DSA Post-test Trainers check test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving. IAM, RoSPA/RoADA, High Performance Course. All associated training. Motorcycle training.

Postby ton class » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:05 pm

I have just had a letter through asking me to report for my check test to stay on the DSA Post-test Motorcycle Trainers List. As part of this test the examiner asks you to perform one of set of scenarios. This is normal type stuff such as positioning, overtaking, corners & bends, etc...

It also has a scenario which they call Open box. I haven't the foggiest what this is? Will someone please enlighten me.
ton class

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:27 am

ton class wrote:I have just had a letter through asking me to report for my check test to stay on the DSA Post-test Motorcycle Trainers List. As part of this test the examiner asks you to perform one of set of scenarios. This is normal type stuff such as positioning, overtaking, corners & bends, etc...

It also has a scenario which they call Open box. I haven't the foggiest what this is? Will someone please enlighten me.

Guessing, I'd say you just have to see what the examiner does as faults, and that they won't be along any 'theme'.

Have you re-read the RPMT brochure - the info in there about the check test is worth looking at.

I've not done mine yet - still waiting to hear from DSA to find out whether my application has been accepted - but what I have heard is that they follow DSA requirements rather than assessing your 'training' abilities.

ie Short introductory chat (C. 5 mins - see the RPMT pack), then ride - assess - find faults, correct faults - repeat. Forget any ideas of planning a lesson :(
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ton class » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks Horse

Now I see what Open box is. I gather it means just look at the ride & assess & fix any faults/risks without first being given a scenario

I have been given six weeks to make an appointment with the test centre. I don't have a DSA background so I am a little concerned as to what they are expecting. I have read the Notes for Guidance & that seems to be implying that lesson plans are required.
ton class

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 pm

ton class wrote: I don't have a DSA background . . . seems to be implying that lesson plans are required.

Me neither :)

I'm still awaiting a decision from them as to whether they'll let me in (since they've just moved offices I guess that's partly to do with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a late rush of applicants).

I've only heard from one instructor about his check-test - but it seemed to be about 3 loops 'around the block' [or 'route' ;) ], with a stop for analysis/comment between them, and a few 'odd' bits of riding thrown in by the DSA guy.

I'll prepare basic notes for each of the scenarios, but I don't expect to be able to 'present a lesson' as I would usually.*

* How I normally work:
Pre-course contact: email & Q sheet
Session intro: rider's background & history, discuss Q answers, decide outcomes, then create plan for the day.

Don't think that'll fit their 'one hour' format :)

One thing, tho', use the intial 5 minute chat as a 'forensic' QA to identify as much as you can about the 'rider' and how to run the session.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:02 pm

ton class wrote:I have just had a letter through asking me to report for my check test to stay on the DSA Post-test Motorcycle Trainers List.

How did it go?
Horse

Postby ton class » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Not been as yet. I have been busy with my real job. They give you six weeks to make an appointment.

Will appraise when I've done it.
ton class

Return to Advanced Motorcycling Forum