Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby James » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi all - Im sure you all know me already but I have just passed my motorbike test this morning on a 500CC and can now ride anything...

I aim to pootle around this forum a bit more now to learn a bit more about AR. I have already found my AD helps in things such as forward planning, smooth application of controls, positioning e.t.c. but what extra things on a bike can be incorporated that would not apply to a car?
James

Postby BillZZR600 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Good on you James. :D

there are many little things that will come accross to you, but there are primarily two things which IMHO are critical and advantageous to you on a bike as opposed to a car.

1 : enhanced observations available as you will in general be seated higher, and with less objects like Windscreen pillars door frames etc potentially obscuring your vision. More ability to use other senses like Smell (and even taste at times) and hearing, unless you go down the loud can route LOL

2: Manouverability (even whilst being able to stay within your own lane), to make, take and seek better use of the aforementioned observations, alongside the ability to vary your road speed much more quickly than a car.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby James » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Its amazing how all these things make sense now, whereas before I could only have imagined what it would be like for a biker...
James

Postby BillZZR600 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:43 pm

Yep!!

and it can take a while to actually realise that you are making use of things almost as subliminal information.

An example I could give is aproaching say a series of bends on a roural A NSL treelined road late afternoon, low sun, deep shade, late october in addition to road markings and signage.

Car Commentary whilst sitting with heater blower on to keep screens clear: "Mindful of fallen damp leaves and microclimates generated under the overhanging trees, reduced sunlightlight levels etc etc

Bike thoughts: Brrr! feels like its getting colder, may be greasy with condensation possible even slight touch of frost, I can smell that damp mildewy scent of decomposing leaves, being blown towards me in that slight breeze with a hint of frost. Mhhh the change in sound that that cars tyres made on the tarmac as it dipped under the trees, sounds slightly muffled but spongey wet, then a swishing sound, ah there must be some water on the surface washing the leaves away there as well as well, yes I can also taste salt, possibly been gritters along here recently, but the scent of diesel says it may not have been long ago..........etc etc

builds a MUCH more complete and detailed picture (hopefully) than you can ever get in your car, in similar circumstances
BillZZR600

Postby BillZZR600 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:51 pm

Welcome with your first (at times faltering but quickly building confidence with experience and knowledge) steps into our slightly different, but exciting Two wheeled World James 8)
BillZZR600

Postby James » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Cheers Billz.
James

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:05 am

Well done James....

I've given up on two wheels now..... too many close calls :?

Don't let that put you off...you've got to learn for yourself...

The only advice i'll give you...is experience takes time....

I've owned GSXRs, R1100RS, ZZR1100, CBR1100xx Blackbird.... and loved them all :D
Roadcraft

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:15 am

I've riden bikes for 25 years... my best advice would be, look at the road (not just the bit a long way ahead) but the bit with the diesel on it... and never underestimate the stupidity of others (as you know) above all please ... please.. dont take anything for granted. Observations are paramount, and then some.. its the diffrence between life and death on a bike. Use the road, all of it to assist you, you can make yourself much safer by doing this as at least the person in front may notice you.. as if they dont know you are there (advanced driver or not) they may not signal, and a car sticking the brakes on in the wet can be a big heart stopper... if you are a bit close, which with all the advice you have heeded you wont be :wink:
Rick

Postby PeteG » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:46 am

James wrote:... but what extra things on a bike can be incorporated that would not apply to a car?

You don't need to check your seatbelt saving vital seconds at the start of a journey. ;)

Seriously, well done mate, as said, build up your experience, but of course enjoy yourself. :D

Is there a limit on length of time holding a licence before "job" motorcycling? And are you interested in it at all?
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby James » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:19 am

Well not as far as I know. Its a question nobody knows a definitive answer to but al the criteria for a bike courses only stipulate "holds a full motorbike licence", not "has held a full bike licence for two years". I contacted a Chief Inspector in Traffic a few weeks ago and asked whether or not I would be elidgable as a new rider, and he responded saying as long as I had a licence, I could apply. So maybe in the future I will think about moving towards that side of things...

I know what you mean Roadcraft, I just want to be able to ride safely, I am no great biker that will lean on my side hooning down country roads. 4 wheels will always be my primary passion, but that said it's nice to have another tool in the box as they say...
James

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:29 am

James wrote:I know what you mean Roadcraft, I just want to be able to ride safely, I am no great biker that will lean on my side hooning down country roads. 4 wheels will always be my primary passion, but that said it's nice to have another tool in the box as they say...

The additional tool in box is correct. A bike in the garage is great when your car is in for service...or when you're going somewhere across a city, when you know the traffic will be snarled up...
Roadcraft

Postby rlmr » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 am

Well done James. Although you mention your AD is of help to your motorcycling, with time you should find that it will be your motorcycling which is of greatest assistance to your AD (in any other vehicles). Road surfaces and road surface conditions are so crucial to the two-wheeler that your Ob's pertaining to the actual road will get quite polished and this will assist your AD.

Enjoy.

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby OILY PAWS » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:34 pm

rlmr wrote:Well done James. Although you mention your AD is of help to your motorcycling, with time you should find that it will be your motorcycling which is of greatest assistance to your AD (in any other vehicles). Road surfaces and road surface conditions are so crucial to the two-wheeler that your Ob's pertaining to the actual road will get quite polished and this will assist your AD.

Enjoy.

Rennie

i'll back this up from a slightly different angle, our Fire Service driving instructors always remark on my obs and comments regarding the road surfaces when I do the refresher EFAD courses, and rmlr, JR has always maintained that it "assists" the car and LGV driving.
OILY PAWS

Postby rlmr » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:38 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:... rmlr, JR has always maintained that it "assists" the car and LGV driving.

Yep. Its been born out time and time again.

However I would also add that LGV Drivers make better car drivers as they are always looking for problems ahead. It takes longer to slow and take avoiding action in the truck and if you have to stop at a junction or roundabout you have 16 gears to fight through to get back to road speed... a fine incentive to look for opportunities to keep up the progress :wink: But again back to bikes... the rider has far more to lose than any other (his/her life) if they are not attentive to road conditions and other road users. :cry:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Darren » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:20 pm

Nice one James. I've been meaning to do it for a long time and just have never got round to it. I'm aware the test changes next year, so really I need to get it out of the way....!
Darren

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum