lijmit point technieque to good effect when cornering?
through good planning do you avoid braking in a bend?

During the Test
If you make a mistake, don't worry, put it behind you and carry on with the test. Remember, the examiner is looking for an overall impression of your driving and may forgive a lot of minor matters.

Demonstrate polish and quiet efficiency. Quiet efficiency is the hallmark of the expert.
waremark

Postby ROG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:47 pm

"Have just booked my IAM test (direct through Chiswick not a group) but can't find a good description of exactly what the examiner is looking for! "

A safe, systematic & smooth drive with the understanding and use of the IPSGA system. To make reasonable progress when safe, legal & convenient to do so.
The examiner will "invite" you to give a commentary, usually on a country road where it goes through a village. They do this to get "inside your head" so they can find out how far ahead and where you are looking. Tell them where the road ahead goes, ie "the road goes downhill then bends right where a side road is on the left".
No need to commentate on, for example, what gear you are NOW going in to - they can see that. They would be impressed if you told them what gear you INTEND to use well before you selected it.
Try to explain about the "limit point" when country driving and how you use it.
Planning is the key to a good drive and that can only come from excellent observations.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ROG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:49 pm

Sorry HPCdriver, we posted at the same time and yours give a better overall view.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kawasaki_dave » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:56 pm

Thanks chaps!

I'll be impressed if he can hear my commentary on a bike though ;)
kawasaki_dave

Postby ROG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:03 pm

You could have said you were taking the bike and not the car test as the positioning aspects are different. There may be more differences but as a non biker, I do not know which.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby christopherwk » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Yes, I booked my commercial vehicle test direct through Chiswick. As I was doing it in a small van, it was exactly the same as the car test, although I did that test in an automatic, but had a couple of lessons in the van from a kind observer I met through this message board, to learn what the examiner looks for while driving with a manual gearbox.

It can be quite nervy having the examiner following you behind, but they often give you the first five minutes to settle down.

Remember to practise slow speed manouevres, they may ask you to do a turn in the road, full lock circles, or riding alongside the examiner as they walk, changing pace and direction. However, if they see you stop at junctions in a controlled and smooth manner, and if slow speed maneouvering through town is done well, they may not ask you to do any slow riding (unless they cruelly choose to do it at the beginning of the test!).

Also with the examiner following behind and there's no radio contact (as far as I know), you are expected to look in your mirrors and follow his indications (which he/she will do in good time). If you do miss the odd one or two, don't worry, just turn around, and find the examiner, who will probably be waiting at the last junction smiling. However, don't miss all his indications, otherwise your rear view observation will be questioned.

Hope this helps.
christopherwk

Postby jont » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:13 pm

ROG wrote:You could have said you were taking the bike and not the car test as the positioning aspects are different.

I would have thought the clue was in the forum KD posted in (ie Riding, not Driving ;))
jont

Postby ROG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:14 pm

There goes MY observation skills - right out the window!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby christopherwk » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:16 pm

ROG wrote:You could have said you were taking the bike and not the car test .

ooh I was wondering about your earlier post how the commentary was going to be done!

As HPC driver said, a few minor mistakes won't matter, the examiner won't be expecting a perfect ride anyway. I remember positioning funny for a corner and braking through mid-bend, mentioned it to the examiner at the debrief and he was fine with it, because I was aware of my mistakes.

Oh yes, and I did miss one of his indications, turned left just after a speed limit change from a 30 to a national. Checked my mirrors just before the nsl sign, accelerated then remember seeing a hint of orange!

PS Read up on the highway code, examiner may ask you a question or two on it at the debrief
christopherwk

Postby kawasaki_dave » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks chaps!

I'm quite fortunate (I think) as I kind of know the examiner. He's taken me out on Bikesafe with the Met at least once (done it twice - IAM test 2 days before my third outing with them), I've spent time talking to him and also marshalled at events he's marshalled.

His exact words last year were "Get your IAM test booked and try to get my area. I'm sure you'll pass no problem so we'll just have a nice ride out!"

I'm not hedging my bets he remembers saying it ;)
kawasaki_dave

Postby martine » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:05 pm

kawasaki_dave wrote:I didn't know you could do it until recently either.

Apparently they prefer you to buy the skills for life package - simplifies admin (oh, and makes them mroe money), but if you contact Chiswick direct you can book and pay for your test without joining a group. As I'v done my training elsewhere, I didn't see the need to shell out on the skills for life package if I wasn't going to use the group membership it offers!

Just to be clear - anyone can apply directly for the IAM test (car or bike) without doing a full 'Skill For Life' (SfL) course. The pass rate is low however (not that this would apply to you Kawasaki_Dave if you've taken other training).

The SfL fee of £85 (£75 if under age 26) includes:
* associate membership of the IAM for 1 year,
* as many 'observed' runs as you need by your local group,
* classroom sessions (depending on local group),
* the textbook 'How to be an Advanced Driver/Rider' and
* when you are ready, your advanced test fee

- all in all an absolute bargain which if charged at commercial rates would cost many hundreds of £.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum