Filtering down nearside

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:54 pm

If a serving police officer isn't 100% certain there is no wonder us lot struggle to know what we can and cannot do. I will continue to filter and if I do get stopped I'll see what happens. I only do this at very slow speed and only to allow me to take advantage of my 2 wheels, but unlike most of my cycling friends I do stop at red lights. :twisted:
Rick

Postby vonhosen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Rick wrote:
vonhosen wrote:
James wrote:Well even if ther are cyclists, it seems there is no offence of using a cycle lane in any mechanically propelled vehicle. Some lanes have raised kerbs and are only wide enough for cycles, but those shaded areas that form part of the road sem only a suggested route for bikes, not an enforcable lane.

There is an offence but only where you cross a solid line (mandatory cycle lane) in hours of operation.

So to filter down a broken lined cycle lane is legal? I am just checking as I do this every day on my commute (or not :wink: depending on the answer)

Broken lines are advisory only
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/ ... cle15.html
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby AlistairL » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:12 pm

vonhosen wrote:
Broken lines are advisory only
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/ ... cle15.html
I'm going to show how obviously I'm not a cyclist by this remark, but I found it illuminating that the Cambridge Cyclists chose to point out that the mandatory applies only to motorists, not to Cyclists.

All this stuff I have to do and pay to get trained and licensed to use my vehicle, goodness me. Mind you, I guess it was still easier than getting fit enough to ride a bicycle or pay to keep a horse..

A.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby Red Herring » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:02 pm

I believe the cycle lanes are also marked with a road sign. If it is blue and round with a picture of a cycle it is for cycles only( ie: no cars/motorbikes etc), if it is blue and retangular it is advisory only.
Red Herring

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Red Herring wrote:I believe the cycle lanes are also marked with a road sign. If it is blue and round with a picture of a cycle it is for cycles only( ie: no cars/motorbikes etc), if it is blue and retangular it is advisory only.

Or as in my area mostly no signage at all.
Rick

Postby James » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 am

My last post on page 1 is what I thought was the case, and will continue to believe. It makes sense due to the usual rules regarding white lines and the abscene of legislation that I can find in regards to cycle ways (by cycle ways I mean all other cycle paths that are not "designated" by way of signs or kerb/divider etc)
James

Postby rlmr » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:25 am

Rick wrote:If a serving police officer isn't 100% certain there is no wonder us lot struggle to know what we can and cannot do.

I think the problem has been illustrated well in this thread. There are some cast iron offences, such as failure to comply with a Stop sign, a Red Traffic Light or Crossing a solid white line. However most other traffic management schemes are covered by local Traffic Regulation Orders.

In some cases (as mentioned) the paint on the road is for effect and is not actually covered by any regulations so whilst failure to comply with the Road's Engineer's wishes may be contributory in a case of Careless driving there is no specific offence in its own right. In other cases there is a properly passes TRO and failure to comply is an offence.

Who said it was easy :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby James » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:25 am

No ticket and no concience!

I thought it was all good... felt weird as a new rider, but now feels totally natural.

Amazing how much you pick uo and so quickly...
James

Previous

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum