Im on the road!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:45 pm

James wrote:The clutch has been fixed, the cable was from a 250 and too short!

How odd, since they're effectively the same bike but with just different sized holes in the engine . . . *

Check the rest of the cables (speedo, throttle) to make sure they aren't stretched on full lock.

* Mind you, my R850RT has a cable clutch while the 1100s have hydraulic!
Horse

Postby OILY PAWS » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 pm

Now it wont start, and we suspect the solenoid has packed up, I have posted on visordown, but there is a video here if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da0NE2Nn9z0

My CB 900 used to do the same, take the side panel of and either unplug the relay/solenoid and plug it back in, or tap it with a screwdriver handle while trying to start it.
OILY PAWS

Postby Gareth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:16 pm

If it was a car I'd say the solenoid or starter motor had failed or the battery wasn't very good; doubt a bike is that much different.

On the video you say you can jump start it? If you can, then it probably is the battery. If you meant you can bump start it, then it is one of the other two.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby James » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Horse wrote:

How odd, since they're effectively the same bike but with just different sized holes in the engine . . . *

Check the rest of the cables (speedo, throttle) to make sure they aren't stretched on full lock.

* Mind you, my R850RT has a cable clutch while the 1100s have hydraulic!
400 is slightly longer cable, the connector is further back on the engine. Only talking an inch or two, but world of difference. Seller admitted he made this mistake when I challenged him via email!
James

Postby James » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:28 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:

Now it wont start, and we suspect the solenoid has packed up, I have posted on visordown, but there is a video here if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da0NE2Nn9z0

My CB 900 used to do the same, take the side panel of and either unplug the relay/solenoid and plug it back in, or tap it with a screwdriver handle while trying to start it.
Tried both, no joy
James

Postby James » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Gareth wrote:If it was a car I'd say the solenoid or starter motor had failed or the battery wasn't very good; doubt a bike is that much different.

On the video you say you can jump start it? If you can, then it probably is the battery. If you meant you can bump start it, then it is one of the other two.

Bump was what I meant! Must be solenoid. £10 of ebay - here I come again :(
James

Postby rlmr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:14 pm

James,

I too had a CB400N Superdream and have to confess the only problem encountered was "dead" fuel in the float chambers if the bike was every left for a few weeks. Long shaft screwdriver was the trick... used it also on my CX500 to deal with stale fuel. Latter remedy was to turn off the fuel cock about 1/2 mile from home and leave bike running whilst I washed it after the run home from work... left float chambers empty. No further problems.

However I think you must remember that whilst Honda engineering is super and I am sure the vendor did a good restoration... it is an old bike and uses older technology so expect the odd idiosyncrasy with her :wink:

Enjoy the bike. Do NOT oversize the tyres, especially the front. Keep to the original specification for tyres as they do not like the larger, more modern profiles.

At least your warm southern UK weather will allow you to use your machine whilst some of my Aberdeenshire friends are snowed in!

Rennie
rlmr

Postby AlistairL » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:25 pm

Horse wrote:* Mind you, my R850RT has a cable clutch while the 1100s have hydraulic!
The 1100s are cable driven (as mine is), the 1150s are hydraulic. Hence if you don't change the clutch fluid the clutch cylinder can fail and leak over the (otherwise dry) clutch plates.

Regards, Alistair.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby Simon Lester » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 am

Good bike the CB400.
Further to what rlmr posted, pay attention to the wheels. By the look of it yours has built up wheels that need a light squirt of WD or similar to the rivets. They have been known to corrode under the mating surfaces which makes life interesting if left unchecked. It would be worth contacting the restorer to ask if he had the tyres off. When you come to change the tyres (it's a good exercise to pop then off anyway so you can mend your own punctures!) give the rims a good look over.
Keep the rubber side down...
IAM Qualified Observer
RoSPA Diploma
Guzzi 1100spt
R1200GS ADV
'53 Tiger 100 Metisse
Simon Lester

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum