Im on the road!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:00 am

martine wrote:
What other serious bikes have peeps had?

RD250LC
RD350LC
RD350YPVS
CB750 four ahem!
GSXR750WN
FZR1000EXUP
GSXR1100 widowmaker! not as bad as made out.
FZ750 genesis
RGV250x2.. great fun
Suzuki Katana 1100
Honda VTR1000
Honda CBR6000F
Honda CBR600 track bike.. yay great fun but hasle to get there.
Honda CB500 work commuter
Kawasaki ZX9R E1, current weekend hooning machine.
Rick

Postby James » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:29 pm

Bit of advice if you will,

I am finding sometimes if I pull the throttle back sharply whilst on the move the revs race slightly higher than the engine speed and the bike doesn't respond in accordance with the revs. Apparently it may just be a simple question of adjusting the clutch mechanism? (No idea why, someone just mentioned it).

It only happnes on sharp application of throttle. I have done the fornt brake on dip clutch test and the bike responds normally, so guess the clutch is fine. Also the seller said clutch is fine so am wondering what might be the cause?

It tends to happen in the lower few gears more, and also when the bike is colder. But it does seem to be a feature. Hopefully just clutch adjuster on side of handle as has been suggested to me...
James

Postby AlistairL » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:41 pm

James wrote:Bit of advice if you will,

I am finding sometimes if I pull the throttle back sharply whilst on the move the revs race slightly higher than the engine speed and the bike doesn't respond in accordance with the revs. Apparently it may just be a simple question of adjusting the clutch mechanism? (No idea why, someone just mentioned it).
Sounds like the clutch to me, on a wet clutch (I'm assuming that's what you have) it can be anything from friction limiting oil additives contaminating the plates, worn out plates, improperly adjusted stuff etc.

Regards

Alistair.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby Red Herring » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Daft question James but I'm guessing you would recognise wheelspin......
Red Herring

Postby James » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:34 pm

Its funny because that is EXACTLY how it feels and I have just used that to describe the sensation to a friend of mine...
James

Postby AlistairL » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:38 pm

Red Herring wrote:Daft question James but I'm guessing you would recognise wheelspin......
Lol, good point, I'm so heavy that it takes a lot to provoke wheelspin.

One for the more experienced then - what is the difference in feel on a motorcycle between a slipping clutch and wheelspin?

Regards

Alistair.
AlistairL

Postby OILY PAWS » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:40 pm

A squirming rear end :wink:
OILY PAWS

Postby James » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Ass on floor?
James

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:20 am

If your 400 superdream is wheelspining i suggest you ebay if, should fetch a fortune! Sounds like a slipping clutch to me, and adjustment is unlikely to sort it, well not at the handlebar end. Has it been stood a while? It may be sticking.
Rick

Postby James » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:17 am

I think it has been in a garage for a while. Just desperate to sort it. Hoping it is a minor adjustment. Clutch cable e.t.c.

It does ride very well, strong and true, never skips a beat. The revs just get excited if I YANK it back...

SO annoying :(
James

Postby Red Herring » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:40 am

AlistairL wrote:One for the more experienced then - what is the difference in feel on a motorcycle between a slipping clutch and wheelspin?

Regards

Alistair.

That's easy, you feel clutch slip as a sickening feeling in you stomach followed by a dent in your wallet. Wheel spin is initially felt in the posterior followed rapidly by an increase in heart rate and grin factor (depending on perspective). Sometimes the feeling rapidly returns to the posterior region again.
Red Herring

Postby James » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:51 pm

I have spent all morning trying to get onto Visordown, but no validation emails received despite numerous addresses and no joy. If something is so difficult to get onto it's a wonder it has any members at all!

VERY annoyed!
James

Postby AlistairL » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:38 pm

James wrote:I have spent all morning trying to get onto Visordown, but no validation emails received despite numerous addresses and no joy. If something is so difficult to get onto it's a wonder it has any members at all!

VERY annoyed!
You may find that most of the members predate the recent TWO buyout and subsequent upgrade.

Have a look at http://forums.therevcounter.com/

Horse? Are you out there to enlighten us? :)
AlistairL

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:12 pm

AlistairL wrote:
James wrote:I have spent all morning trying to get onto Visordown, but no validation emails received despite numerous addresses and no joy. If something is so difficult to get onto it's a wonder it has any members at all!

VERY annoyed!
You may find that most of the members predate the recent TWO buyout and subsequent upgrade.

Have a look at http://forums.therevcounter.com/

Horse? Are you out there to enlighten us? :)

About Hondas or Visordown?

FWIW TheRevCounter contains much of Vd's old crew anyway. There's likely to be Honda & old bike -specific boards about too.

However, I'd like to hope it's just adjustment, perhaps Google for set-up and diagrams, and make sure it's not still under slide pressure even when the lever's fully out - there should be a little slack in the cable, which equates to the lever feeling 'loose' when released; look for a few mm play at the far end of the lever.

Check the other end of the cable too. The bike looked superbly clean in the pics - perhaps it needs oil on the mechanism?

Or it could be that the cable has frayed and a loose strand is catching inside; slacken it off and remove at both ends to see if it moves easily.

The good thing is that multi-plate wet clutches can put up with a fair bit of abuse.
Horse

Postby James » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:01 pm

The clutch has been fixed, the cable was from a 250 and too short!

Now it wont start, and we suspect the solenoid has packed up, I have posted on visordown, but there is a video here if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da0NE2Nn9z0
James

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum