Speeding on the Woodhead Pass..>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Roadcraft » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:24 am

For those who haven't seen it...

This is the video of a m/cycle rider, who strapped a video recorder to his tank and then rode across the A628 Woodhead pass....at high speed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmNWqV86fI

The speed on the clock is in MPH.... :shock:
Roadcraft

Postby James » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:25 am

The rider was obviously very foolish to film this irresponsible behaviour.
James

Postby hardboiled » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:20 pm

I was across there a couple of weeks ago in the car. Got so bored doing 30mph behind a cue of traffic that I turned off and let the satnat take the strain. Don't know which road I was on but it was empty and flowing.

Personally I'd not want to be doing significant speed on my bike across so much white paint/cats eyes particularly in the wet!
hardboiled

Postby ipsg.glf » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:59 pm

Organ donors.
ipsg.glf

Postby rlmr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:43 pm

ipsg.glf wrote:Organ donors.

True, but the sad fact is that these folk have the capacity to take out so many more and/or just cause "accidents." However this road seems to be devoid of the usual driver / rider magnets... trees :shock:

Vehicle leaves carriageway nearside (or offside) and collides with tree, seems to the the stock cause of most of the local fatal road traffic incidents. :cry:
rlmr

Postby TripleS » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:29 pm

Roadcraft wrote:For those who haven't seen it...

This is the video of a m/cycle rider, who strapped a video recorder to his tank and then rode across the A628 Woodhead pass....at high speed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmNWqV86fI

The speed on the clock is in MPH.... :shock:

This has been given an airing on various forums, and I thought the consensus was that the speed was shown in KPH. I might be wrong but it doesn't look fast enough to be MPH.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby rlmr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:52 pm

TripleS wrote:... I might be wrong but it doesn't look fast enough to be MPH.

Probably right Dave, though a lot depends on the lense fitted. The speed on the open roads may well be illegal but I have more of an issue on the double white lines, junction and proximity to other traffic. The rider MAY know what they are doing, but I am quite sure that most other users would be caught out (if they actually clocked it) by the bike. Most folk do not appreciate how fast and how fast off the mark, the modern bikes are.

Rennie
rlmr

Postby hardboiled » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:33 pm

rlmr wrote:Most folk do not appreciate how fast and how fast off the mark, the modern bikes are.

And hence why non-sports bikers think it's in km/h. I've heard of cars doing 150mph in the same place so no reason to disbelieve the speedo of a 1000cc superbike reading higher. That and the fact that 174km/h is about 110mph which my 600 would do in second gear - he's definitely not in second gear in the vid!
hardboiled

Postby rlmr » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:26 am

hardboiled wrote: he's definitely not in second gear in the vid!

I'd agree with that :) but I'd still reserve judgement on the video lense effect. The way the bike has its quick sprint to the higher numbers is quite amazing. I have to say that such acceleration is quite common in motorcycles at the lower speeds, but +150 acceleration is normally a tad slower due to the exponential effect of the wind resistance. Notwithstanding the above, such video's do little to enhance the image of the 2-wheeler. Perhaps if the riding had been a better example and the speedo was not in view, then albeit a quick run, nobody would be able to use this as ammunition against us :wink:
rlmr

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:17 am

Presumably as you can see the plate of the guy in front who also ignores the no-overtaking the YouTube vid has been used during prosecution?
Darren

Postby rlmr » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:25 am

Darren wrote:Presumably as you can see the plate of the guy in front who also ignores the no-overtaking the YouTube vid has been used during prosecution?

Might well be... I know that Dumfries & Galloway and Lothian & Borders police Forces in Scotland actively pursue posted video footage with a view to prosecution :lol:
rlmr

Postby AlistairL » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:33 pm

TripleS wrote:This has been given an airing on various forums, and I thought the consensus was that the speed was shown in KPH. I might be wrong but it doesn't look fast enough to be MPH.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
Someone on another forum said it was a Yamaha R1, and if it is then the display on the R1 can be switched between kph and mph. It looks like the units indicator in the video is in the top right which would be mph. http://www.3rotor.com/images/r1/dash.jpg

But crossing those white lines at speed in the wet :shock: ? It looks like there is a bit of tramlining on the solids, I was fully expecting the rear to spin up at points :(

Regards

A.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:55 am

rlmr wrote:
ipsg.glf wrote:Organ donors.

A thought:

One dead motorcyclists aka 'organ donor'

=
heart lungs
kidneys
liver
other pink squidgy bits

One death = how many lives saved/enhanced?
Horse

Postby rlmr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:10 pm

That is certainly one view point, but from the majority of "Fatals" I attended in my career, there were not many parts which one could recycle. More chance of recycling car drivers... though of late even they have not faired well when coming up against 100yrs old trees :cry:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:53 pm

rlmr wrote:That is certainly one view point, but from the majority of "Fatals" I attended in my career, there were not many parts which one could recycle. More chance of recycling car drivers... though of late even they have not faired well when coming up against 100yrs old trees :cry:

Rennie

It wasn't a viewpoint intended too seriously.

One of the coppers from Rapid Training, also IIRC an acc. investigator, had a theory that oak trees on the outside of bends were the result of greatgreatgreatgreatgrandfather staggering home drunk from the inn, falling in a ditch (because he carried straight on instead of rounding the bend), and the acorns he'd kept (as a special treat for the 'pet' pig) rolling out of his pocket.
Horse

Next

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum